Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Suggestions for Pocket Clip MT?

us Offline n4vgm

Suggestions for Pocket Clip MT?
on: November 26, 2013, 02:42:15 AM
My MT collection is expanding (I know! That's the point!) so now I have been experimenting with suspension pocket carry using simple paracord lanyards and small clips. That way get an idea how long these average one should be and whether I want to go with a dangler, belt loop clip or - pocket clip. Then I seem to remember seeing here at one point or another a OPMT with a slot to work as a pocet clip for suspending another tool.

I searched the forums but either I was using the wrong words or something but I did not come up with many OPMT that also are a pocket clip. I saw one reference but it seemed to be a kickstarter project.

Anyway, now seeking to access the "Collective MTO Consciousness" for the following tasks.

Lite duty prying
Strap/package cutting (hook)
3.5 inches max length
1 inch width

As you can see I don't need much since whatever MT I will be carrying should cover other tasks (think Squirt PS4 or Vic Sportsman). I'm really thinking that it would just be nice to have something other than a plain clip since it will be taking up space and weight anyway.

Any ideas? (Thanks in advance!)   :tu:

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Re: Suggestions for Pocket Clip MT?
Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 03:27:26 AM
Then I seem to remember seeing here at one point or another a OPMT with a slot to work as a pocet clip for suspending another tool.

I searched the forums but either I was using the wrong words or something but I did not come up with many OPMT that also are a pocket clip. I saw one reference but it seemed to be a kickstarter project.

I believe you're thinking of the Pickpocket (and it did begin life as a kickstarter project).  See http://www.pangea-designs.com/

us Offline n4vgm

Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 03:02:36 PM
Thanks Nate! That looks like the tool I was thinking of, however . . .

What is in my mind  :think: is slightly different. Maybe I'll have to find a diagraming program to visualize it.

I would like it to have a wide pry/scraper tip on the top (maybe slotted) end then a small package cutter recessed into where most tools like this have the bottle opener but the other direction. Then it would narrow down to a smaller bottom end for the ring attachment.

UPDATE -  I stumbled on theclip.com which lets you purchase "samples" even though they are mainly wholesale. I picked out a couple simple steel spring clips to try for about $11 (inc. shipping).

That should keep me happy while I search for a OPMT.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 04:35:15 PM by n4vgm »

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 07:42:20 PM
You mean like this but with a built in dangler?

That's the CRKT KERT, formerly known as/developed from the Raker Ring Tool, image nicked from CRKT without permission, but I hope they won't mind the advertising.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 07:45:05 PM by Cupboard »

us Offline n4vgm

Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 10:10:40 PM
That's close in that it has the cutter but if I used that as a suspension clip it would cut open my pocket!   :o

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 05:34:44 AM
I've never seen anything quite like you describe.  My suspicion is that you will have to choose one or more of the following options:
  • make a custom tool (or have one made for you)
  • carry more than one tool
  • accept a compromise tool that leaves out at least one of your desired features

us Offline n4vgm

Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 05:01:49 PM
Yes, I had come to those conclusions even before my OP (but took a chance anyway). I may investigate the whole Shapeways thing if for no other reason than to learn something.

One of the problems is that working at a library give you access to all sorts of office supplies and tools laying around and since it's the gov'ment there is a set at every desk!

well, except for the small pliers of the Squirt!

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 07:45:24 PM
I don't think you'll get a decent strap cutting hook out of printed steel. I'd loved to be proved wrong though!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%