Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Electrician's Bear Jaw's Parts

us Offline gafftapegreenia

• No Life Club
Electrician's Bear Jaw's Parts
on: June 10, 2008, 06:32:16 AM
Hey everybody, I recently purchased the Electrician's Bear Jaw's, and as much as I am impressed with the stripping head and overall construction/quality of the tool, there are a few things I would like to change/modify.

The tool came with a serrated blade and a combo straight/serrated blade. I would like to change the straight/serrated blade to a full straight blade.

Second, compared to the pictures I've seen online, my philips head was poorly cast/machined, again, I would like remedy this.

Finally, my file blade. While I love how big the file is, the blade itself is slightly twisted.

I bought this tool from McMaster-Carr. Should I try contacting Bear & Son and see what they say/if they have spare parts?
Fan of the Leatherman mini-bit driver and the Vic backspring philips.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Electrician's Bear Jaw's Parts
Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 09:45:09 AM
Welcome to the forum mate :)

I'd be inclinde to contact the manufacturer first and see what they do regarding spares. The blade could be turned into a straight edge with a bit of work on a stone, but your gona loose a lot of steel in the process :-\

As for the file, you could try to straighten it slowly in a vise, but it could easily shatter coz of the higher rockwell :o, so I definatly think tool replacement would be best there, if the file's not useable as it is.
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 05:10:54 PM
I think that is what I will do.

The file isn't such an issue, it's just a little tougher to unfold from the handle. The bigger issue is the poorly machined philips head.

Offline Biru

Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 06:20:47 PM
Gaff:

I've used Bear for longer than any other brand though I've since gone to other brands, and you can order parts directly from them. Their Phillips is a bit weird because they flat the tip and its shaft is a bit too wide, taking up several blade widths. Still, mine (Electrician included) have been good work tools. One good thing about Bear is that they sell replacement parts and the parts are easily replaced.

Good Luck, Bill.

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 07:12:46 PM
Thanks. I'll be contacting Bear shortly. I am really impressed with how SOLID the Bear Jaws feel, and strippers can compare directly in both machining and sharpness to the Klein strippers I own. I would think pricing is reasonable?

Offline Biru

Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 12:25:39 AM
Bear's parts are very reasonable, at least I thought so. I think the saw cost about $5 US, the knife about $3.5 to $4 US (I can't recall exactly, I purchased from them about 3 or 4 times). I used the Electrician on sound gigs and it never failed me. For some reason, my Electrician is better finished than my Bear 155L, their standard tool. My major complaint is that the Phillips doesn't fit smaller screws because of the blunting. I just carried an electronic tech's small Phillips for that. The outside-available tools spoil you a bit when you have to go to a Leatherman/SOG inside-opening tool. I've always had a soft spot for Bear, don't know just why. Good Luck, Bill.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 03:31:14 AM
I just recently ordered and received a replacement Bear saw blade for a member overseas. Price was reasonable, although the service was a little slow. I would call them if I were you.

Bear & Son Cutlery.......256-435-2227
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 03:41:21 AM
Next question: What method would you suggest for tightening up the jaws on the Electrician's model, mine have a little more play that I would prefer.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 03:49:38 AM
Next question: What method would you suggest for tightening up the jaws on the Electrician's model, mine have a little more play that I would prefer.

Never tried it. Can you just use a screwdriver?

* pivot.jpg (Filesize: 59.64 KB)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 04:05:36 AM
I tried using just a screwdriver, but the entire screwdriver/washer assembly just turns. Maybe it's just my eyes, but your screw seems to be a bit recessed, where mine actually protrudes.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 04:12:47 AM
Yep, the screw in mine is recessed, allowing a screwdriver to be used on both sides of the pivot.

I dunno...maybe take yours all the way apart and shorten the screw up a little? :-\

Offline Biru

Reply #11 on: June 11, 2008, 04:27:51 AM
Perhaps another solution, and one which would not affect your Bear's warranty, would be to get an inexpensive screwdriver and cut a channel in the blade using a Dremel or a small file. The channel would span the screw protrusion. Another solution might be to use a pair of needlenose pliers to span the gap and fit into the screw recesses. You must be careful using the pliers as their jaw tips may slip. I've had to create tools to do this sort of thing over the years for some makes of guitars and amplifiers. I'll check my Bear and see. The cutter blades were pretty tight as I recall, but I can't remember how far the screw protruded.

Anyway, just pondering. Good Luck, Bill.

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: June 11, 2008, 04:41:02 AM
Interesting stuff. I like the notched screwdriver idea, it seems like my best bet. However, I may attempt to shorten the screw, as it currently protrudes so far that  the tool will actually not close completely.

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: June 11, 2008, 04:59:42 AM
Some pictures of the protruding screw and the rough philips head.

* philipsclose.jpg (Filesize: 37.22 KB)

* screwclose.jpg (Filesize: 98.85 KB)

Offline Biru

Reply #14 on: June 11, 2008, 05:25:44 AM
That Phillips looks a bit rough compared to the Bears I have, but I'll be the first to admit that Bear's production control seems a bit hit and miss at times. Two of my Bears have tools which stop with a slight backward tilt (in other words, the opened tools don't extend in the same plane as the handles, but tilt slightly upward). I know I've pointed this out ad nauseum, but I think it's part of what interests me about Bear. I have other Bears that are spot on  excellent. I truly love their handle design, especially when using the pliers (I think it's the best feeling design out there). I think my screw doesn't extend quite that far. Just wondering, how are you planning on shortening the screw without damaging the thread?

Regards, Bill.

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: June 11, 2008, 05:35:06 AM
While I'm a bit disappointed my first Bear must be from one of those "miss" periods of production (as opposed to the "hit"), by no means am I giving up on Bear. I really really like how this tool feels.

I'm calling Bear tomorrow to get the parts I want(philips, file, straight knife), and I'm going to ask them about the protruding screw. Maybe they can send me a shorter screw? I'll know tomorrow.

Offline Biru

Reply #16 on: June 11, 2008, 06:42:23 PM
I'm the same way. I've been a bit bugged by the two Bears that are off, but I decided to use them as my everyday workhorses and I keep the three good ones for my collection. Bear really should rectify the screw and Phillips. I've never used their warranty, so I don't know how they are in that respect. Every time I ordered parts (all included saw blades), they sent me a saw blade for the Super Bear Jaws instead of the standard. Fortunately, I was able to cut them down. If it's not being too presumptuous, if you can't get a screw, I can offer a technique I've used to cut screws down usually without damaging the threads. Good Luck on the parts, Bill.

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: June 11, 2008, 10:20:39 PM
Well I called Bear and apparently policy  has changed since you last talked to them.

They said that since I bought the tool through McMaster-Carr, I will have to send it back to McMaster, who will then send it back to Bear, and then get it repaired there. Oh boy, let me count the ways this can get messed up. Then I asked if instead of sending it for repair, I could just buy the parts I want. Nope. They will not sell parts directly to the customer. Grrrrr

Reply #18 on: June 11, 2008, 10:22:26 PM
Well I called Bear and apparently policy  has changed since you last talked to them.

They said that since I bought the tool through McMaster-Carr, I will have to send it back to McMaster, who will then send it back to Bear, and then get it repaired there. Oh boy, let me count the ways this can get messed up. Then I asked if instead of sending it for repair, I could just buy the parts I want. Nope. They will not sell parts directly to the customer. Grrrrr
Well thats a total PITA :(

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: June 12, 2008, 01:44:53 AM
Ouch. That is most disappointing to hear. If a company produces a defective product, they ought to go to any length that is required to make it right.  :(

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: June 12, 2008, 03:36:38 AM
Well, I just received an email back from Bear saying they did not fully understand my problems. I sent them back a lengthy and in-depth email, including the same pictures seen here. The good news is they said that I AM ABLE to send the tool directly to them for repair. Hopefully I'll know more soon.

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: June 12, 2008, 05:08:30 AM
UPDATE: Just received an email back. They said the woman I spoke with was uninformed, and if I send in the tool they will take care of everything. I'm in a much better mood now.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: June 12, 2008, 05:39:39 AM
UPDATE: Just received an email back. They said the woman I spoke with was uninformed, and if I send in the tool they will take care of everything. I'm in a much better mood now.

Me too. :)   Please keep us updated.

Reply #23 on: June 12, 2008, 09:07:06 AM
Glad to hear it mate :)

Offline Biru

Reply #24 on: June 12, 2008, 11:53:49 PM
Man, I'm glad to hear that. I haven't dealt with Bear since they reformed from their previous association with Victorinox. When you posted, I thought that they were trying to give away what little business they do with multitools (after all, how many people do you know who carry Bear compared to Gerber, Leatherman et al ?). When I ordered from them, they weren't exactly the most on the ball lot I'd ever dealt with, but they weren't jerks, either. I'm glad to know they're trying to help you. The guys I got my Bears from are no longer in business, so if that was their policy, I'm in trouble. Most of the time, if I can get the parts, I'd rather pay for them and replace them myself and bypass the warranty. I hope they will change their mind regarding parts sales.

Glad you're okay, Bill.

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: June 13, 2008, 02:07:31 AM
Bear has a "contact us" box on their website which they respond to in a quick and timely manner. The person that has been helping me out with my tool issues has been very understanding and has, for me at least, been a good representation of customer service at Bear. The final test will be to see how well they repaired my Bear when it gets back to me.

Still don't know if they will actually sell you parts, I'll try to find that out, or one of you can. He did say that they stopped making full straight blades for their multi's and have been supplying the combo blades for about the past five years.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #26 on: June 13, 2008, 11:57:20 AM
Are there any pics of this somewhere?  I am intrigued to see what it looks like.
I'm back!!

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #27 on: June 13, 2008, 07:44:33 PM
How long has Bear been manufacturing multitools?  ???
B

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #28 on: June 14, 2008, 05:38:18 AM
Are there any pics of this somewhere?  I am intrigued to see what it looks like.

Pictures of what Ben? ???

How long has Bear been manufacturing multitools?  ???

The original BearJaws patent was applied for in early 1996. Must have been right around then sometime. :-\

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #29 on: June 14, 2008, 01:13:59 PM

Pictures of what Ben? ???

The electricians Bear jaws.
I'm back!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31