Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The 30-Day Rebar Challenge! 32613

Hero Member Posts: 766 Queen's Venturer
The 30-Day Rebar Challenge!
« on: October 22, 2013, 09:29:18 AM »
I have no internet tonight, so I called in a solid from an out-of-city friend of mine to make sure this got posted to make things official:

My Leatherman Rebar, which has received very little use since I left commercial construction in August, is getting the gears for a month. Is this really the spiritual successor to the PST that I've been looking for? Or am I going to have to buy one of JA's now-proven OHTs? Let's find out—violently, if possible!

The pre-challenge rundown and first day of testing airs the evening of October 22nd. I've been looking forward to doing this for a month and a half, so here goes nothing!
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 18,701 Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Re: The 30-Day Rebar Challenge!
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 11:20:00 AM »
Love the pic!

sent from my mobile

Nate

SEND IT!
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 17,517 I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 11:34:06 AM »
I'm looking forward to this. I had a Rebar briefly, and didn't think it was very heavy duty (not that I tend to need that from my pocket tools). I'll be very interested to see how it survives after Jothra has been torturing it for a month  >:D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 9,460
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 11:39:16 AM »
Looking forward to it

Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob
No Life Club Posts: 2,624
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 12:08:01 PM »
 :nothingtoadd:
I really wanted not to like the 'rebar' but I do  :facepalm:
this should be good
No Life Club Posts: 3,334 All Lurkers Please Join :D
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 01:53:12 PM »
 :tu: So excited! :ahhh

Leatherman
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 16,644 Little to the right...
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 02:16:32 PM »
Ah sweet, another challenge thread. :tu: I'm interested in getting a Rebar eventually, so I'll definitely enjoy following this one.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 7,516 Smurf smash!
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 02:33:54 PM »
Oh boy, bring out the :popcorn: :D

So looking forward to this... :tu:

"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:
No Life Club Posts: 4,463 Don't judge a tool by it's brand
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2013, 02:37:38 PM »
I'm looking forward to this. I had a Rebar briefly, and didn't think it was very heavy duty (not that I tend to need that from my pocket tools). I'll be very interested to see how it survives after Jothra has been torturing it for a month  >:D

Well, it's not like the Huntsman is a heavy duty tool, either  :whistle:  And that seemed to work pretty well ;)

A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

I feel more awesome than an awesome possum 8)
Admin Team Point Of No Return Posts: 32,570
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2013, 02:42:42 PM »
looking forward to this one a lot. :tu:

Try not to be the person who blunders around and causes everyone else to get out the way.  Everyone else thinks you're a utter...
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 7,546 Tool Carrying Linux User
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2013, 02:46:24 PM »
 :popcorn:

super excited!

If I can help, let me know 
Turd Bucket No Life Club Posts: 2,633
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2013, 03:04:35 PM »
Can't wait to hear more.
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 17,517 I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2013, 03:18:17 PM »

Well, it's not like the Huntsman is a heavy duty tool, either  :whistle:  And that seemed to work pretty well ;)

Exactly my point  :D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 9,733 You're amongst friends.
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2013, 03:19:22 PM »
IMO, the Rebar is the best MT ever invented. I so look forward to this challenge.  :D :ahhh

SAW
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 6,689 Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2013, 05:06:39 PM »
I'm looking forward to seeing some rebar use and abuse .

Jothra is way harder on tools than I am :pok:

Defend the Hive!!!
No Life Club Posts: 3,757
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2013, 05:16:12 PM »
By the power vested in me through Bishop Timmus Magnus Leatherus, I bestow upon this sacred quest all good favor and blessings of the Oracle Rebarus.  May your blade stay sharp, your cutters intact and your fingers unpinched.  Should damage befall your multitool in this quest, may it be done in a manner so as not to void the warranty, or at least in a manner that Leatherman cannot tell that you have voided the warranty.  These are the words of the Prophet.  Blessings be upon you, and go henceforth in peace.

Artistic representation of the the loving arms of Rebarus descending from the heavenly realm to bestow favor on the self-reliant.

Sr. Member Posts: 390
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2013, 05:40:05 PM »
By the power vested in me through Bishop Timmus Magnus Leatherus, I bestow upon this sacred quest all good favor and blessings of the Oracle Rebarus.  May your blade stay sharp, your cutters intact and your fingers unpinched.  Should damage befall your multitool in this quest, may it be done in a manner so as not to void the warranty, or at least in a manner that Leatherman cannot tell that you have voided the warranty.  These are the words of the Prophet.  Blessings be upon you, and go henceforth in peace.

Artistic representation of the the loving arms of Rebarus descending from the heavenly realm to bestow favor on the self-reliant.
Amen!  :D

Looking forward to this!  :tu:
Jr. Member Posts: 80
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2013, 06:00:34 PM »
Acquired a REBAR a month or so ago love it. Replaced my Kick as EDC.

Leatherman tools: Surge, Kick, Freestyle, Wingman, Style CS, C33LX, REBAR, OHT, Supertool 300, Wave
Victorinox tools: Alox Farmer, Classic SD
Gerber tools: Flik
Admin Team Point Of No Return Posts: 32,570
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2013, 07:31:45 PM »

:D :D

Try not to be the person who blunders around and causes everyone else to get out the way.  Everyone else thinks you're a utter...
Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 23,241 Wooooo!
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2013, 09:18:38 PM »
Awesome, I can't wait :woohoo:  I will be watching this intently as the Rebar is one of my faves :popcorn:

K-Tibbs
Admin Team Zombie Apprentice Posts: 15,010
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2013, 10:04:17 PM »
Rebar has some mighty big shoes to fill...all hail Vicky!

There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!
Full Member Posts: 248
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2013, 10:23:25 PM »
I'm looking forward to this.  My personal opinion is that the Rebar will do well, mine has but I haven't really put it to any kind of heavy usage yet.  I'm curious to see if it stands up to things like prying as well as the Huntsman did.  Of course it's possible with the Rebar extended to put a lot more pressure on the large driver when prying than it is with the Vic. 

But hey, if you break it Leatherman will fix it. :think:
No Life Club Posts: 2,016
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2013, 10:34:53 PM »
wrt prying - with a Leatherman you don't just have the drivers, you have the pliers as well. IME they work as an excellent prying device if you can get them in/under your target.
Full Member Posts: 248
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2013, 01:05:06 AM »
wrt prying - with a Leatherman you don't just have the drivers, you have the pliers as well. IME they work as an excellent prying device if you can get them in/under your target.

Oh yes, prying with pliers, that brings back some fond memories!  That's why my Charge TTI took a vacation back at Leatherman and why I went back to a Wave.  Stupid cap crimper pliers tip broke.  CC pliers tip on a general use MT is a stupid idea IMO. But the Rebar pliers look a lot stronger and I've pried bunches of times with a Wave and never broke it. 
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 01:07:17 AM by 3rdpig »
Sr. Member Posts: 346 Please send coffee
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2013, 01:24:24 AM »
Full Member Posts: 107
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2013, 07:21:26 AM »
Looking forward to this, and becoming more and more inspired to join the 30-day review group!  :cheers:
No Life Club Posts: 2,016
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2013, 02:39:52 PM »
I've put my full weight behind my Wave's Rebar plier on a number of occasions, but I might just be lucky.
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2013, 04:54:20 PM »
I've put my full weight behind my Wave's Rebar plier on a number of occasions, but I might just be lucky.
That's good to hear  :tu:  Mine have held up pretty well too.  :D

SAW
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 7,909 Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2013, 05:03:13 PM »
1) I'm excited to see how this goes.

2) It's hilarious how many responses this thread has, and the challenge hasn't even started.
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2013, 05:15:52 PM »
Me too Lynn, I've got it bookmarked  ;)

SAW

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
January Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: $121.83
PayPal Fees: $7.17