Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

These are officially THE BEST multitools ever.

glorn · 71 · 8997

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Re: These are officially THE BEST multitools ever.
Reply #30 on: April 18, 2014, 08:01:56 PM
The Vic. Rambler belongs in there somewhere . I'm thinking about a Rebar , it's a great
PST upgrade . I don't care about OHO , I almost always have a folder.

Chris
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 08:04:11 PM by Styerman »

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #31 on: April 19, 2014, 12:40:54 AM
The Vic. Rambler belongs in there somewhere . I'm thinking about a Rebar , it's a great
PST upgrade . I don't care about OHO , I almost always have a folder.

Chris
I don't seem to miss OHO with my Rebar. I've gotten quite proficient in opening it with 2 hands and selecting the desired tool. It's also one of the lightest weighing tools for what all it offers, especially compared to the Wave.
SAW

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
  • His name is Robert Paulson.
Reply #32 on: April 19, 2014, 01:40:03 AM
I don't mind OHO at all, but I also always have a folder. So OHO just doesn't trump the sleeker design of a Rebar or PST or ST300. I also prefer simpler designs, and the "tool box" design of classic LMs is nothing if not simple. Less to break or fail.

I do think that Vic nailed it with the Swisstool outside nail nick tools. I'd love to see LM adopt that on the Rebar.

That said, the Wave is still number two for me in spite of my misgivings among modern in-production multis. It is a brilliant design. If I didn't have a folder on me or just didn't want to carry one, the Wave would be my EDC.

I must admit, all of you Surge fanatics made me get my original out the other day. I carried it for a long time some years ago. And now I think I may want to sell it off and pick up the newer model. Thanks a lot, ya buncha enabling knuckleheads.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 01:44:14 AM by glorn »
G

us Offline sawman

Reply #33 on: April 19, 2014, 01:43:38 AM
I don't mind OHO at all, but I also always have a folder. So OHO just doesn't trump the sleeker design of a Rebar or PST or ST300. I also prefer simpler designs, and the "tool box" design of classic LMs is nothing if not simple. Less to break or fail.

I do think that Vic nailed it with the outside nail nick tools. I'd love to see LM adopt that on the Rebar.

That said, the Wave is still number two for me in spite of my misgivings among modern in-production multis. It is a brilliant design. If I didn't have a folder on me or just didn't want to carry one, the Wave would be my EDC.

I must admit, all of you Surge fanatics made me get my original out the other day. I carried it for a long time some years ago. And now I think I may want to sell it off and pick up the newer model. Thanks a lot, ya buncha enabling knuckleheads.
Not me  :angel:
SAW

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: April 19, 2014, 01:49:44 AM

I do think that Vic nailed it with the outside nail nick tools. I'd love to see LM adopt that on the Rebar.

Nah, t'weren't you. We both know you'd never carry that boat anchor around.

I'll try to leave it be. I want a Wave with the new cutters first anyway. No need for a Surge I won't carry. Already got one of those.

And I still need a PSTII.
G

us Offline sawman

Reply #35 on: April 19, 2014, 01:51:23 AM
I wonder if LM will ever add the new pliers to the Wave/Charge. What are they waiting for? It's working out fine on the Rebar...
SAW

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: April 19, 2014, 01:57:04 AM
I wonder if LM will ever add the new pliers to the Wave/Charge. What are they waiting for? It's working out fine on the Rebar...

Exactly. That's what I mean. I'll buy a new Surge after I get a new new Wave with the Rebar pliers head.

I wonder about the hold up myself. Obviously it would involve some not so minor changes to the Wave design. But if I can get the new pliers and an awl on there, hmm.. That might be a contender for EDC. Or I'll just swap that and the Rebar from belt to bag and carry both.
G

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #37 on: April 19, 2014, 02:01:10 AM

I think it could be very possible to see them do that.  Maybe once they start to exhaust the supply of plier heads they have, they'll bring out a new version.  Fingers crossed that they do. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

us Offline sawman

Reply #38 on: April 19, 2014, 02:09:29 AM

I think it could be very possible to see them do that.  Maybe once they start to exhaust the supply of plier heads they have, they'll bring out a new version.  Fingers crossed that they do. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Let's hope that's the main reason, that they're trying to exhaust current supply. I wonder how many of those they have made up at a time...
SAW

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #39 on: April 19, 2014, 02:36:25 AM

Do you mean me? :)

live from Nate's mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline stealth007s

• I don't LIKE anything!i!¡!¡!¡!
Reply #40 on: April 19, 2014, 07:00:02 AM

live from Nate's mobile

But you're so good at it :rofl:
Dear Leatherman......................

Terry

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: April 19, 2014, 07:44:00 AM

live from Nate's mobile

Your pic of the black oxide Surge didn't help, that's for sure. Nice shot.

If the new Surge was Wave sized, I'd have three by now.
G

us Offline Dale

Reply #42 on: April 19, 2014, 12:35:47 PM
Surge , nuff said. . . :whistle:

I'm thinking of the immortal words of Socrates.. He said.. " I drank what?"

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #43 on: December 16, 2018, 04:29:33 PM
I agree the PST is totally a capable tool even with all the newer tools being produced.  I'm carrying my Japanese PST for off day carry while many modern tools I have are sitting on the bench.  I recently got a Flair and yes what a wonderfully fun tool this is.  Tim must have had a few or was at a BBQ and had an "Aha" moment.

The Spirit is a lovely tool as well though it's bigger brother the Swisstool gets my pick.  My only criticism with the Spirit is also with the scissors.  I expected them to be more like the ones on the 91mm or honestly I expected them to be superior.  They work but they aren't better or superior than the 91mm which bummed me out a bit.  I really like the Swisstool for a work day tool as the bluntish pliers suits my needs very well.  This tool was not meant to sit on shelf even though it highly polished body suggest otherwise.   I do miss the OHO of LM so sadly it takes a back seat to my Surge.   

The Wave is an excellent tool in nearly all ways and mine has seen its share of workday and off day use.  When adding the bit kit and extender you have a little tool box of capabilities.  Honorable mention goes to my Juice S2.  This little plier based tool inspires confidence when I want to have something on me and don't want to carry my Wave.  I don't have a Crunch, Rebar (I have a gold safe queen), or M600 so not much to say.

My SAK picks have to be my Swisschamp, Deluxe Tinker, Wenger Tradesman, MiniChamp, and an honorable mention goes to my new Manager.  I love the little pliers on my SAKs and the pens on my SC and 58's.  I guess when its all said and done my choices are as follows;
Surge
Swisstool
Wave
PST
S2

Swisschamp
Deluxe Tinker
Tradesman
Minichamp 2
Manager

Yes I had to dig this up.  Looking over my choices some has changed while other have been bumped up in the list. 

MTs

Charge TTi.
Surge.
Skeletool CX.
Modded Wave.  Dedicated coffee table MT. 
Spirit.  Despite my continued grumblings about the scissors.
Swisstool.  Dedicated garage MT.
Juice CS4 og version.     

SAKs
Manager.  Its been my constant companion with no lapses in carry time.
Salesman.  While newer carry for me it ticks a lot of boxes. 
Explorer.
Deluxe Tinker.  Work carry SAK.
Wenger PTC.  Still trying to find the right balance with this tool. 

Anyone else have changes or have things remained the same?   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: December 16, 2018, 07:39:05 PM
I was never in on the first go round and only have two on the list but I will say that any list of Bests that includes the Crunch gets a big  :tu: from me.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #45 on: December 16, 2018, 08:50:28 PM
My list  :tu:

Large

Supertool 300
Surge

Medium

Blast
Pulse
PST
Rebar

Small

Micra
Farmer
Executive

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: December 16, 2018, 10:11:57 PM
I also was not in the original thread, I'm surprised at how quickly it petered out.

My thoughts:

Spirit: The classiest and sexiest of all the Mts, it also has great fit and finish, and a good tool load out in a slim frame with all external tools.

Wave: A great tool box especially when paired with the full flat bit set.  A combination of outside OHO and internal tools.  One of the few times that Leatherman (or anyone) has beaten the Victorinox scissors (at least on the Spirit).

Squirt PS4: Ounce for ounce this is one of the best and most capable tools you can find.  And the pliers are small, but real pliers.

Classic/Rambler: As the name implies, classic.  Another little tool that punches above its weight.  Others have already sung its praise.

Compact: Like all the others in my list, great functionality in a compact package: knife, scissors (best of my list), combo tool, hook with nail file, corkscrew, toothpick, tweezers, pen, eye glass scissors and straight pin.  Great companion for a full size MT like a Rebar or Supertool.

Pocket Toolchest: Again, lots of capabilities in a small lightweight package.

All of these have two things in common: scissors and an exceptional tool load to size/weight ratio.
- Steve

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #47 on: December 16, 2018, 11:29:42 PM
Yes.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #48 on: December 17, 2018, 12:01:06 AM
Nice Steve and smiller  :salute:

@ theonew I like the Crunch well enough it just doesn't get carry enough to make my list, shame actually.     
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #49 on: December 17, 2018, 01:33:21 AM
Nice Steve and smiller  :salute:

@ theonew I like the Crunch well enough it just doesn't get carry enough to make my list, shame actually.   

Same with me and the Crunch :facepalm: Good topic and I missed out the first go round as well :ahhh So I need to give a bit of thought to this as well :think:

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: December 17, 2018, 02:22:24 AM
I don't EDC the Crunch but if I'm carrying some sort of bag with me, it usually goes along for the ride. It has saved the day for me so many times when a regular pair of pliers wouldn't have, that it is definitely in my top 5.

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: December 17, 2018, 02:57:31 AM
Looking back I can't believe I left out the Pioneer X.  Alox and scissors, need I say more?
- Steve

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #52 on: December 17, 2018, 04:46:17 AM
For almost 50 years my multitool has been the Vic Champion then when I lost it the SwissChamp. That was my only multitool, if it could not do the job it was time to haul out the toolbox.  :hatsoff:
Shoot low sheriff, they're riddin' shetlands
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck
I would like to apologise to anyone I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you shortly.
Just a small personal observation.  ...........I would not be at all surprised that when God created the Earth & the heavens, that the SwissChamp was the tool he used. .............. :hatsoff:

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #53 on: December 17, 2018, 11:58:35 AM
With the exceedingly great thumbs up for the PST, I am surprised the SideClip didn't make it on any lists. I know the tool count is low, but it is fantastically thin with great pliers and a nice pocket clip.

A lot of great opinions in this old thread. I would need a lot more time to create a culled list of favorites, but feel the SOG PowerPlier, LM SideClip, LM Blast, ST1 ToughTool, Gerber Multi-Plier(Pinchy), and several other would be considered with many on the lists here.
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

de Offline Shuya

Reply #54 on: December 17, 2018, 01:04:37 PM
Best Multitool ever?

Hands down, the Soldier/BSA Type of Knife.
Generations of Scouts, Soldiers and other people survived the day and did achieve great stuff with just these two layered tools.
Sure, it lacks pliers and other stuff people may need, but its pure basic, pure efficiency in your pocket for daily carry.  :hatsoff:

Other than that, I really love the 4 layered tools with saw and scissors (Huntsman or Fieldmaster or the bigger Outrider). So much can be done with them in the woods, on the trail.

Plierwise I am not into one specific tool. Respect the old, pure designs (PST, ST), but love the ergonomics of the swiss tools.

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #55 on: December 22, 2018, 05:39:01 AM
Vic Spirit gets my vote. Everything about it just clicks together for me..!  :salute:
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #56 on: December 22, 2018, 04:37:43 PM
Well, if we're including SAKs, then I have to say I think the best is the pioneer. Perfect pocketability, excellent ergos for a SAK (especially with the keyring removed) and enough tools to see you out of most jams without needing to hit the toolbox. And unlike pliers based multis, it's small and light enough to be a true edc, at least for me.

If SAKs aren't allowed, I'd have to go with the spirit. My pliers based experience is with the PST, original Gerber multiplier, blast, wave, rebar, swisstool and spirit. Unfortunately every LM I've tried has been a nail breaker to access most if not all internal tools. I also found the swisstool to be overly large for what I typically need. I did like the Gerber, but prefer the spirit. The spirit is well made and so far has survived all I've thrown at it. But the biggest thing for me is that I can deploy each and every tool without issue. If I had a need for OHO, I honestly don't know what I'd choose if I had to have the OHO blade on the multitool. Right now, there aren't any I like :dunno:
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #57 on: December 24, 2018, 06:08:41 PM
Great thread idea.

Best plier MT has to be the Spirit.

Outside opening tools is a game changer imo. Build quality and easy to get at and open tools is great. Didn’t know how much I disliked tool clumping until I didn’t have to deal with it anymore.

Size to number of tools that I actually use is amazing.

Only issue is the scissors are not prefect. Useable but not the regular style SAK scissors they could be.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 06:21:02 PM by HarleyXJGuy »

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #58 on: December 24, 2018, 06:12:58 PM
Good to have you back Harley !   :cheers:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #59 on: December 24, 2018, 06:26:21 PM
MT wise the Spirit is probably gonna be in most users top 10.  I've discovered that mine with extended use need to be cleaned a lot more than I initially realized.  In the dirty work environments I'm in the tools will clump and that wonderful perfection is a minus.  My Spirit does not like to be dirty.  The precision and tolerances are wonderful and the feel is superb.  Get some dirt or sand or anything that can work its way into the close tolerances and theres a problem.  The gaps and looser tolerance doesn't inspire confidence when "comparing" other MTs in hand but for me in hand and in my use are very difference experiences. 

I carry my Spirit more than I used to for work.  My Charge TTi is on my work tool belt full time.  My Spirit is on my pants belt.  Both get used multiple times per day.  Both perform flawlessly.  Give up my Spirit?  Yeah, no way.  Just my personal experiences. 
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD