Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Your thoughts on Chinese knives.

Offline Philthy

Your thoughts on Chinese knives.
on: January 16, 2014, 12:23:34 AM
At this point there are some fine knives made in China both brand name and off brand knives.  There are also boatloads of absolutely crappy knives made in China.

I prefer American, Japanese and European Knives (except France I'm not feeling those French knives).  In general all of my favorite knives are American or made in Seki (Or Cold Steel).

There's definitely a much better pride of ownership if I have a nicely made American or Japanese knife compared to a Chinese knife.

I think part of it is that I hate the fact that so many Chinese knife makers blatantly steal designs and sometimes infringe on manufacturers trademarks.

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Re: Your thoughts on Chinese knives.
Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 12:50:23 AM
At this point there are some fine knives made in China both brand name and off brand knives.  There are also boatloads of absolutely crappy knives made in China.

I prefer American, Japanese and European Knives (except France I'm not feeling those French knives).  In general all of my favorite knives are American or made in Seki (Or Cold Steel).

There's definitely a much better pride of ownership if I have a nicely made American or Japanese knife compared to a Chinese knife.

I think part of it is that I hate the fact that so many Chinese knife makers blatantly steal designs and sometimes infringe on manufacturers trademarks.

American makers steal designs and ideas from each other all the time.  Why is it that the Chinese makers are the ones that get crap for it?

Edit:  Do we really need more threads about bashing Chinese manufacturers?

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 01:05:38 AM
The major difference between china and the rest of the world is that trademarks and patents are blatantly ignored there.  Try sending a cease and desist to a china knock off company.

The big guys in the US like Busse have trademarks etc that they aggressively and successfully defend in the US.

Not trying to bash China, but from what I can tell thats the difference.  I also feel china gets enough business in every other area of manufacturing they dont need to take over high end knives as well.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline Pacu

Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 01:06:15 AM
I have some fine user knives from china. Works greats, cuts fine, I don't have to worry about jacking it up using it hard.

Now if Reeves wants me to endorse their fine blades you can contact me here .........

Truth is being a budget knife connoisseur that I am i'll use whatever feels right in both the hand and wallet.
:like:    :MTO:

Offline Philthy

Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 02:00:09 AM
American makers steal designs and ideas from each other all the time.  Why is it that the Chinese makers are the ones that get crap for it?

Edit:  Do we really need more threads about bashing Chinese manufacturers?

I am not familiar with an American knife manufacturer that put out a knife with someone elses name on it.  Can you give me an example?

Sure Microtech may essentially knockoff a ZT design (although changing it a bit), they do not have the ZT logos on it...in that instance I think it made Microtech look bad and hurts their reputation.

As far as price being hugely better for Chinese knives... In some cases, yes and in some cases not really.  I recently wanted to purchase another Axis lock style knife as a beater, I looked at some Chinese stuff (Enlan, Ganzo, etc) about $16-21 depending on the model.  I settled with a lightly used SOG Spec Elite I (Arc lock is very similiar if not smoother than an Axis lock) for $35 shipped.  It was about double the price but not really that much more and I would suggest worth it.

Let's be clear here I can confidently say I probably own more Chinese knives right now than anyone on this forum.  I dislike the vast majority of them lol ...there are some good ones.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 02:05:43 AM by Philthy »

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 02:05:00 AM
I have a mix of American, European, Japanese, and some Chinese/Taiwanese-made knives.  I've caught flak for my opinion on this before, but the fact is that I've seen and heard about enough issues with Chinese/Taiwanese made stuff (and not just knives) that I always consider it a gamble.  So, if I can get the Chinese or Taiwanese knives for a really excellent price, I might take a chance on them.  It's not a gamble I care to take, however, if the price begins to approach apparently comparable products made by reputable firms in some of the other aforementioned places.

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 02:33:38 AM
CRKT M16 -> Gerber EVO, EVO Jr.

Spyderco Tenacious -> Benchmade Vex

Spyderco Byrd Series -> Benchmade Pika, Sog Sogzilla

The EVO and Sogzilla series knives are all still on the market.The M16 is a design that CRKT licenses from custom maker Kit Carson under a royalty agreement.  As far as I know, Gerber pays no such royalties.  So yes, American makers copy ideas from each other on a pretty regular basis.

Given that, I don't think it's unreasonable to ask why Chinese makers should be singled out above all others for "stealing designs".

Offline Philthy

Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 02:40:37 AM
CRKT M16 -> Gerber EVO, EVO Jr.

Spyderco Tenacious -> Benchmade Vex

Spyderco Byrd Series -> Benchmade Pika, Sog Sogzilla

The designs are similiar but they do not carry the trademarked brand name of another company...that is what I asked for an example of.

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 02:46:50 AM
They're knives.
They're made in China.
Some are better than others.
Some are fantastic, some are crap.
Some are obvious ripoffs of another brand.
Some are quite original.
JUST LIKE KNIVES MADE IN ANY OTHER COUNTRY. :rant:

Its not about the country of origin, its about the individual manufacturer. Period.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #9 on: January 16, 2014, 02:57:20 AM
They're knives.
They're made in China.
Some are quite original.

Its not about the country of origin, its about the individual manufacturer. Period.

Exactly!  I've handled some crap Chinese knives.  I also own and use some excellent ones.  Same with knives made here in the US.  None of my Enlans, Ganzos, or SRM's are marked with anything other than the name of the manufacturer and the model designation, BTW......
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline AdmSlc

• adm.slc@icloud.com
Reply #10 on: January 16, 2014, 03:04:20 AM

They're knives.
They're made in China.
Some are quite original.

Amen!!

-AdmSlc

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #11 on: January 16, 2014, 03:07:40 AM
@P

Your question was on Chinese made knives, not knock offs.

BIG difference.

I have, use and like quite a few Chinese made knives, knock offs on the other hand... :ashley:

And before someone says SRM copies Buck, CRKT, ... nope. They are the OEM for those. ;)

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #12 on: January 16, 2014, 03:16:51 AM
I fear I may age myself here...but that smiley reminds me of the unknown comic from the Gong Show.  :)

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Pacu

Reply #13 on: January 16, 2014, 03:33:51 AM
now TEXAS made knives....
:like:    :MTO:

us Offline bdAmmo

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: January 16, 2014, 06:01:03 AM
now TEXAS made knives....

I hear that they're about half the size of Alaskan made knives ;)

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: January 16, 2014, 09:08:25 AM
I reckon I've three things to say in this thread....

1) Rough Rider...Nuff said
2) I have a US Buck,and the same model but as a China Buck. All things being equal,the China Buck is better!
3) I have a few SRMs. They rock!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #16 on: January 16, 2014, 10:27:51 AM
Some are good, some or bad. Just like everywhere.

sent from Nate's mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

gb Offline Spatha

• d---^__^---b
Reply #17 on: January 16, 2014, 10:54:28 AM
I read the thread title as "Your thoughts on Cheese Knives."

:facepalm:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: January 16, 2014, 12:13:57 PM
They're knives.
They're made in China.
Some are quite original.

Can't say it any better.  :)

I do own a fair share of knives made everywhere(mainly US, some Europe and Asian made), and I would say from a collecting standpoint, I vote with my wallet.  If I blatantly know that it is a knockoff or do think it is a shameful infringement, I can simply refuse to buy and not fueling the bad cause.

But on the other hand, I do want to see the big players, especially the higher-end knives, continue to grow and improve.  Everything we see and use nowadays probably is invented by someone, but if all we do is to bath in past glory, nothing will ever progress.  When I am paying hundreds of dollars to buy a knife, I'd like to know it is not simply for legal fees and advertising, but for hardwork they put in for quality control, custom feeback listening and innovation.

At the same time, I am happy to see healthy competition, Enlan/SRM/Ganzo have some original designs of their own, and it did serve their expected market well(low to low-mid end).  I am confident that in time, we will see better design, QC and material used from responsible manufacturer in China. ;)

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: January 16, 2014, 12:22:49 PM
Chi, did the SRM prices go up in HK as well in the last 6 months? Or is it cause they got popular in the west? Most of them are almost 2x the price now, some even more.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: January 16, 2014, 06:03:12 PM
Nikola,

Funny is that HK is not that big on knives, and most of the brands I see here are actually from US and Europe.  Rarely do I get to see SRM/Enlan/Ganzo being sold here.  But I think most people, especially those who live in mainland China, do get their knives online.

I think there might be some price hike as those brands are gaining popularity and production cost inevitably goes up.  But I do not observe prices doubling as shown on Taobao, which is the Chinese local version of Ebay.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: January 16, 2014, 06:25:09 PM
I'm comparing it to the SRM 710. The last batch I bought they came at about $6-7 a piece shipped, now the cheapest I can find them is  $14. Still cheap but double the price. Also as dks noted in another thread the Tank007 flashlights you could buy for $10 are now $20+. :shrug:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #22 on: January 16, 2014, 06:36:28 PM

Is one of these a knock-off?

Decide and then read through this thread:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1106075-Is-the-Curtis-F3-a-Hinderer-XM-18-Knockoff

As someone put it :
"It would be a ripoff if it was made in China"

I said it before, if I could I would only buy products made by my own family.
I can not so I buy and use knives and tools from various countries. I will avoid buying products from certain countries or areas or villages, for my own reasons, but I do not try to force my views or morals or ideas on everybody or assume that I am the holder of the one and only truth.
Buy whatever makes you happy and do not feel you must justify your actions to the web. Quality and value for money have no country.

to the OP : you need to try an opinel  :D
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #23 on: January 16, 2014, 07:22:00 PM
Here is another classic example of similar/knockoffs etc. , 30 years ago.

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: January 16, 2014, 08:04:40 PM
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5325/9340246807_5f7ee817cf_o.jpg

Is one of these a knock-off?

Decide and then read through this thread:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1106075-Is-the-Curtis-F3-a-Hinderer-XM-18-Knockoff

As someone put it :
"It would be a ripoff if it was made in China"

:rofl:

But the Inron MY803 is still considered a knock off, right? ;)

Offline Philthy

Reply #25 on: January 16, 2014, 08:31:37 PM
to the OP : you need to try an opinel  :D

I've owned a few dozen of them over the years.  Not my thing.  This is just my personal preference but I do not like wood on knives serving a structural function.  Heck in general I don't like wood on knives..but sometimes I do  :whistle:.  I know you can get an Opinel with a synthetic handle or Damascus blade but it's still a twist lock knife.

All of the French knives I've ever owned had archaic designs/materials.  Sure they were sharp, but just not my thing.  I've had Douk Douks, Forge De Laguioles, Opinels...

I like modern one hand opening knives that lock tight with modern materials.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #26 on: January 16, 2014, 08:39:57 PM
Take a look at the opinel thread; maybe you will see one you will like.  :D

I have several opinels but only really carry 1. The SS ones are better for daily use.

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: January 17, 2014, 05:33:00 AM
@P

Your question was on Chinese made knives, not knock offs.

BIG difference.

I have, use and like quite a few Chinese made knives, knock offs on the other hand... :ashley:

And before someone says SRM copies Buck, CRKT, ... nope. They are the OEM for those. ;)

Well, except for Boker.  They just cut out a step and license the designs from Chinese makers and put their own name it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Edit:  Just as an example

This is a Boker Magnum knife released last year called the Commander: http://www.warriorsandwonders.com/Boker_Knives/Boker_Magnum_01SC932_Commander

Here is the identical knife, released by a company called Combat Ready: http://www.warriorsandwonders.com/Combat_Ready/Combat_Ready_CBR101_Tanto_Folder_Black_Plain_Edge

Same knife.  Same blade, same handle, same size, same design.  The only thing different between the two is the company name on the blade.  Likely it's a design owned by a Chinese OEM that licensed it to both makers.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 07:00:12 AM by jekostas »

us Offline abd1959

Reply #28 on: January 19, 2014, 06:24:07 AM
I have several Chinese knives. Some are crap, most are average, and a few are superb. My Kershaw knives from China are generally very good. I have never had a problem with them. My Sanrenmu and Enlan knives have good quality control and are great knives especially when you consider the price point. Most of the crappy Chinese knives I have seen are the blatant ripoffs, using the original manufacturer's name, logo, model numbers, etc. 

If I like a knife and it is worth the price, I will buy it. I don't let politics influence my purchase.

us Offline Luna Knife

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: January 27, 2014, 05:37:06 AM
I think some CRKT and CINO-Made and are excellent super knives. 

There are  however, some chinese made knives that are made with melted down tin cans.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%