Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Chuck Yeager's SAK.

cbl51 · 30 · 5066

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Chuck Yeager's SAK.
on: September 23, 2013, 05:23:23 AM
I just got done reading the book that Chuck Yeager wrote about his backpacking trips in the Sierra Nevada mountains of California. Very interesting read. He's a fanatic on fishing for the California golden trout, and he liked to hike in and backpack for two to three weeks at a time. To keep his pack weight down, he did not carry a dedicated fishing knife, nor a real camping knife. He carried just his every day pocket knife which is a Victorinox executive. Apparently this small SAK was all Yeager needed for a couple of weeks in the mountains, fishing and eating what he caught.

I have a great deal more respect for the 74mm, and Yeager.
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Re: Chuck Yeager's SAK.
Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 05:47:38 AM
Now that you mention it, I think I had heard this story before.  Nonetheless, definitely a good reminder of both the capability of a SAK and of the most important tool being the one between your ears.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 08:26:56 AM
I think that just further enhances the legend that is Yeager :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline brooksbman

• Go Dawgs!
Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 02:52:43 AM
Great story on Chuck Yeager.  I too have heard the story that his EDC knife was the Executive...LoL..that knife has been my EDC since I purchased it in 1993.  That was my first SAK and I still have it today. 

I tend to find too that the Executive covers most of my needs that I need for a knife.  The only change that I would make would be the inclusion of the SAK Rambler/Vagabond on my key-chain.  That knife offers me a bottle opener and other useful tools.

Great article. 

Offline marktaylor

Reply #4 on: October 22, 2020, 12:18:43 PM
I just got done reading the book that Chuck Yeager wrote about his backpacking trips in the Sierra Nevada mountains

Would you mind telling us the title of the book ?

us Offline 39hotrod

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: October 23, 2020, 02:03:30 AM
7 yr old post.. :dunno:
All who wander are not lost..

It only take a little bit of sharp..

ca Offline Jazz

Reply #6 on: October 23, 2020, 02:15:40 AM
7 yr old post.. :dunno:

What does that matter? I’d love to know, too.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: October 23, 2020, 02:32:00 AM
I've not read it myself but I suspect the book in question is called "Press On!"  :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: October 23, 2020, 02:54:05 AM
This is a tricky one!

In his autobiographies-- Yeager and Press On!-- he mentions using a penknife. But he doesn't specify which penknife....that I recall.

There was an issue of Blade magazine from Sep 1992 that ran a story about Yeager and his Vic Executive. I think this is where the connection between Yeager and the Exec was made.

This is the best shot I could find (I'll try to track down a better version and the full text.). Sorry for the poor quality:

To add a bit of controversy, I've seen references to a penknife (Case? or Western?) being held as part of a "Yeager Collection" at a school in West Virginia. It would surprise me if General Yeager didn't own several penknives, pocket knives, and Jack knives over the course of his lifetime. Even a few of us have more than one pocket knife.... :whistle: 

What seems clear is that General Yeager did qualify to be a Swiss Army Knight for at least one day...back in 1992. And that makes him pretty OK in my book.  ;)

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #9 on: October 23, 2020, 03:14:37 AM
Great post, Nix, I enjoyed reading that.  :)

Just a reminder that at age 97, Gen. Yeager is still very much on this Earth. :salute:  Perhaps, if asked nicely, he might be willing to shed light on his pocket knife usage and preferences.
Rambler

Offline marktaylor

Reply #10 on: October 23, 2020, 08:44:31 AM
Thanks Nix, I wondered where the legend of Chuck Yeager SAK came from.
I borrowed "Press On" from Open Library and searched for knife, Swiss, Victorinox, etc - but nothing relevant found.
Nevertheless his books are a great read, I specially liked the autobiography part where he is shot down over France and escapes to Spain through Pyrenees with help of French resistance - what a good movie that would make.

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: October 25, 2020, 01:42:11 AM
Thanks Nix, I wondered where the legend of Chuck Yeager SAK came from.
I borrowed "Press On" from Open Library and searched for knife, Swiss, Victorinox, etc - but nothing relevant found.
Nevertheless his books are a great read, I specially liked the autobiography part where he is shot down over France and escapes to Spain through Pyrenees with help of French resistance - what a good movie that would make.

In the book "Press On" in the chapter where he talks about the gear that is in his backpack, he lists a 'fishing knife' but says his pocket knife can do that job to see weight and not carry the dedicated fishing knife. This added to his appearances on shows like The American Sprtsman hosted by Kurt Gowdy, and in articles on fishing in Field and Stream with Grits Gresham, he's photographed trimming line or other fishing related jobs with a very familiar looking little SAK in hand. In one article, he and outdoor writer Gresham were comparing pocket knives, and Grits had a basic little Gerber Ultra Light LST, and Yeager had his SAK executive.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: October 25, 2020, 02:07:00 AM
 :tu:   :like:

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #13 on: October 25, 2020, 02:24:55 AM
In the book "Press On" in the chapter where he talks about the gear that is in his backpack, he lists a 'fishing knife' but says his pocket knife can do that job to see weight and not carry the dedicated fishing knife. This added to his appearances on shows like The American Sprtsman hosted by Kurt Gowdy, and in articles on fishing in Field and Stream with Grits Gresham, he's photographed trimming line or other fishing related jobs with a very familiar looking little SAK in hand. In one article, he and outdoor writer Gresham were comparing pocket knives, and Grits had a basic little Gerber Ultra Light LST, and Yeager had his SAK executive.

:cheers:
Rambler

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #14 on: October 26, 2020, 01:27:37 AM
Is there interest in a Yeager Challenge sometime this coming year? :D
Barry

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: October 26, 2020, 02:20:18 AM

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #16 on: October 26, 2020, 04:12:02 AM
 :woohoo:  We'll figure out the details after the New Year buddy!
Barry

us Offline italophil

Reply #17 on: December 08, 2020, 05:23:47 AM
Chuck Yeager past away. Let's make it a memorial challenge.

nz Offline Storm

Reply #18 on: December 08, 2020, 06:15:40 AM
Rest in peace General. What a life that man led  :hatsoff:
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are "

ca Offline Altis

Reply #19 on: December 08, 2020, 08:07:51 AM
Chuck Yeager past away. Let's make it a memorial challenge.

Rather coincidentally, Victorinox discontinued the 74mm line including the Executive very recently.

I do believe a farewell challenge to both Chuck Yeager and the Executive / 74mm line is in order.  :salute: Best to have it during fishing/camping season.

I will add that I only recently got my first Executive and I absolutely love it. There's something particularly solid feeling about it. I can see how the large knife would make an excellent fillet knife for reasonable-sized fish.

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: December 08, 2020, 08:09:17 AM
 :salute:

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #21 on: December 08, 2020, 08:23:38 AM
From an obituary:

"I was probably the last guy who will get to do the kind of flying I did," he said at the time [2002]. "I came into the military as an 18-year-old kid before World War II, never having been in an airplane, never having even seen one on the ground. It turned into quite an opportunity."

RIP, Gen. Yeager.  :salute:
Rambler

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #22 on: December 08, 2020, 01:55:00 PM
RIP Sir.  There will never be another like you.  :salute:
Barry

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #23 on: December 08, 2020, 01:56:16 PM
July was when Nix and I would hold the Executive Challenge.   I don't know how the calendar looks, but how does that sound?
Barry

gb Offline BePrepared

Reply #24 on: December 08, 2020, 02:25:06 PM
BBC News : RIP Chuck Yeager  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-55225903   :(

If Victorinox do a Chuck Yeager executive, I'm all for getting one.

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: December 08, 2020, 02:35:18 PM
BBC News : RIP Chuck Yeager  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-55225903   :(

I just saw that on the news. So sad, a real hero in every way.

If you all don't have an executive, they you need to get one to have a Chuck Yeager memorial challenge. And read both his books; "Yeager" and "Press On" are both inspiring reads.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: December 08, 2020, 05:01:18 PM
Yes, indeed.   :iagree:

00 Offline WolfyW

Reply #27 on: December 08, 2020, 06:08:41 PM
As a man who likes to hunt and fish, I find the idea of using and shell handled knife to clean fish/game a mistake. I've used a Vic Pioneer once on small game. But there are no snap on handle slabs for gore to inevitably hide under and spawn bacteria. I'll speculate that the Executive was used to trim fishing knots etc. I use a Classic every outing for the same purpose.
"The older I get, the better I was".

ca Offline Altis

Reply #28 on: December 08, 2020, 07:04:46 PM
As a man who likes to hunt and fish, I find the idea of using and shell handled knife to clean fish/game a mistake. I've used a Vic Pioneer once on small game. But there are no snap on handle slabs for gore to inevitably hide under and spawn bacteria. I'll speculate that the Executive was used to trim fishing knots etc. I use a Classic every outing for the same purpose.

Seems he used it for both, from what I've read.

Keep in mind the main blade on the Executive is long enough that it should work pretty well as a small fillet knife. Should be able to process a small-medium size fish without getting fish past the base of the blade.

Having said that, I'm hesitant to use any folder at all for processing meat or food at all, really. You could maybe pierce a piece of rubber or plastic sheet to form a protective barrier around the tool with only the blade going through, I suppose.

ca Offline Altis

Reply #29 on: December 08, 2020, 07:06:09 PM

I worry that discontinuing the 74mm line recently reduces the likelihood we'll see one.

That and the fact we still don't have a Felix Immler special edition, which is beyond me.  :dunno:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%