Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Ideas for my next SAK

fi Offline AlephZero

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf smash!
Ideas for my next SAK
on: October 20, 2013, 12:46:30 PM
I have the Huntsman, Alox Farmer and Swisschamp...

So, I've been wondering what to get next, should I get another 91mm or maybe go for 111mm. Toolwise I think I already have everything I need so this one is just for the sake of getting a new SAK :D

So, my fellow multitoolers, let me know your ideas :)

PS: The Vic Rescue Tool is already on my list... :D
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 12:48:48 PM by Aleph78 »
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Ideas for my next SAK
Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 12:49:01 PM
If your going 91mm, why not get one of the cybertools as they have a unique tool?

Or a work champ makes a bloody good backpacking sak IMO :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 12:56:53 PM
Hmm, you seem to like saws, so why not the latest Soldier? Or a Wenger Ranger-model, now they're still there  :pok:
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 01:28:48 PM
How about a Wenger 557?
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 01:32:18 PM
Victorinox Trekker ! 

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 03:18:32 PM
If you want a small one - Why not try the Viccy Compact. It's fantastic.
Very slim but great tool set for every day (indoor/about town) use - and of course the plus scales. A friend of mine was really impressed recently when I whipped the pen out of the knife to make a note :-)

If you want big - Get a Ranger - They are fanatstic outdoor/campsite knives - Maybe the Patagonia 179 - Lovely bright yellow scales with the rubber grips, nice toolset - but not too wide

Or get a nice wee Wenger Evowood - They are beautiful. Maybe the 14. You'll be surprised how much you like the smaller size if you keep it in a pocket.

Actually just get any Wenger whilst you can - I guess they won't be rare for a while - But they certainly won't be around after next year.

The Compact can wait!!   

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 03:31:49 PM
Yeah, something Wenger seems to be missing in your collection. :D I don't think they'll disappear from the market very soon as lots of them were made but the prices may go a bit up as the stock declines.

Maybe a nice Ranger 78/79 (phillips/corkscrew) for saw and OHO, or 55/56 for 2HO.

http://www.wenger.ch/ranger-79-1-077-079-000

Or a nice Wenger Traveler, they come in different scale variations, 50ft-trad has a lice selection of the models if you wanna take a look. (Third picture and description)

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,46323.msg754857.html#msg754857

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 04:49:07 PM
I agree with Nikola, and since you already have a Swisschamp, it's might be a good idea to get a Wenger equivalent, such as the S54.  There are some tool that is Wenger unique, and it'd be nice to own one while a Wenger logo still on it.

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 05:36:05 PM
Thank you, everyone, definitely great ideas... Off to research, keep em coming :cheers:
"Hoarder of weirdness,

us Offline sticktodrum

• Kershaws, Zebralights, SAKs, and Leather Men.
Reply #9 on: October 20, 2013, 05:50:00 PM
Try to pick up the Wenger SI or a Vic original Soldier. :) Can't have enough alox!

I'm really happy with the +B Carver, it's such a cool setup. However, if you do want the 91mm, I'll second the Cybertool. I have the 34 and it is such a cool toolset. I use it a lot being in IT and always looking for excuses to use it over regular tools... :D
"If you put Bacardi in my glass again and try to tell me it's rum, I will burn this bar to the ground!"

-A paraphrase of something I read, to which I related strongly.

Offline Foos

Reply #10 on: October 23, 2013, 05:08:54 PM
Maybe you could go for something lighter and more "urban" - basically something that would be a departure from the Huntsman, Farmer and Swisschamp, which are still good urban carries but can handle heavier duties too. Perhaps a Climber, or to echo a previous post, a Compact?

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #11 on: October 23, 2013, 06:14:46 PM
I'd say Climber, too. Or even a Sportsman. Great for office, non-scary factor of 10 and pretty much what you need to have around.

All depends on your usual habitat and needs.

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Offline Foos

Reply #12 on: October 23, 2013, 07:05:12 PM
"Non-scary factor" - very well put!! That's a big factor in many urban/office settings.

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #13 on: October 23, 2013, 07:21:32 PM
The thing with Climber is (and I'm thinking it's a great SAK), that it's a Huntsman without the saw...

As for my needs, well, they're already pretty much covered, so all the rest is mostly "WANT" factor :D
"Hoarder of weirdness,

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #14 on: October 23, 2013, 07:36:22 PM
The thing with Climber is (and I'm thinking it's a great SAK), that it's a Huntsman without the saw...

As for my needs, well, they're already pretty much covered, so all the rest is mostly "WANT" factor :D

Pretty much every SAK you see is just another with/without some tool. I don't imagine a situation at the office where I'm going to need the saw, so the Climber is more than sufficient for me.

Look for some special limited editions, then.

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Offline Foos

Reply #15 on: October 24, 2013, 12:11:48 AM
Better yet, order a mod job from one of the modders here. Since this will be a 'for the heck of it' knife, include some tools that aren't on your others and do a custom color!

us Offline Jailbird

Reply #16 on: October 24, 2013, 01:05:56 AM
How about a Yeoman? I find it to be almost the perfect tool set in an "urban" environment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Offline Foos

Reply #17 on: October 24, 2013, 01:18:35 AM
Good call Jailbird - maybe Yeoman only with small blade (or sheepsfoot blade) in place of large blade to make it the ultimate people-friendly 91mm model.

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #18 on: October 24, 2013, 05:22:39 PM

Pretty much every SAK you see is just another with/without some tool. I don't imagine a situation at the office where I'm going to need the saw, so the Climber is more than sufficient for me.

Look for some special limited editions, then.

You're right, I just think I'd like something a bit more different :) Climber is a great SAK
"Hoarder of weirdness,

00 Offline Fattsgalore

Reply #19 on: October 25, 2013, 03:23:24 PM
Just like many of us your at that point where you have what need where you need it. Now its all about pure  :climber: enjoyment. It's a good place to be.

If you want a cool 91mm their is almost nothing cooler (with saying that I could think of a dozen cooler ones, but I digress) than a SAK with a digital display.  So I recommend the Victorinox Voyager or Traveller.

Do you own any 58mm?
Any thoughts on a Swisstool or Spirit X?

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #20 on: October 25, 2013, 06:00:13 PM
You've got enough 91mm to start with. If I had that collection, this is what I'd get next:

* Swisstool Spirit X (with the Scissors) Nothing like a good pliers to round out a multi-tool.

* Rambler or Manager: Gotta have a small one that's REALLY pocket-friendly

* Victorinox '61-style Soldier or Wenger Standard Issue, while they are still available. This'd be a collector's piece.

* Wenger Evo or EvoGrip s16. Adds locking blade to a smallish SAK. Adds self-locking screwdriver. Adds springless scissors. I think this model is only made in the Patagonia Expedition Race version, in yellow. If you don't feel like you need scissors, you could go with the S14 and save some money

* Victorinox Executive. This is a classic in its own right. A decent tool set for its size. Big enough to hold onto better than the small 58mm ones, but still very pocket-friendly.

* Victorinox One-handed Trekker, non-serrated version. This gets you a bit of one-hand-opening goodness, along with the best locking screwdriver in the business.

* If the Trekker or Rescue Tool is too long for your pocket carry, and you're willing to belt carry, consider a Victorinox Workchamp. The Workchamp has SUCH a useful array of tools, including TWO inline Phillips, a locking blade, and a KILLER file.

I'm sure you'll let us know what you end up with.
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79