Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Sources for DAK?

us Offline wonderwolf

Sources for DAK?
on: November 18, 2013, 07:30:05 AM
I'm new here, Long time SAK fan....been carrying  a Trekker on a custom kydex belt sheath for 2 years now after I figured out I did not like the "tactical" single blade spyderco type knives I had been carrying since I can remember.  Ever since then I've been getting more and more into the SAKs and started a casual collection, I have the GAK, a non OHO 111mm "hunter", and my OHO trekker....Looking for a DAK now just to kind of have, any resources?  Also just discovered the "Master road" or whatever its called Trekker with the file, is the file the same quality as whats in the Swisstool?

also loving the smiley faces here  :climber:
"A good plan today is better than a perfect plan tomorrow" - The Edge

00 Offline Fattsgalore

Re: Sources for DAK?
Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 08:39:06 AM
Can't help you with anything you just asked and yeah...the smiley faces are awesome. :facepalm:
Fricken Picard Man!!!...Jean-Luc!

Anyway, what made me comment is what you mentioned about your progression from "Tactical knives" to SAKs. I had a similar evolution into becoming a SAK guy. Now methodology is a SAK will do it and if not I go to a utility knife.
SAK for everyday task, a utility knife for hard work/abuse.   
Why a SAK over any other folder?
Cause a knife is just a knife. My SAK is a: Can opener, bottle opener, multiple screw drivers, scissors, pen, watch (mine is) and more!!! And they can be so much more.

It's more tool for the same space in my pocket. Why carry less tool?

Also, welcome to the club. You are among friends! :tu:

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 09:01:35 AM
Good morning!

As far as I know, there are 2 types, the older being a non OHO 2 layer 111mm and the second being a 2 blade OHO 111mm vic.
The first has been in service for quite some time, and used ones show up on ebay.de now and then, usually priced higher than "normal" variants while being in a worse condition.
The last ones I found ended between 25 - 45 €, I´m still waiting for one in a decent condition at a fair pricepoint.
The newer variant shows up far less.

And, as mentioned above: Welcome!

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 02:08:43 PM
Like Lowtech said, there are two 'versions' of the DAK, the 1993 one, which is basically a Vic Centurion, and the one used from 2010, which is basically a Vic Dual Pro, with a Phillips screwdriver instead of a corkscrew.

I'm not too sure about sources, can't find one quickly right now... If I find anything, I'll let you know  :salute:
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

us Offline wonderwolf

Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 05:11:35 PM
Thanks guys, I should mention that my progression was in part because I moved to the city from a very rural area for college. I had worked on a farm and carried a swisstool every day at work as well as a single blade folder, but that was only at work.

I'll keep looking around for a DAK OHO, I'm also looking at doing a custom built trekker but not sure what all I want in it yet. I'm a hobby machinist so building a custom knife and making jigs to help with it sound fun to me.

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 05:16:13 PM
For modding the 111mm SAK's, also try to follow this thread: http://forum.multitool.org/the-mod-squad/my-turn-for-111mm-fun/

A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

us Offline wonderwolf

Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 06:19:39 AM
For modding the 111mm SAK's, also try to follow this thread: http://forum.multitool.org/the-mod-squad/my-turn-for-111mm-fun/

Niiice, looks like that will get me into trouble in short order. I did not know about the retired "locksmith" variant 111mm knife, looks like if they offered that in OHO I would get 5 of them to throw in my kits, truck etc etc.

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 07:09:46 AM
I have bought and sold dozens of them (mostly the 2010 DAK) but they seem to be hard to find these days. I will look around for you.
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

us Offline wonderwolf

Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 08:54:28 PM
I have bought and sold dozens of them (mostly the 2010 DAK) but they seem to be hard to find these days. I will look around for you.
Thanks

england Offline Guardian

• Unless
Reply #9 on: November 19, 2013, 09:48:15 PM
Reinier is the 'go to' guy for everything DAK. He supplied me with both an old Centurion and new 2010 Dual Pro.EXCELLENT service from a GREAT guy  :D
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 09:54:02 PM by Guardian »
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

us Offline wonderwolf

Reply #10 on: November 21, 2013, 07:02:14 PM
I dunno if this means anything but I'll be headed to Europe in a few weeks for a loooong vacation, Headed to Berlin and Vienna.....are there knife shops over there like we have in the states? I'm wondering about doing some SAK hunting while I'm over there....see if I can't find something interesting.

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: November 21, 2013, 09:10:46 PM
There are army-surplus stores, pawn-shops and mall-ninjy outfitters and serious knife shops - SAKs are often found in cutlery shops or kitchen hardware stores (WMF)
I dunno about Berlin, but we have a ratehr new Victorinox Shop in Cologne.

Have fun in Europe - And should you hit Cologne, gimme a holler, maybe I can buy you a beer.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%