Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Free Series 30836

No Life Club Posts: 2,624 One Day Closer To Death
Re: Leatherman Free Series
« Reply #1170 on: Today at 07:38:55 AM »
I think I paid $9, so it's hard to complain  :rofl:
I mght try a small round file, but its very small, maybe the lansky blade medic tapered file would work, i'm just don't want to ruin that...even though I can't sharpen worth a lick with it.

BB :B:
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 5,041
« Reply #1171 on: Today at 07:56:24 AM »
OK. Did some comparisons to what I consider the closest competitor from LM for the LM Free P2. AND IT AIN'T THE WAVE.  :D

IT IS THE................WAIT FOR IT.................THE WINGMAN! :woohoo:

So, to start, let me be clear. The Wingman is in no way, shape, quality-wise or aesthetically comparable to the P2. It just has a similar set of tools, excluding the P2's awl and medium flat driver.  The Wingman does not have an awl or medium flat driver.

If somebody wants a basic tool and wants a Leatherman, the Wingman is still is a great option.

Photos.

Blade:
I like the shape of the P2 blade better, and it is a bit longer.
(Image removed from quote.)

Scissor:
I have always felt the Wingman scissors were flimsy and akward to use. The Free scissors aren't as "big"(which isn't a great single-measure of usefulness), but they are leagues above the Wingman scissors in quality. Much better steel stock, rigidity, and cut.

Big drivers:
The phillips is much better in form than the Wingman, and the P2 also has a bottle opener on the phillips. The blade stock, while the P2's looks much thicker than the Wingman phillips, is the same thickness. The better formed tip makes a huge difference though.
The flat driver tip on the Wingman is too thick to be useful, but makes a decent pry tool. The P2 flat driver steel stock is 0.8mm thicker than the steel stock on the Wingman. The P2 tip is more of a useful size and has a sharpened edge for miscellaneous applications. Also the P2 big-flat can be used as a pry tool without worrying too much.

File:
The Wingman file is wider, but is only a single cut on one side. The P2 has a single cut on one side and a cross-cut on the other side. Both are tipped with a medium/small-ish flat driver.

Can opener:
The P2 uses a SAK-style quarter-circle opener, while the Wingman uses the classic LM can opener with wire stripper. The P2 has a smaller wire stripper on the medium long-flat driver.

Pliers:
The P2 has a beautifully machined pliers head, but the bolt-grip area is similar to the Wave's(but smaller) and much smaller than the Wingman's. Note: Wingman pliers are spring loaded and are infamous for having slop. The P2, like the Wave, has no slop in the pliers head.

Anyway, the point is this:
If you have an issue with paying $119 for an urban type MT that only offers massively superior fit & finish/action/style/comfort over the Wingman, but doesn't really add any true practical function(aside from the long medium flat driver and awl/micro driver that the P2 has), then the Wingman is still a good option.  :)
My choice of the two would be the P2. Mostly, because I really like the fit & finish, mechanism, action, and style. The fit & finish are above the SwissTool Spirit on the totem pole. The P2 is 100% made in the US, while the Wingman uses a portion of outsourced parts, which isn't important to everyone, but some of us think it is awesome the P2 is full-on US made. The P2 is MASSIVELY more comfortable to use. The P2 has all-locking implements that can be accessed ALL from the outside of the tool WITH JUST ONE HAND. The only other full-OHO is the OHT from LM, but that tool isn't practical for pocket carry.

I'll do another quick write-up with the P4 tomorrow(if it comes) and Wave, since their toolsets are similar. The P2 toolset is similar to the Wingman.

Great comparison and writeup gerleatherberman. Thank you  :tu:
Looking forward to the P2/Wave one...
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 8,197 Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
« Reply #1172 on: Today at 08:00:34 AM »
I think I paid $9, so it's hard to complain  :rofl:
I mght try a small round file, but its very small, maybe the lansky blade medic tapered file would work, i'm just don't want to ruin that...even though I can't sharpen worth a lick with it.
I take for granted the access I have to so many tools at home and work. :facepalm:
I use a $10 set of small diamond coated needle files I bought at harbor freight. Great files for hard metal. :)

Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 8,197 Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
« Reply #1173 on: Today at 08:03:04 AM »
Great comparison and writeup gerleatherberman. Thank you  :tu:
Looking forward to the P2/Wave one...
You're welcome and thank you, Matt! :cheers:

Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $174.00
PayPal Fees: $11.20
Net Balance: $162.80
Below Goal: $137.20
Site Currency: USD
54%