Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Ultimate Swisschamp vs. CyberTool 41 thread

williu · 99 · 14958

Poll

SwissChamp vs CyberTool 41 – which one is your favorite?

SwissChamp
57 (56.4%)
CyberTool 41
44 (43.6%)

Total Members Voted: 100

se Offline williu

Ultimate Swisschamp vs. CyberTool 41 thread
on: December 14, 2013, 07:23:51 PM
Okay folks, so I did some searching and I couldn't find a thread that pitted the greatest SAKs available head to head against each other – The SwissChamp and the CyberTool 41. So here we go.

Which one is the greatest? I think we should be able to, through reasoning and debate, come to some kind of conclusion. Here's to hoping for a good thread! :tu:

So first of all, let's do the stats:

SwissChamp
It came out in 1985 and has since then been considered as a flagship SAK for Victorinox. It has 33 functions and 8 tool layers and weighs 185 grams.

Functions:

large blade
mini-screwdriver
small blade
corkscrew
can opener with
-small screwdriver
cap lifter with
-screwdriver
-wire stripper
reamer, punch
key ring
tweezers
toothpick
scissors
multi-purpose hook (parcel carrier)
wood saw
fish scaler with
-hook disgorger
-ruler (cm + inches)
nailfile with
-metal file
-nail cleaner
-metal saw
screwdriver 2.5mm
chisel
pliers with
-wire crimping tool
-wire cutters
Phillips screwdriver
magnifying lens
pressurized ballpoint pen
pin stainless
sewing eye

CyberTool 41
Came out in the new millenium and introduces a sturdy bit driver with changeable bits. It's got 7 tool layers  (but is as thick as the SwissChamp) and weighs just above the SwissChamp at 188 grams. While it has 41 functions, 11 of these are included in the bit driver as different bits, etc.

Functions:

large blade
small blade
can opener with
-small screwdriver
corkscrew
reamer, punch
wood saw
screwdriver 2.5mm
chisel
key ring
toothpick
tweezers
mini-screwdriver
pin stainless
multi-purpose hook (parcel carrier)
pliers with
-wire crimping tool
-wire cutters
bit case
cap lifter with
-screwdriver
-wire stripper
scissors
bitwrench with
-bit Hex 5 mm female for D-SUB connectors
-4 mm female Hex drive for the bits
-bit Philips 0
-bit Philips 1
-bit slotted 4 mm
-bit Philips 2
-bit Hex 4 mm
-bit Torx 8
-bit Torx 10
-bit Torx 15
ballpoint pen with
-also to set DIP-Switch
reamer with sewing eye
metal saw with
-metal file
-nailfile
-nail cleaner

---------------

So what's everyone's opinion on these two fine and mighty Swiss army knives?

To me, it's a really tight race. Both fit my pocket nicely as an EDC. Definitely feels like the SwissChamp has more "soul" and is a worthy flagship. The major difference between the two is that the SC has a fish scaler (with the ruler) and the magnifying glass. I never go fishing, but the ruler and mag glass are good to have of course. But the CT41 has the advantage with the bit driver. It has got a long reach, and feels very sturdy. I've used it to screw and unscrew some really strong screws. To be honest I've never worked with opening up computers and stuff but the bit driver has so many good features :climber:

To me, it's a tough choice. But I'm leaning towards the CyberTool 41 as the ultimate SAK. Feels like I'm changing my mind daily though :whistle:

What do you guys think?
bild 1.JPG
* bild 1.JPG (Filesize: 175.91 KB)
bild 2.JPG
* bild 2.JPG (Filesize: 256.64 KB)
bild 3.JPG
* bild 3.JPG (Filesize: 274.75 KB)
bild 5.JPG
* bild 5.JPG (Filesize: 275.72 KB)

us Offline detron

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tool Carrying Linux User
Re: Ultimate Swisschamp vs. CyberTool 41 thread
Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 07:31:06 PM
I love my CT41, and would buy more if they were not SOOO expensive.  I bought mine in 2006 new from Amazon for $61!   wish I had had the forsight to buy 10 of them.

I also love my Swisschamp!  I use the Mag glass for tons of things at work (straightening tiny pins and similar tasks)  and it is more affordable.  I even use the fish scaler as an improvised wire manipulation tool.

it was VERY close decision for me.

to me I need a Swisschamp with a cybertool layer in the center, and drop the can opener, cap lifter and small blade and use the combo tool beside the large blade! 
If I can help, let me know 

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 07:39:32 PM
I love my CT41, and would buy more if they were not SOOO expensive.  I bought mine in 2006 new from Amazon for $61!   wish I had had the forsight to buy 10 of them.

I also love my Swisschamp!  I use the Mag glass for tons of things at work (straightening tiny pins and similar tasks)  and it is more affordable.  I even use the fish scaler as an improvised wire manipulation tool.

it was VERY close decision for me.

to me I need a Swisschamp with a cybertool layer in the center, and drop the can opener, cap lifter and small blade and use the combo tool beside the large blade!

I agree!  I would like a Cyber Champ!  That would be great!  :tu:

I have to lean towards the Swisschamp just because it has the mag and I use it quite often so not sure if my "ultimate" one would work for me without it! :)

I do like the CT's but currently dont have one!  Any one wanna trade a New Swisschamp for a CT34 or nice CT41? LOL

00 Offline Fattsgalore

Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 07:43:44 PM
I'd go with a CT41, why? I'd actually use every single tool on it.
Plus a lot of times the Victorinox openers/drivers just don't have the reach. CT bit driver doesn't have that problem...

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 08:07:36 PM
Another vote for the CT41. :tu:

Also wishing the driver was in the middle layer. :salute:

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 08:14:29 PM
My vote goes to the Swisschamp, the main reason being I've gad a CT34 for years and the bits do not stay in the cheap arsed plastic holder.

Also the Swisschamp is cheaper
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

se Offline williu

Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 08:18:13 PM
My vote goes to the Swisschamp, the main reason being I've gad a CT34 for years and the bits do not stay in the cheap arsed plastic holder.

I've heard many people say this, but I have a hard time understanding it... do you mean they fall out when the driver is open? (i.e. when using it?) Because when it's closed, it's closed. And when I use the driver, I have the bit holder closed, and there really isn't much room for them to stay or not stay in. They just sit where they are supposed to sit. Would be interesting to hear more about your experience :cheers:

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 08:25:26 PM

I've heard many people say this, but I have a hard time understanding it... do you mean they fall out when the driver is open? (i.e. when using it?) Because when it's closed, it's closed. And when I use the driver, I have the bit holder closed, and there really isn't much room for them to stay or not stay in. They just sit where they are supposed to sit. Would be interesting to hear more about your experience :cheers:

When the driver is out the bits will just fall out (two out of the three anyway). I'm going to drop mine back for warranty repair.

I think it was a bad (and cost motivated) design choice, metal in contact with plastic, plastic will always loose
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Reply #8 on: December 14, 2013, 08:28:25 PM
I used to have the sapphire ct41 but sadly I lost it.

us Offline GigaHz

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: December 14, 2013, 08:29:36 PM
A half breed.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: December 14, 2013, 08:30:14 PM

When the driver is out the bits will just fall out (two out of the three anyway). I'm going to drop mine back for warranty repair.

I think it was a bad (and cost motivated) design choice, metal in contact with plastic, plastic will always loose
I think there are two generation of design for the bit-holder and the older really had the mentioned problem, the newer though is vastly improved.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline GigaHz

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: December 14, 2013, 08:32:22 PM
If the ball of the bit is facing the out side of the knife, I have no problems with the bits staying in. If you put the bit in any other way, they fall out easily.

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
  • All Lurkers Please Join :D
Reply #12 on: December 14, 2013, 08:36:26 PM
I do not need the bits on the CT41, so I voted for the Champ.

Even though I don't have the Swisschamp, I do have most of the components of it on different SAKs.

Leatherman

se Offline williu

Reply #13 on: December 14, 2013, 08:46:56 PM
I think there are two generation of design for the bit-holder and the older really had the mentioned problem, the newer though is vastly improved.

That explains it :tu: I've never had that problem.

us Offline detron

Reply #14 on: December 14, 2013, 08:59:55 PM
A half breed.

that I like!  might need a quote for one of those!

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #15 on: December 14, 2013, 09:09:08 PM
A half breed.

Now you've got me looking at one of my Swiss Champs and my user CT34 with evil intent...

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #16 on: December 14, 2013, 09:17:58 PM
This is a hard choice. My take on it is,,, around the house or in the city I carry the 41, but the outdoor stuff goes to the champ. Two total winners here.

Swiss Army knives .

CHEERS

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Reply #17 on: December 14, 2013, 09:22:22 PM

A half breed.

Such a pretty half breed!

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: December 14, 2013, 09:35:55 PM
I haven't been able to decide yet... but maybe the CT41... I like good drivers, and the standard SAK just does not do it for me, they are squarly in the utility/emergency use range.  Part of the problem is the metal is too soft for good drivers.

The CT41 solves this issue with the bit-driver and has the potential for even more improvement since the bits are replaceable.  The design of the CT41 bit driver is also excellent allowing for long reach, and a narrow shaft.  It's a really a good design dispite having to use hard to find bits.  Sometimes though a bigger driver is useful... not necessarily for screws.

The SwissChamp has the mag glass which is a tool I really like to have if I can.

I like GigaHz's Half/Half ... but at this point in my SAK life I'd be ready to drop the opener's layer entirely on this large knife.... so I say the Half/Half without any openers and maybe some layer reordering would be something really like.  Or maybe a little creative spacer and pair the Mag Glass with the Cap-lifter.  Have to find a way to keep the reamer if the Opener layer is removed.

Hmmm I will think about my vote a bit more... different situations require different tools... but...

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: December 14, 2013, 09:48:55 PM
I don't know why, but the CT just doesn't interest me all that much.  Perhaps it's because I don't really think of SAKs as a collection of screwdrivers.  I know they are there obviously, it's just not what I tend to use my SAKs for.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: December 15, 2013, 01:50:09 AM
The advantage of keeping the opener layer in one of your hybrids is that you keep a prying tool.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #21 on: December 15, 2013, 01:53:49 AM
I had a Cybertool Lite for a little, and for whatever reason I just wasn't thrilled with it.  :shrug:  Several weeks ago I got a Swisschamp and I can't keep the damn thing out of my pocket!  :tu:
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 02:10:15 AM by jerseydevil »
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #22 on: December 15, 2013, 02:09:15 AM
I'd go for the Swisschamp as I'm just so familiar with it, plus I really do appreciate the Phillips on it :)

I think one of the biggest appeals to me with the Swisschamp is its versatility, I've tackled all sorts of tasks with it over the years, and i just find cybertools just too focused really :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: December 15, 2013, 02:13:17 AM
I'd go for the Swisschamp as I'm just so familiar with it, plus I really do appreciate the Phillips on it :)

I think one of the biggest appeals to me with the Swisschamp is its versatility, I've tackled all sorts of tasks with it over the years, and i just find cybertools just too focused really :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

+1 I was going to add about the Phillips, but got logged off before I could modify my last post.  Honestly even the backside Phillips on a Tinker has never failed me, and the inline one on the Swisschamp is great.  When I'm at work or at home, I really don't need specialized bits and such.  If I'm using a multitool or SAK on a computer, it's to destroy the smurfing thing.  ;)
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #24 on: December 15, 2013, 02:14:52 AM

I had a Cybertool Lite for a little, and for whatever reason I just wasn't thrilled with it.  :shrug:  Several weeks ago I got a Swisschamp and I can't keep the damn thing out of my pocket!  :tu:
I really should start carrying my Cybertool Lite. I think the main reason I don't is I don't have the bits for mine.

I think it is a great tool with a great tool load out.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

us Offline Grail Knight

• Who Dares Wins!
Reply #25 on: December 15, 2013, 02:41:06 AM
I voted for the SwissChamp.
I have two of them.

One I carry everyday and one for in the house.

I use my SwissChamp everyday as well for one thing of another.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #26 on: December 15, 2013, 03:36:53 AM
CT41 for me.  I just don't use the fish scaler and although I love the idea of the magnifying glass, I use the bit driver far more often.

Let's have a truce:

SwissChamp XLT  :D

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: December 15, 2013, 04:39:02 AM
I've used the fish scaler as a fork to steal french fries, corn dog nuggets, and mozzarella sticks from people at work a number of times now.  Don't want to lose that capability......  :)

us Offline detron

Reply #28 on: December 15, 2013, 04:46:53 AM
I've used the fish scaler as a fork to steal french fries, corn dog nuggets, and mozzarella sticks from people at work a number of times now.  Don't want to lose that capability......  :)

it is also a great rubber band launcher.  hook the band in the end, pull band back (on smooth top) aim and release

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: December 15, 2013, 04:55:20 AM

it is also a great rubber band launcher.  hook the band in the end, pull band back (on smooth top) aim and release

Nice!  Gonna have to give that a try Monday!  >:D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%