Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Question about the Juice

Rodion · 10 · 2653

Offline Rodion

• When shumer hits the fan, bolo for me, mam.
Question about the Juice
on: May 23, 2008, 03:01:59 PM
Hi. I got my Juice S2 yesterday and am liking it a lot. It's everything I want in my EDC multi. However, the spring is so tight, that for legal purposes, the blade on my Juice can be considered a "locking" one... Now, I don't intend to carry it in my pocket, or anywhere where I might be scrutinized (that's what Swiss Tech is for), but it is a concern. Does anybody know how to disable the blade spring on the Juice models without killing the whole tool?
W

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Question about the Juice
Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 08:13:49 PM
Just break it in.. Open and close it A LOT and it should loosen up.. Watch a movie or something while your doing it also!
B

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 03:14:03 AM
Is the spring itself too tight, or is it the detent when you have it all the way open that is too tight?

If it's the all-the-way-open detent, I'm thinking you could use an abrasive stone to put a slight radius on the edge of the notch.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline ultimaonliner

Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 08:45:37 AM
I've never done this, but if you keep the blade in the half open position, it will place the spring in the bent position and will weaken it over time.

"

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 11:11:44 AM
Recalling my early physics education springs do not weaken when held in a static position, nor do they loose their force over time or through wear. Springs do weaken when pushed past their yield limit, causing deformation. The most familiar and debated instance of this is the springs in the magazines of firearms. For several years conventional wisdom held true that loaded magazines would fail more readily and have a significantly shorter service life that magazines left unloaded for storage. It took a while for enough evidence and testing to debunk this myth to accrue but slowly the tide has changed and most users have begun to realize that a spring does not wear unless it is in use for long periods of time and material is being removed from the interacting parts. Mere compression does nothing.

The way to break in springs in this capacity is actually to remove material from the blade tang or the spring face through use. This amount of material is minute in the overall measure but is enough to effect the function and feel of the spring, creating a sense of being broken in.

That said, remove any lubrication, open and close it a lot for a few days and then reevaluate.

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 11:16:46 AM
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

Offline Rodion

• When shumer hits the fan, bolo for me, mam.
Reply #6 on: May 25, 2008, 04:24:06 PM
The blade opens and closes fine, it's just that when it is open all the way, there's a solid click and you can pretty much stick it in a boar without worry. Great for utility, not so great for security...
W

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: May 25, 2008, 04:27:47 PM
The blade opens and closes fine, it's just that when it is open all the way, there's a solid click and you can pretty much stick it in a boar without worry. Great for utility, not so great for security...

Look on the backside of the blade, down near where it pivots. See that notch? Maybe it needs some lubrication, or a slight radius on the edge?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline ultimaonliner

Offline ultimaonliner

Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 07:44:21 AM
Recalling my early physics education springs do not weaken when held in a static position, nor do they loose their force over time or through wear. Springs do weaken when pushed past their yield limit, causing deformation. The most familiar and debated instance of this is the springs in the magazines of firearms. For several years conventional wisdom held true that loaded magazines would fail more readily and have a significantly shorter service life that magazines left unloaded for storage. It took a while for enough evidence and testing to debunk this myth to accrue but slowly the tide has changed and most users have begun to realize that a spring does not wear unless it is in use for long periods of time and material is being removed from the interacting parts. Mere compression does nothing.

The way to break in springs in this capacity is actually to remove material from the blade tang or the spring face through use. This amount of material is minute in the overall measure but is enough to effect the function and feel of the spring, creating a sense of being broken in.

That said, remove any lubrication, open and close it a lot for a few days and then reevaluate.

Well, believe it or not, I know my share of the basic sciences, including physics.  But, I do not have an engineering background.  I'll have to take your word for all of this.  I am a bit surprised, though, that a real spring behaves in such an ideal fashion.

"

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD