Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Further Charge mods

Jors · 3 · 2265

za Offline Jors

• Johan Crous
Further Charge mods
on: October 13, 2013, 07:49:45 PM
I refer to my recent mod of the Charge TTI:
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47678.0.html

The mating session between the two models were successfull and I am happy. Now for the next one:
I would like to remove the saw, file and scissors. I would like to add a thin awl in the scissors slot. If I do not do this, Then I will mill an awl from a MUT longer screw driver bit.

I would like to add a bigger size scissors in the one OHO slot and a blade changer in the other, remaining OHO slot.

Here is the new blade changer of the coming generation 2 Surge. I wonder if that will fit in the Charge. If I just could figure out how it is working, maybe I will be able to make one that will fit into the Charge TTi / Wave:

In the second photograph there is something new added. I assume it is a tensioner for when you add a jigsaw blade that is thinner than those of the Surge. Well designed.
I think this new one may bee too thick for the charge, but I may be wrong.
But I am right now too lazy to dug out my first generation Surge to measure.
If I can change the design of the outer (swiveling) part that the tensioner is part of it and not something seperate, then maybe it will fit the Charge. I am fearing that it may be too thick.

The Charge Commander (I think) was modded with the old blade changer. Was a washer still needed?
Regards
Johan

LEATHERMAN: Charge TTi; Super Tool 300; Surge; Pulse; Squirt P4; Micra; MUT STD; Bit Adapter; Universal Bit Adapter; Bit Extender; Leatherman Bit Kit; SOG: Powerlock (S60); Pocket PowerPlier (S44-N); Paratool (S31-N); CrossCut (CC51-CP); Rebar.
Lightsaver LS805 Commando; LED P7 & P5 (EDC); Maratac AAA (EDC Backup); Maglite Solitaire LED.
Cold Steel Lawman; Cudeman 8" & 10" Bowie. 4 Joseph Rogers, 4 Opinel; Buck 110 & 112 & 503.
www.johancrous.co.za

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Re: Further Charge mods
Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 10:19:09 PM
This is how Metro put his (old style) blade exchanger in his Charge:

Blade Exchanger Yes! You read right, a blade exchanger (BE). I've always said it couldn't be done, but somehow I did it. Taking the blade exchanger from a Surge, the small part was carefully shaped and the locking surface mated with the smaller liner lock. This was the easy part. The BE is quite thick and needs room to move and separate to replace the blades. This was a challenge, but thanks to the thick Ti scales, material could be removed to make room for it. A whole 1mm was milled off, and a little lip was left to make sure the scale properly when buttoned up.   Here you can see how much difference there is in thickness and how much Ti had to be removed.   To maintain as much stock rigidity as possible, the least amount of Ti was removed. If you look carefully on the end of the BE, you can see where the lip is from the milling.   Oh at this point, I polished the bronze washers with 800 grit wet.   What resulted from this mash up of Titans, is a svelte 4" tool with the capacity and tool set of the 4.5" beast. While I was at it, I made the newly transplanted BE OHO with the addition of a bill shaped slot.    I ground down one of the saw blades and made the end pointy, dry wall style.   So any T-Shank tool can be used, but not folded into the tool. 
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Re: Further Charge mods
Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 04:17:05 AM
This is how Metro put his (old style) blade exchanger in his Charge:

Blade Exchanger Yes! You read right, a blade exchanger (BE). I've always said it couldn't be done, but somehow I did it. Taking the blade exchanger from a Surge, the small part was carefully shaped and the locking surface mated with the smaller liner lock. This was the easy part. The BE is quite thick and needs room to move and separate to replace the blades. This was a challenge, but thanks to the thick Ti scales, material could be removed to make room for it. A whole 1mm was milled off, and a little lip was left to make sure the scale properly when buttoned up.   Here you can see how much difference there is in thickness and how much Ti had to be removed.   To maintain as much stock rigidity as possible, the least amount of Ti was removed. If you look carefully on the end of the BE, you can see where the lip is from the milling.   Oh at this point, I polished the bronze washers with 800 grit wet.   What resulted from this mash up of Titans, is a svelte 4" tool with the capacity and tool set of the 4.5" beast. While I was at it, I made the newly transplanted BE OHO with the addition of a bill shaped slot.    I ground down one of the saw blades and made the end pointy, dry wall style.   So any T-Shank tool can be used, but not folded into the tool. 

:rant: It won't let me post the pics, and everything's messed up, so here's the link to the post: it's a bit at the end of the post. As you can see, he made the titanium scales thinner to make room for the thicker, old style BE.
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,41159.msg657045.html#msg657045
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD
 12%