Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

AA sized batteries

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
AA sized batteries
on: November 16, 2013, 02:38:34 PM
I've been meaning to get some get some decent rechargeables for years now and had always intended them to be LSD NiMHs (either Eneloops or the GP ones). I'm just wondering if I'd be better off with 14500 LiIons though. The reason I want rechargeables is to get more output from my headlamp over a longer period than alkaline cells can and without putting so many alkaline cells in to the landfill. It's not a great cost cutting exercise seeing as I get the alkalines from work (given that's where the torch is used...), more making me feel better about not wasting resources whilst giving my light output a bit of a boost.

I'm not after a huge number, they'll all be going in one light that only uses one battery so 2-4 will be plenty.

So yes, I'm after some opinions on 14500 Vs LSD NiMH and if you can suggest any product in particular that would be great so long as I can actually get it in the UK! The GP Recyko batteries seem to be a slightly better bet than Eneloops to me but I have no idea how they compare to 14500s. I want a charger than I can lob the batteries in to and not have to worry about them cooking, charging too quickly etc. Doesn't have to be crazy fast, I'm more interested in the batteries having a decent life.

I might get a set for my mum too, I've just bought a Zebralight H52F to replace my H51 (and I don't think that can take 14500s) and she's going to get a choice between the H51 and H52F for Christmas.

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
  • This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
Re: AA sized batteries
Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 02:49:47 PM
All my AA lights have Eneloops in them. Makes for cheap running and the Eneloops are easy to charge. I have a 4 bay, independant channel charger for them. I just put them in and forget about them.

I also have some lights that can take LiOn. LiOn batteries require a bit more care. I only use protected Japanese cells, with a Pila IBC charger. You also have to be careful if mixing cells in a light.

If my AA lights can also take 14500, I would only use 14500 it it offered a higher light output. For example, my Nitecore SRT3 can take 14500's, and offers double the lumens than on an Eneloop.

You are correct in that your old H51 cannot take 14500. Your new H52 can, but there does not seem to be any advantage.

http://www.zebralight.com/H52F-AA-Floody-Headlamp-Cool-White_p_132.html
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 02:54:05 PM by Millhouse »
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 02:53:08 PM
L-ion batteries have a shorter run time compared to the LSD ones, for instance an AW 14500 battery is rated at 750 mAh and an eneloop AA is 2000 mAh. Also they run at a higher voltage (4.2 volts max fresh of the charger and a nominal voltage of 3.6V) compared to the 1,2 of the eneloops (I know it's a 1,5 battery but the eneloops are a bit lower than that). You could use it only in the ZL 52, the 51 doesn't support them and very few AA flashlights do. And no other devices support them so you can't reuse them as you'd fry anything else with them. (Radio, GPS, ....)

I've been thinking of getting a few for my 47s AA tactical but I'd carry eneloops as backup anyways.

Also, don't limit yourself to what's available from the UK. You can get very good protected AW batteries from lumens factory shipped to the UK in about a week. I've had very good delivery times from them and I know a few other members here had too.

http://www.lumensfactory....id=10&sid=&page=1

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 02:57:36 PM
 :tu: to Eneloops. My oldest cells are about 5 years old, still going strong.

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 03:00:03 PM
So, I'm better off with LSDs rather than 14500s basically? There's no point in paying a huge price premium for negligible performance gain and massive increase in explosion liability.

I have a Fenix LD10 that gets less use, and that gets a bit funny with the higher voltages IIRC so another point to the LSDs.

So, I think that's batteries sorted. What about a decent, idiot proof charger that isn't too expensive?

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #5 on: November 16, 2013, 03:01:14 PM
Bear in mind that 14500 batteries are not the same voltage as AA batteries, despite the same size.

So make sure your torch can take them (4.2V instead of 1.5V). If it can not then you will damage your torch.

The nitecore Intellicharger i4 charger http://www.nitecore.com/productDetail.aspx?id=18  is quite popular, fast, versatile  and cheap; around $20 nowadays.

Have a look in the charger/battery thread for more information.

The mAh are relevant but bear in mind that the voltage driving that current is different, so with regulation a 4.2 battery will last longer than it is suggested by just its mAh rating (check BF for more details)

Edit: P=VI, so the same power (Watts) can be achieved using a lower current with an increased PD.
e.g. 1.5V x 1A = 3Vx0.5A
(if it is confusing then do not worry about it)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 03:05:24 PM by dks »
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: November 16, 2013, 03:04:23 PM
+1 on the nitecore i4, have one myself.

Also, I think dks ment blf (budget light forums) instead of bf (blade forums) ;)

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #7 on: November 16, 2013, 03:06:31 PM
+1 on the nitecore i4, have one myself.

Also, I think dks ment blf (budget light forums) instead of bf (blade forums) ;)

:facepalm:

Yes, Budgetlighforums is where the pros reside (Candlepower forums is also nice, but more high-spec oriented)

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: November 16, 2013, 03:09:14 PM
Nitecore charger available from here if you wish to order in the UK.

http://www.ledfiretorches.co.uk/sysmax-intellicharge-i4-quad-bay-charger-v2.html

As this charger can do LiOn cells as well, it gives you some flexibility if you ever get lights that use or do benefit from LiOn cells.

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: November 16, 2013, 03:11:33 PM
That charger looks good, thank you.

dks: I'm aware of the difference between power, energy, voltage and current but thanks for the heads up.

a 2000mAh 1.2V cell and a 700mAh 3.7V cell have pretty similar energy capacity.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: November 16, 2013, 03:49:20 PM
I finally jumped on board with the eneloops. for those with a Costco they have 8aa and 2aaa plus a charger for $20. 
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: November 16, 2013, 06:39:13 PM
 :tu:

Typically I'd spend more in getting to any shop selling non 100% mainstream things at a sensible price than I would on any products, so it's almost always cheaper to just get things delivered. Case in point, my nearest Costco is 85 miles away :)

Anyway, thanks for the advice and store recommendation, I have a charger and batteries on the way. If everything's as good as I hope I'll get mum a set too.

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: November 20, 2013, 06:41:11 PM
First impressions are that your advice was spot on. The batteries seem great and the charger is simple to use and it clearly shows what it's doing.

As a test I left my H51 on full, and it stayed on high high power for a long, long time before fairly rapidly dropping out of high entirely and to low-medium. Running it on alkalines it couldn't stay in high high for more than a few minutes and would drop to low high for a bit, then it would drop to high medium for a bit, then low-medium and I'd change the battery. So, torch is better and I don't need to worry about leaving it on one of the high power settings and munching through batteries  :tu:

Does get a bit warm though :D

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: November 20, 2013, 08:11:37 PM
Glad you like it. :cheers:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #14 on: November 20, 2013, 08:14:19 PM
another satisfied customer   :D

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: November 20, 2013, 08:22:21 PM

Does get a bit warm though :D

You now have light and a head warmer.

As well as cheap running, the Eneloops give you longer run time, and are also good in cold weather. Sanyo claim they can operate as low as -20c.

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: November 21, 2013, 01:22:48 AM
I'm not sure I can though!

Offline hammerheel68

Reply #17 on: December 04, 2013, 04:55:55 AM
Many AA lights just can't handle the heat generated by 14500's'  I ordered a light recently that advertised that it could take AA OR 14500, but when it came in, it absolutely would not work with Any AA.  Since I had recently purchased the Fantastic Intellicharger I4 Version2 charger(which will charge just about Anything), I went ahead and ordered a couple of 14500s just for that light, but I normally run Sanyo Eneloops in my AA flashlights, and I have never had a problem.

fi Offline AlephZero

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf smash!
Reply #18 on: December 04, 2013, 07:54:39 PM
Many AA lights just can't handle the heat generated by 14500's'  I ordered a light recently that advertised that it could take AA OR 14500, but when it came in, it absolutely would not work with Any AA.  Since I had recently purchased the Fantastic Intellicharger I4 Version2 charger(which will charge just about Anything), I went ahead and ordered a couple of 14500s just for that light, but I normally run Sanyo Eneloops in my AA flashlights, and I have never had a problem.

+1 for the Intellicharger i4, not only it recharges just about anything, it also seems to do quite a bit better job at recharging my 16850's than my old Lumilight charger... I had recharged one 18650 with the old one only couple days prior getting the i4 and as I put it in the i4, it kept on charging for at least couple hours more :shrug:
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: December 05, 2013, 12:49:46 AM
The only thing I can knock with the charger is the springy clamps. You have to open them by hand and then drop the battery in because they're too sticky.

The only thing I can knock with the batteries, and this is both a pro and a con and is I think what I wanted, is that when they run out they go very quickly. Yesterday i went out in the dark with my torch working quite happily on all brightness levels. Within 5 minutes it would only manage slightly more than low.
I think I'm going to have to just change the battery every few days so I don't get caught out.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #20 on: December 05, 2013, 11:15:12 AM
The only thing I can knock with the batteries, and this is both a pro and a con and is I think what I wanted, is that when they run out they go very quickly. Yesterday i went out in the dark with my torch working quite happily on all brightness levels. Within 5 minutes it would only manage slightly more than low.
I think I'm going to have to just change the battery every few days so I don't get caught out.
That is typical of good NiMh rechargebale batteries.  They maintain their 1.2V for nearly all their charge, then voltage drops off quickly at the end.  It also means it is difficult to accurately measure how much charge remains in a partially used NiMh battery (although Zebralight do offer that function on some of their AA lights).

Many people have two sets of batteries and swap in the fresh set before use so they know they have a full charge ready to go.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: December 15, 2013, 12:49:07 AM
+1 to Eneloops.

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: December 15, 2013, 06:18:55 PM
I've just bought another charger and batteries for my mum  :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds