Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Skinth Loadout Thread!

kkokkolis · 589 · 103830

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Re: Skinth Loadout Thread!
Reply #540 on: December 04, 2022, 06:24:30 AM
Anyone have a skinth with a Leatherman free p4 in it?

au Offline PPCAPache

Reply #541 on: December 04, 2022, 06:44:03 AM
I have the following Skinths and which ones fit the Free P4

L Shield - Main pocket, fits nice, still room for small items in side pockets.

Mondo Shield - Fits good, plenty of room in main pocket for small flash light etc.

Skinth Plus - Fit is very good, gives more room for extra items like flashlight, bit card etc. Must get belt clip not loop

XL Shield - Does fit, but a lot of room at top, as. It'd designed for larger tools like the MUT & OHT.

All of the following the main pocket is deep so you will need to use the pocket clip so it does sink down, I carry the P4 in the side tubes and have Velcro straps for the XL & Magnum and clips for the Trailblazer

* Skinth XL
* Skinth Magnum
* Skinth Trailblazer

Hope that helps.

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

Founder & Chief UAV Pilot at Elevated Drone Control Zone

Rotation EDC: LM MUT, LM OHT, Fenix LD12 / LD22, Benchmade Mini Griptilian, Bit Card, Bit Extender, TEC Ti-Pry Bar, Garmin Tactix Delta, LM Tread LT, iPhone XS Max, iPad Pro (2020) 12.9”,

Other EDC: LM Surge, LM Wave, LM Wave BO, Skeletool & Skeletool KBX Coyote Tan, The RIT [Rapid Intervention Tool], Zippo Lighter,

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #542 on: December 05, 2022, 06:27:16 AM
I have the following Skinths and which ones fit the Free P4

L Shield - Main pocket, fits nice, still room for small items in side pockets.

Mondo Shield - Fits good, plenty of room in main pocket for small flash light etc.

Skinth Plus - Fit is very good, gives more room for extra items like flashlight, bit card etc. Must get belt clip not loop

XL Shield - Does fit, but a lot of room at top, as. It'd designed for larger tools like the MUT & OHT.

All of the following the main pocket is deep so you will need to use the pocket clip so it does sink down, I carry the P4 in the side tubes and have Velcro straps for the XL & Magnum and clips for the Trailblazer

* Skinth XL
* Skinth Magnum
* Skinth Trailblazer

Hope that helps. (Image removed from quote.)

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk
Yessir that's awesome, looking to carry free free p4, AAA light, sharpie mini and a pair of sewing thread nips/scissors

I'll probably have to add a leather or kydex sheath for the nips

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #543 on: January 16, 2023, 06:08:34 PM
Yessir that's awesome, looking to carry free free p4, AAA light, sharpie mini and a pair of sewing thread nips/scissors

I'll probably have to add a leather or kydex sheath for the nips

Old discussion but how did this work out?

Free P4, Mini Sharpie and AAA light will fit perfectly in a L Shield. Carried a Spirit or Wave and light/pen for years in one.

Also, bump

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #544 on: January 16, 2023, 06:16:26 PM
Old discussion but how did this work out?

Free P4, Mini Sharpie and AAA light will fit perfectly in a L Shield. Carried a Spirit or Wave and light/pen for years in one.

Also, bump
I haven't ordered one yet, I checked the website but also never confirmed my carry

I'm carrying thread snips and an Emisar d4v2 in my pocket full time for work

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #545 on: January 16, 2023, 07:40:04 PM
I haven't ordered one yet, I checked the website but also never confirmed my carry

I'm carrying thread snips and an Emisar d4v2 in my pocket full time for work

Here ya go.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #546 on: January 19, 2023, 08:50:52 PM
Anyone that can take a picture of a Surge in an XL for me?

Maybe with and without a bit card or two?

And or a AA flashlight in one of the tubes?

Thanks.

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #547 on: January 22, 2023, 01:15:51 PM
Your wish is my command, see pics. Skinth XL, Surge, AA light and some accessories. One might be able to fit in an extra tool card in a pinch, but it'll be a tight fit.

* 0222023121836.jpg (Filesize: 485.05 KB)

* 0222023121932.jpg (Filesize: 340.73 KB)

* 0222023121911.jpg (Filesize: 363.56 KB)
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #548 on: January 24, 2023, 02:04:41 PM
 :like:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #549 on: January 24, 2023, 04:05:40 PM
I sure hope Metro is doing great.  The Skinth is such a simple yet terrific tool.  Its always surprising to see what one can fit inside a Skinth. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #550 on: January 25, 2023, 02:09:58 AM
Your wish is my command, see pics. Skinth XL, Surge, AA light and some accessories. One might be able to fit in an extra tool card in a pinch, but it'll be a tight fit.

Perfect!

The bit card and saw blade holder are in the outside pocket?

What AA flashlight is that?

Also thanks for this.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #551 on: January 25, 2023, 06:07:18 PM
Ok. I have never had a Skinth :ahhh and with Harley asking about it, it has made me think about one :facepalm: :D

I usually carry a Charge for work. I also carry a bit card and the Surge extra blade sleeve with some extra blades in it :cheers:

I might also carry a pen or small flashlight as well. So which Skinth would be best for this :ahhh

Also, which options of closure do most of you guys go for because I know that he has been using magnetic closures lately along with the other types as well :think:

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #552 on: January 27, 2023, 05:46:03 PM
Perfect!

The bit card and saw blade holder are in the outside pocket?

What AA flashlight is that?

Also thanks for this.

:hatsoff:

Correct, outside pocket. The light is a local brand called Ansmann, probably a brand engineered Chinese product, with a fast focusing lens.
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #553 on: January 27, 2023, 05:51:42 PM
Ok. I have never had a Skinth :ahhh and with Harley asking about it, it has made me think about one :facepalm: :D

I usually carry a Charge for work. I also carry a bit card and the Surge extra blade sleeve with some extra blades in it :cheers:

I might also carry a pen or small flashlight as well. So which Skinth would be best for this :ahhh

Also, which options of closure do most of you guys go for because I know that he has been using magnetic closures lately along with the other types as well :think:

At a guess the Skinth L might be large enough, from what I remember the size to be (fits 4" tools, right?). The XL might give a too loose fit, unless you stuff it with additional items.

I've exclusively ordered snaps on mine. I'm not sure I'd trust magnets.
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #554 on: January 29, 2023, 05:35:07 AM

Charge is the same size as a Wave right?

If so I have all these things and both the 4” sized Skinths.

Will take some pictures tomorrow once I get out of my warm bed.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #555 on: January 29, 2023, 05:35:38 AM
:hatsoff:

Correct, outside pocket. The light is a local brand called Ansmann, probably a brand engineered Chinese product, with a fast focusing lens.

Perfect, thanks.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #556 on: January 29, 2023, 04:18:54 PM

There is a lot to unpack here so bear with me.

This is all based on the assumption that the Charge and Wave are the same size?

Easy part first, don’t know Smurf’s about the magnet closure. But for $35 I am very tempted to try one out maybe in a new color. The double magnet thing might give some adjustments to how tight the flap is if that makes any sense?

So these are the tools I added to the various Skinth models. Wave, AAA light, Space Pen, Bit Card and Surge file in the sleeve.

Here they all are loaded in a Skinth Shield Large with snap closure.

Everything fits but it is very tight. Flap closes easy but taking out the Wave need a small bead or lanyard for best results.

This is everything in a Skinth Shield XL. I was very surprised how the Wave wasn’t swallowed up by the deeper XL. Everything fit great and drawing out the Wave was easy.

Couple of what could be issues though. The flashlight and pen kinda sit outside the flap. I can pull them out without opening the flap. Maybe using a pen and light with a pocket clip would be great.

Also the flap has some dead space when closed because it’s suppose to cover a larger tool. Less of an issue imo.

Overall I am very intrigued with a 4” tool in the XL. Honestly never tried it before and the extra space for bit cards or Victorinox ratchet is interesting. The flashlight is pretty secure in its holder but pen not so much.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #557 on: January 29, 2023, 05:52:35 PM
So I loaded up my Large Shield with a Spirit, Space Pen and AAA flashlight. This is the way I carried it for years and never lost the pen or flashlight.

I can still take the pen out without opening the flap so may have over stated it’s ability to be lost in my last post.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #558 on: January 31, 2023, 02:27:30 AM
Sorry for not seeing these replies, guys :ahhh I had forgot about asking the question :facepalm: :oops: :D

I appreciate the info and the pics it has helped me quite a bit :woohoo: :like: :like:

I like to carry both 4 inch and 4 1/2 inch tools, so the XL may fit the way I carry a bit better :salute:

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #559 on: February 12, 2023, 05:05:05 PM
Seems like a good place to put this.

Did a little experiment the other day.

Spirit, AAA flashlight and Space Pen.

Here we have Surge, Bit Card, Surge File, Ratchet extension and AAA light.

I was frankly surprised at the big difference in weight between the two load outs.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #560 on: February 13, 2023, 06:48:51 PM
 :o quite a bit different :ahhh 7.4 oz isn't a lot in one way but in another way it is a big deal :sa:  :ahhh

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #561 on: February 15, 2023, 03:30:50 AM
:o quite a bit different :ahhh 7.4 oz isn't a lot in one way but in another way it is a big deal :sa:  :ahhh

The Surge and accessories Skinth is a good bit thicker then the Spirit Skinth also. Sits further out from the belt.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #562 on: February 28, 2023, 04:09:57 PM
Got a medium Shield just ordered.

Excited to see how the slightly smaller then the Large works with just a 4” multi tool and no bit cards or the like.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #563 on: February 28, 2023, 07:28:57 PM
I wish everything was as robust and useful as those Skinths.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #564 on: March 01, 2023, 08:41:24 PM
I wish everything was as robust and useful as those Skinths.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #565 on: March 02, 2023, 06:14:49 AM
More and more I come across a nut/bolt that the Leatherman can't get to, so I've ordered the 5" knipex cobras. I didn't like that the 4" don't lock, even though they would be easier to carry

And I'm ready to order, just don't think an XL is tall enough. And the MUT sheild might be too tall for the free p4.

Any input?

Maybe 2x smaller sheaths, like a lite-batman

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #566 on: March 05, 2023, 10:48:07 AM
If the MUT Shield fits the Cobra, I`d go for that. One can add some filling at the bottom of the Shield that lets the top of the Free P4 and the remaining items sit about level with the opening of the Shield. The filler could be like a fat T shape of foam (to lodge the Cobra´s handles left and right of the stem) or ideally something useful (little box, possibly 3D printed, e.g. with bits or fire making materials?). Probably better if you separate the Cobra from the rest with a thin plastic plate.
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #567 on: March 25, 2023, 08:01:58 PM
Forgot how long it takes for a new Skinth to be made and shipped out. Waiting is lame.

Have a Burgandy Medium Shield ordered.

Hopeful it will just be a slightly tighter version of the Large. Would be prefect for big SAKs if so.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #568 on: March 25, 2023, 08:05:58 PM
Forgot how long it takes for a new Skinth to be made and shipped out. Waiting is lame.

Have a Burgandy Medium Shield ordered.

Hopeful it will just be a slightly tighter version of the Large. Would be prefect for big SAKs if so.
Also considering buying a SAK-specific skinth.
I should look at the loadouts in this thread to check for what fits in medium and small. And I will! :D
But still, please post fitment pics when you get it. :poke:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #569 on: March 27, 2023, 12:03:28 AM
Also considering buying a SAK-specific skinth.
I should look at the loadouts in this thread to check for what fits in medium and small. And I will! :D
But still, please post fitment pics when you get it. :poke:

Still waiting on the Medium Shield but I do have a Small Shield.

Here is the Small with a Swisschamp.

With a Champion and a Lumintop Tool AAA Flashlight.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%