Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Hacked Leatherman Owners Club.

zoidberg · 3532 · 389817

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: The Hacked Leatherman Owners Club.
Reply #2310 on: April 15, 2019, 11:10:03 PM
I never check my posts :whistle: spellchecker puts what it wants to :rant: :D

Oh and :nanadance:         :nanadance:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2311 on: April 15, 2019, 11:11:13 PM
But yes, I mean removable bit driver, just much longer to spell :D

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2312 on: April 15, 2019, 11:53:04 PM
They should have called it something like Phillips Bit Driver Adapter.  :think:

spam Offline Happy Gilmore

• No Life Club
Reply #2313 on: April 16, 2019, 01:20:50 AM
A black oxide super surge appears... A truly rare specimen.

Also, discovered a way to get pivot screw spares. M3.5-.6 6mm screws

Cheers,
HG

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2314 on: April 16, 2019, 01:43:18 AM
Nice job,  HG :like:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #2315 on: April 16, 2019, 12:28:54 PM
Very nice looking in BO :like: :tu:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2316 on: April 16, 2019, 01:47:28 PM
Looks good HG !  What's up with the phillips screw in the plier pivot ?

• No Life Club
Reply #2317 on: April 16, 2019, 02:13:04 PM
Looks good HG !  What's up with the phillips screw in the plier pivot ?

I hate the proprietary screws so I ordered some M3.5-0.6 6mm screws to be used for those pivots, its not perfect but nice to know I have backups now.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F33TLAO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

:cheers:
HG

• No Life Club
Reply #2318 on: April 16, 2019, 09:11:12 PM
Made some changes after I realised that Sam's setup was really superior. The only difference is that I have the saw/file exchanger on the Surge side and the combo blade instead of file on the ST300 inside.

I also lubed the smurf out of this thing and now the pliers are OHT. The screws I used work great the first time but are much softer and therefore the threads get chewed up after repeated screwing and unscrewing. I won't recommend them unless the choice is to sacrifice another tool or use these screws. They work fine but not if you continue to mod the tools.

Cheers,
H.G.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2319 on: April 17, 2019, 04:04:24 AM
Looks nice 8) Hope they are very useful for you :salute: Someday perhaps I will make one as well :dd:

• No Life Club
Reply #2320 on: April 17, 2019, 04:09:23 AM
Looks nice 8) Hope they are very useful for you :salute: Someday perhaps I will make one as well :dd:

Honestly poncho I think the surge/ST300 doesn't gain that much from doing the conversion because the external tools on the surge are so good. One good reason to do it is if you like the ST300 Philips, which doesn't fit on a surge at all.

The Wave/ Rebar hybrid on the other hand seems really really worth it.

The reason there is such a difference is that the internal dimensions on the Wave and Surge are identical, but the external tools on the surge are much bigger. As long as you don't like scissors on your MT (and I prefer mine on the Vic Manger), you gain so much small tool real-estate by adding a rebar component. I hope when I receive my blast that it will give me even more internal space. But hard to know without testing.

Cheers,
H.G.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #2321 on: April 17, 2019, 08:44:16 AM
One good reason to do it is if you like the ST300 Philips, which doesn't fit on a surge at all.
Ahem! cough cough...

• No Life Club
Reply #2322 on: April 17, 2019, 02:32:08 PM
Ahem! cough cough...

Ok...let me clarify, you need tons of spacers and it only fits with one other tool. The benefit of using a ST300 Frame is that you can fit a total of 5 tools on that side including two long tools. Basically you gain one inside tool in exchange for either the scissor or blade exchanger. Which is why I am not 100% sure its worth it. If your not a fan of the Scissors its probably much better.

Cheers,
H.G.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #2323 on: April 17, 2019, 04:08:51 PM
Ok...let me clarify, you need tons of spacers and it only fits with one other tool. The benefit of using a ST300 Frame is that you can fit a total of 5 tools on that side including two long tools. Basically you gain one inside tool in exchange for either the scissor or blade exchanger. Which is why I am not 100% sure its worth it. If your not a fan of the Scissors its probably much better.

Cheers,
H.G.

Ahemm.. cough cough..too

Why the different philips, because it seats in the centre axis.

Mine was very much a built up of balance parts. I only have one frame, scissor and the blade from a surge. You are right in the sense that half surge/wave have no real benefit. After all, one handle can accomodate 2 long tool and 3 short "most" of the time. Love the Surge as a whole. ST300, sorry not so much as I personally feel the handles to be harsher on the palm on heavy grip. Core is still my favourite for tradition butterfly opening heavy hitter so thats why my BN replaceable cutter is there.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #2324 on: April 17, 2019, 04:27:30 PM
Nice one Sam  :like: :tu:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

• No Life Club
Reply #2325 on: April 17, 2019, 04:46:59 PM
Sam, you and your amazing metal work modding skills.  :hatsoff:

Where do those tools come from BTW?

Ok, I give...if you mod the tools than basically anything is possible as you show often. I was thinking from a slot in kind of situation. What do you think of the Reaver? For some reason it feels like you gain more from the Wave/Rebar combo but maybe I'm wrong.

Cheers,
H.G.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #2326 on: April 17, 2019, 04:54:49 PM
Sam, you and your amazing metal work modding skills.  :hatsoff:

Where do those tools come from BTW?

Ok, I give...if you mod the tools than basically anything is possible as you show often. I was thinking from a slot in kind of situation. What do you think of the Reaver? For some reason it feels like you gain more from the Wave/Rebar combo but maybe I'm wrong.

Cheers,
H.G.

:hatsoff: Those are from a OG Supertool. You will be happy to know the tang profile is exactly the same. Just need some work on the locking notch. Many goodies in the old school tools.  :tu:

Ultimately, it depends on what you need in a multitool. Obi is another magician. I think he fitted 7 tools in one rebar handle. Which a wave is never able to do.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2327 on: April 17, 2019, 04:57:58 PM
Blast pivot pin and locking tab in a Rebar frame is how Obi did that if i remember correctly. Not sure how smooth the opening and closing of tools will be in that mod though.

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #2328 on: April 17, 2019, 08:20:18 PM
:hatsoff: Those are from a OG Supertool. You will be happy to know the tang profile is exactly the same. Just need some work on the locking notch. Many goodies in the old school tools.  :tu:

Ultimately, it depends on what you need in a multitool. Obi is another magician. I think he fitted 7 tools in one rebar handle. Which a wave is never able to do.

7 is definitely possible on a side. I managed 6 standard tools incl. scissors and large flat which are both thick tools. Haven’t felt the urge yet to mod another LM as this Rebar gives me (almost) all I need. Great platform to mod IMO.
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

• No Life Club
Reply #2329 on: April 17, 2019, 08:26:48 PM
Blast pivot pin and locking tab in a Rebar frame is how Obi did that if i remember correctly. Not sure how smooth the opening and closing of tools will be in that mod though.

very cool,

I have 2x BO Blasts on the way atm, one is brand new (leaving as is) and the other I am taking apart to see if I can make a Wave/Blast hybrid. However, what I've learned from the Core I recently received is that the width of the frame might not indicate necessarily more space inside. The ST300 has less total width but more internal space than the Core.

Core: 13.55-13.67mm inside
19.4-19.5mm outside

ST300: 14.05-14.15mm inside
18.98-19.21mm ouside

also I started a new thread about tool dimensions a while ago, now that I have a new battery in my Caliper and access to way way more tools, I'll probably start filling in the stats.

7 is definitely possible on a side. I managed 6 standard tools incl. scissors and large flat which are both thick tools. Haven’t felt the urge yet to mod another LM as this Rebar gives me (almost) all I need. Great platform to mod IMO.

WAIT! how did they fit the Saw and knife on one side of the Rebar? That would be a big deal if it works consistently. Is that because you are using the Wave head rather than the one for Rebar?

Cheers,
H.G.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #2330 on: April 17, 2019, 08:39:28 PM
The zytel series are thicker because of the zytel inserts. The internals are pretty much the same. So is the blast and a rebar...

• No Life Club
Reply #2331 on: April 17, 2019, 08:44:04 PM
The zytel series are thicker because of the zytel inserts. The internals are pretty much the same. So is the blast and a rebar...

I can justify them being the same if I can use the wave Pivots over the proprietary ones in the Blast, I'm praying they work so that I can keep them easy to clean. I even have spare surge Pivots if it turns out to be too wide.

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #2332 on: April 17, 2019, 08:49:05 PM
Quote from: Happy Gilmore link=topic=51510.msg1916499# :tu:msg1916499 date=1555525608
WAIT! how did they fit the Saw and knife on one side of the Rebar? That would be a big deal if it works consistently. Is that because you are using the Wave head rather than the one for Rebar?

Cheers,
H.G.

The saw is thin and fits comfortably together with the PE blade without snagging the pliers. No need to change to Wave pliers...I just prefer the rounded shape
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2333 on: April 17, 2019, 09:11:58 PM
I can justify them being the same if I can use the wave Pivots over the proprietary ones in the Blast, I'm praying they work so that I can keep them easy to clean. I even have spare surge Pivots if it turns out to be too wide.

If you are going to mod a lot then it will save you a lot of time to get the Loki wrenches :pok: Then you won't have to worry about the type of fastener a MT uses :D

I know it has saved me a lot of aggravation since I bought my set :salute:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2334 on: April 17, 2019, 09:12:47 PM

Great mod,  Max :cheers: the Rebar is one of the best platforms to mod, IMO :tu: :like:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2335 on: April 17, 2019, 09:13:29 PM
Ahemm.. cough cough..too

(Image removed from quote.)

Why the different philips, because it seats in the centre axis.

Mine was very much a built up of balance parts. I only have one frame, scissor and the blade from a surge. You are right in the sense that half surge/wave have no real benefit. After all, one handle can accomodate 2 long tool and 3 short "most" of the time. Love the Surge as a whole. ST300, sorry not so much as I personally feel the handles to be harsher on the palm on heavy grip. Core is still my favourite for tradition butterfly opening heavy hitter so thats why my BN replaceable cutter is there.

Love the old mixed with the new, Sam 8) :like:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #2336 on: April 17, 2019, 09:18:43 PM
Great mod,  Max :cheers: the Rebar is one of the best platforms to mod, IMO :tu: :like:

:hatsoff: thanks Poncho.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #2337 on: April 17, 2019, 09:20:16 PM
If you are going to mod a lot then it will save you a lot of time to get the Loki wrenches :pok: Then you won't have to worry about the type of fastener a MT uses :D

I know it has saved me a lot of aggravation since I bought my set :salute:

:iagree: like what Poncho said. Get the wrench. They are abit costly, but well worth the price and save u alot of headache. The zytel series are tricky. As there are plastic components, applying heat on the screw to break the locktite can risk damaging them. Many older tools are insanely tight. Using pliers on them usually doesn't work very well.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #2338 on: April 17, 2019, 10:21:49 PM
Ok...let me clarify, you need tons of spacers and it only fits with one other tool.

True... I couldn't get the can opener back in there. Perhaps there is something else that could fit?

• No Life Club
Reply #2339 on: April 17, 2019, 10:31:22 PM
True... I couldn't get the can opener back in there. Perhaps there is something else that could fit?

I'd take out the medium flat for it if you want the can opener, but honestly it is not need as a plier can open a can much faster anyway. Try it..if you have a plier no one needs a can opener..

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%