Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

mod advice needed

splico · 21 · 2953

hr Offline splico

• Explorer
mod advice needed
on: December 27, 2013, 05:40:36 PM
I wish to have this configuration
91mm
small blade, large blade
large serrated blade (from spartan serrated)
scissors
cap o., can o.
plus scales ofc  :salute:

Is it possible to make that from huntsman and serrated spartan? Thanks.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Re: mod advice needed
Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 05:53:15 PM
So essentially you want to have 2 blade layers.  The only issue is the backtool on a blade layer is usually the corkscrew which is wider than the layer itself.  If you stuck an awl in there on the inside layer instead of a second corkscrew I dont see why it wouldnt work.  The nail nick from the inner blade layer will block the nail nick of the outside layer as well, but there might be enough room between the layers to get a nail in there.

PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 06:02:26 PM
So essentially you want to have 2 blade layers.  The only issue is the backtool on a blade layer is usually the corkscrew which is wider than the layer itself.  If you stuck an awl in there on the inside layer instead of a second corkscrew I dont see why it wouldnt work. The nail nick from the inner blade layer will block the nail nick of the outside layer as well, but there might be enough room between the layers to get a nail in there.

Maybe you could reverse the inner blade, so it's like the scissors on most SAK's? Or doesn't it work so easily?
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

hr Offline splico

• Explorer
Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 06:02:41 PM
So essentially you want to have 2 blade layers.  The only issue is the backtool on a blade layer is usually the corkscrew which is wider than the layer itself.  If you stuck an awl in there on the inside layer instead of a second corkscrew I dont see why it wouldnt work.  The nail nick from the inner blade layer will block the nail nick of the outside layer as well, but there might be enough room between the layers to get a nail in there.

I think about remove saw from huntsman and place there serrated large blade. Opening in same way like it was before with saw. Hm my english :facepalm:

hr Offline splico

• Explorer
Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 06:04:26 PM
So essentially you want to have 2 blade layers.  The only issue is the backtool on a blade layer is usually the corkscrew which is wider than the layer itself.  If you stuck an awl in there on the inside layer instead of a second corkscrew I dont see why it wouldnt work. The nail nick from the inner blade layer will block the nail nick of the outside layer as well, but there might be enough room between the layers to get a nail in there.

Maybe you could reverse the inner blade, so it's like the scissors on most SAK's? Or doesn't it work so easily?

Yes this is my dream picnic SAK  :D

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #5 on: December 27, 2013, 06:04:36 PM

Nope that works on the 93 since they are symmetrical, but the 91mm wont work that way due to the backlayer tools, the knife only fits one way.  Pretty much on 91mm mods you are limited to rearranging layers, not creating new ones from existing tools, the springs are too highly specific.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

hr Offline splico

• Explorer
Reply #6 on: December 27, 2013, 06:07:20 PM

Nope that works on the 93 since they are symmetrical, but the 91mm wont work that way due to the backlayer tools, the knife only fits one way.  Pretty much on 91mm mods you are limited to rearranging layers, not creating new ones from existing tools, the springs are too highly specific.

I can live without one back tool in that layer? What back tool is there?

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #7 on: December 27, 2013, 06:11:29 PM
The only one that would fit I think is the awl.  Its too thin I use a little washer, but it would be ok without it if you didnt feel like making a tiny one.  There are the chisel and fine driver from the swiss champs but those are even thinner and for sure need a washer.  The only one I used before though was an awl in place of corkscrew.  It means you have 2 awls, but thats the easiest option.  And 2 small blades too.

The only config I can think of that didnt double up tools would be to add in a combo tools.

1.  combo tool / main blade / corkscrew back tool
2.  small blade / serrated main / awl back tool
3.  scissors layer

Might be better to have the scissors in the middle too... dunno.

hr Offline splico

• Explorer
Reply #8 on: December 27, 2013, 06:14:25 PM
OMG idea: grind wood saw to form of the serrated blade  :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

hr Offline splico

• Explorer
Reply #9 on: December 27, 2013, 06:18:01 PM
The only one that would fit I think is the awl.  Its too thin I use a little washer, but it would be ok without it if you didnt feel like making a tiny one.  There are the chisel and fine driver from the swiss champs but those are even thinner and for sure need a washer.  The only one I used before though was an awl in place of corkscrew.  It means you have 2 awls, but thats the easiest option.  And 2 small blades too.

The only config I can think of that didnt double up tools would be to add in a combo tools.

1.  combo tool / main blade / corkscrew back tool
2.  small blade / serrated main / awl back tool
3.  scissors layer

Might be better to have the scissors in the middle too... dunno.

This config is much better. corkscrew is must have for one dream picnicker SAK.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #10 on: December 27, 2013, 09:17:41 PM
Or you could try finding a Wenger Double Blade. :whistle:

http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Wenger+Double+Blade

>:D

I like the mod idea by Syph007. :cheers:

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #11 on: December 27, 2013, 09:47:27 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

I've got a Double Blade, cool knife. It inspired me to build a "Double Recruit Plus"
Serrated Recruit with modified 91mm scissors and Sportsman blade layer added. This gives me the nail-file rather than a 2nd small blade.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 10:16:13 PM by PTRSAK »

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #12 on: December 27, 2013, 10:17:44 PM
Ah that looks great Peter.  As I thought putting something in between the 2 blade layers seems to be the best idea.  :tu:

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #13 on: December 27, 2013, 10:27:33 PM
Yes, having the scissors there means you can get at all four nail nicks on the blade layers easily.

I did try the blade layers side by side but it was just too crowded.
There is a little bit of filework/jimping on the spine of the serrated blade to help with identification.

hr Offline splico

• Explorer
Reply #14 on: December 28, 2013, 09:57:07 AM

(Image removed from quote.)

>:D

I like the mod idea by Syph007. :cheers:

>:D wenger is not allowed  :D

us Offline GigaHz

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: January 09, 2014, 03:42:23 PM

de Offline crackout

Reply #16 on: January 09, 2014, 04:35:25 PM
Mh...can you flip the tools on a 91mm blade spring that easily?
Or did you mod the spring in some way?
Say my name.

us Offline GigaHz

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: January 09, 2014, 04:41:52 PM
The spring wasn't modded. I can't remember what spring I used though. Plus I had to shim the backside awl with a washer to get to the correct thickness.

us Offline GigaHz

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: January 09, 2014, 04:46:44 PM
Awl is a little bit of a bitch to get out too.

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
  • Look at all those shiny sharp things.
Reply #19 on: January 09, 2014, 05:45:37 PM
Samek did something nice. Roll down the page. http://forum.multitool.org/the-mod-squad/brass-spartan/
Or could you fit solo knife layer or backspring there? Maybe a nailfile instead of small blade?

hr Offline splico

• Explorer
Reply #20 on: January 10, 2014, 05:47:20 PM

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $56.34
PayPal Fees: $2.74