Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

[Resolved] Need a mechanic's help/advice for a truck issue!

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Hello all,

Not sure where to ask or if I should ask here but I need some mechanic's advice/help trouble shoot problem!

A couple of days ago, I went out to my truck (2001 Dakota w/plow) and cleaned up my driveway.  As usual, my truck starts right up when I just reach inside with the key and turn it.  So I got done plowing and went to the gas station to put a few bucks in the tank cause I was down to 1/4 tank so I put in 5 gallons.

I got in it and turned the key and nothing so I said "dang" and thought the battery died or something.  I tried it again and held the key on and it acted like it wanted to start and eventually did, then did.  I repeated this a couple of times and finally got it to stay started and drove home, parked it.  Waited an hour and tried to start it, it did the same thing.  Acted like the battery is dead by no noise when key is turned but if I keep the key turned it does start.

Well today, I went out to start it to clean up the 4 or so inches of snow and it did the same thing.  Acted like it has a dead battery but with the key turned it eventually starts but now it wont stay started.  It dies as soon as I let up on the gas.

Does any mechanic have any idea what might be going on or some things I can check? 

Please feel free to PM me or email me at "mjp2k@hotmail.com" or if you want I can give you my phone number to call.

Thank you in advance for any help figuring this out!  MTO, I apologize if this isnt the place/thread for this but I am desperate!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 09:13:58 PM by Mr. Whippy »

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Re: Need a mechanic's help/advice for a truck issue!
Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 12:43:04 AM
I'm not a mechanic at all, but I have a 2003 Durango that had issues with the wiring as well. It never got to the point that it didn't work, but my connection to the positive battery terminal corroded extremely. This is a common occurrence on these rigs so  I don't know if you are having something similar.

It could also be the ignition switch itself as that is another well known and often recalled issue on Dodges. Sorry I don't have a definitive answer for you :-\. Hope you get it figured out though!
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 01:08:42 AM
I would start with cleaning the battery contacts.  It's a common problem.  Use one of those battery brushes and clean up the terminals and cable ends.

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 01:33:13 AM
Thanks guys for the comments.

I know what you mean by the corroded terminal and it was one of the first things I did today was to take the positive off and hit it with a wire brush.

Still has the same results/issues!

Any more help....please!! :D

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 01:46:20 AM
Need new batteries? Maybe the cold killed it :)

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 01:47:56 AM

Maybe but I dont really think that is it but I could be wrong! :)

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 01:49:11 AM

Maybe but I dont really think that is it but I could be wrong! :)
Alternator maybe?

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 01:50:16 AM
Caveat:  I am not a qualified mechanic or auto electrician,  and this advice is given for free, is guidelines only and may not be appropriate for all vehicles and all temperatures and operating conditions and so should not be relied on too heavily.

Check the battery voltage (buy a cheap digital multi-meter if you don't already own one).

Switched off it should be 12.6 -13.1V (all figures approximate)

Cranking starter motor should be around 9.5 - 10.5V (depending on temperature)

Engine running should be 13.8 - 14.4V

If battery is dubious get it properly load tested with a heavy duty battery load tester.

If battery is OK then the next suspects are ignition switch, starter motor and starter electrical circuits.  Don't forget to check all connections, earth side as well as live side.  Look for corrosion and voltage drop.  Just because a wire looks OK on the outside doesn't mean it's not broken inside the insulation.  If the voltage regulator is supplying too high a voltage to the battery that can wreck a battery quite quickly, and completely flattening a battery damages it as well so it can't hold a full amount of charge.

It can sometimes be cheaper to get a trusted expert to diagnose the fault correctly rather than just replacing expensive components in the hope "this one" might be it (eg battery, alternator, voltage regulator, starter motor, ignition switch, solenoids, relays etc)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 01:56:37 AM by gregozedobe »
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 01:57:17 AM
Check the battery voltage (buy a cheap digital multi-meter if you don't already own one).

Switched off it should be 12.6 -13.1V (all figures approximate)

Cranking starter motor should be around 9.5 - 10.5V (depending on temperature)

Engine running should be 13.8 - 14.4V

If battery is dubious get it properly load tested with a heavy duty battery load tester.

If battery is OK then the next suspects are ignition switch, starter motor and starter electrical circuits.  Don't forget to check all connections, earth side as well as live side.  Look for corrosion and voltage drop.  Just because a wire looks OK on the outside doesn't mean it's not broken inside the insulation.  If the voltage regulator is supplying too high a voltage to the battery that can wreck a battery quite quickly, and completely flattening a battery damages it as well so it can't hold a full amount of charge.

It can sometimes be cheaper to get a trusted expert to diagnose the fault correctly rather than just replacing expensive components in the hope "this one" might be it (eg battery, alternator, voltage regulator, starter motor, ignition switch, solenoids, relays etc)

That is what I dont want to do either is just start replacing stuff.  If I can get it to stay started, I can drive it to my car guy who is about 7-8 miles away from me.  The weather here is nice for today and tomorrow, then I guess some more crap coming in!

us Offline SublimetalMsG

Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 02:18:49 AM
I'm no professional but my cousin is and before he was a mechanic me and him both tore down and rebuilt a couple jeeps. From what it sounds like you said it seems like the battery but if you leave the key in it starts? If its making a turn over sound its not the battery or the starter. Unless its silent when you turn the key the battery is fine. I wouldn't be surprised if its your fuel pump.
I don't know yet

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 02:25:24 AM
Are you getting any codes? 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #11 on: February 19, 2014, 02:26:50 AM
I'm no professional but my cousin is and before he was a mechanic me and him both tore down and rebuilt a couple jeeps. From what it sounds like you said it seems like the battery but if you leave the key in it starts? If its making a turn over sound its not the battery or the starter. Unless its silent when you turn the key the battery is fine. I wouldn't be surprised if its your fuel pump.

Yeah, when I first turn the key, I get nothing but if I leave it turned like you would when trying to start it not just leaving the key in the ignition but turning it, then it eventually kicks in and will start but then quit.

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #12 on: February 19, 2014, 02:34:24 AM
I dont get any codes!

Are you getting any codes? 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

us Offline SublimetalMsG

Reply #13 on: February 19, 2014, 02:34:56 AM
So its making the the cherking sound when you turn the key right? I bet its your fuel pump they like to go in the winter. Or it could be a loose conector on the pump. If you look under the truck and look for a female to male connector around near the tank it will look like its going into the top of the tank. Make sure its connected all the way. If it is then you probably need a new pump.
I don't know yet

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: February 19, 2014, 02:36:42 AM
Which engine do you have?

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #15 on: February 19, 2014, 02:40:32 AM
Hmmmm, could be pump, or fuel filter.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

us Offline Hyatt181

Reply #16 on: February 19, 2014, 02:42:30 AM
Do you have a volt meter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I like bowls, they contain chaos.

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #17 on: February 19, 2014, 02:51:16 AM
So its making the the cherking sound when you turn the key right? I bet its your fuel pump they like to go in the winter. Or it could be a loose conector on the pump. If you look under the truck and look for a female to male connector around near the tank it will look like its going into the top of the tank. Make sure its connected all the way. If it is then you probably need a new pump.

Not right away but if I hold the key on, then I get the "cherking" and it will start but die once I let up on gas.  I will check this out tomorrow as it is getting too dark and colder to stay out.  Thx.

Which engine do you have?

I have the 4.7L V8 with 129K miles on it.

Hmmmm, could be pump, or fuel filter.

I will look into those! Thx.

Do you have a volt meter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, I dont have a volt meter anymore! :(
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 02:53:30 AM by sir_mike »

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #18 on: February 19, 2014, 02:53:19 AM
You have the same engine I do, but I haven't has this happen before. I'll do some research tomorrow to see what I can find.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #19 on: February 19, 2014, 02:54:29 AM
Would you be able to record a short video of what it's doing? Might help if we can here what's going on.

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: February 19, 2014, 02:54:36 AM
hmmm, I know the 5.2/5.8 have weird issues when the battery gets weak (ask me how I know lol) but I dont think its the case in the 4.7.

Fuel  pump is my next guess for sure. Tragically common on Dodges (ask me how I know that too... ::) )

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #21 on: February 19, 2014, 02:55:36 AM
You have the same engine I do, but I haven't has this happen before. I'll do some research tomorrow to see what I can find.

Thanks!  It has been a great truck and I have had other Dakota's before without any issues!  I think that engine is a very good one!

us Offline JAfromMn

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #22 on: February 19, 2014, 03:00:18 AM
Sounds like the battery to me

you got to get a load tester on it.

that's where is look. Also make sure your battery connections are clean.
Defend the Hive!!!

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #23 on: February 19, 2014, 03:00:42 AM
hmmm, I know the 5.2/5.8 have weird issues when the battery gets weak (ask me how I know lol) but I dont think its the case in the 4.7.

Fuel  pump is my next guess for sure. Tragically common on Dodges (ask me how I know that too... ::) )

Any idea on what the fuel pump runs for the 4.7L  The truck is a 2001.
01dakota.jpg
* 01dakota.jpg (Filesize: 15.19 KB)

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #24 on: February 19, 2014, 03:03:26 AM
I cleaned them real good.  Maybe I will get a chance to use my Super Tool 300 tomorrow! :)

Sounds like the battery to me

you got to get a load tester on it.

that's where is look. Also make sure your battery connections are clean.

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: February 19, 2014, 03:04:59 AM
Every pump Ive ever bought for various cars has run me around $100. Its changing it that sucks. Gotta drop the tank down.

I would seriously check the battery voltage first. My Ram did crazy weird crap when I first bought it because of the weak battery. Problem is the computer is REALLY picky about voltage, as soon as the voltage dips below that (the threshold is a difference of like .1 volt), it goes haywire. Mine would start, seemed fine, then just die. Acted like the alternator was shot honestly, but nope, the system was just a hair below what the ECU was willing to put up with.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 03:08:56 AM by thebullfrog »

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #26 on: February 19, 2014, 03:11:38 AM
Wow, that stinks!  I dont drive it on the road as I have other vehicles so it just gets used for plowing my drive this winter.  It was used all the time last spring/summer/fall without any issues whatsoever!

Thx.

Every pump Ive ever bought for various cars has run me around $100. Its changing it that sucks. Gotta drop the tank down.

I would seriously check the battery voltage first. My Ram did crazy weird crap when I first bought it because of the weak battery. Problem is the computer is REALLY picky about voltage, as soon as the voltage dips below that (the threshold is a difference of like .1 volt), it goes haywire. Mine would start, seemed fine, then just die. Acted like the alternator was shot honestly, but nope, the system was just a hair below what the ECU was willing to put up with.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #27 on: February 19, 2014, 08:49:17 AM
Just buy/borrow a cheap volt meter.  You should be able to get something useable for under $10.00 which is way cheaper than replacing OK components and finding that doesn't fix the problem. Just look at it as some kind of strange multi-tool (which it is).

Diagnosing electrical problems over the internet is fraught with all kinds of difficulties, and as you can already see all sorts of solutions are being offered up, but they are all based on incomplete information (including mine).
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: February 19, 2014, 09:00:07 AM
As advised before, I would check battery voltage.
An easy test would be to hook up teh battery from another vehicle via jumpstart wires and see if teh error still occurs.
If not, the battery is faulty. If it is, let someone have a look why - maybe it does not get full charge from teh alternator or something is sucking it dry.
Next step is checking the earth connection, too much resistance or a weak contact there may cause all kinds of troubles.

afterwards I´d start looking into starter switch
starter relais
fuel pump
fuel filter
starter motor

Best of luck!

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #29 on: February 19, 2014, 09:49:59 AM
 :think:  have you checked your flux capacitor?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%