Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Spyderco Delica or Byrd Crow?

Offline cosine

Spyderco Delica or Byrd Crow?
on: June 12, 2008, 05:35:40 PM
I can't decide. The Delica has the better blade steel and is lighter (I like FRN for being lightweight), while the Crow is slightly smaller overall (which isn't undesirable), has a finger choil on the blade (which I really like), and is less expensive.

Does anyone have any pics of the Delica or the Crow in hand, and also clipped in pocket? The one that rides lower in the pocket might be the one I'll get. 

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Spyderco Delica or Byrd Crow?
Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 07:09:08 PM
If you want finger choil, look at s30v native from walmart, about same size as delica, $40. But personally I'd pick delica, byrd quality is great in that price range but delica is better.

Offline cosine

Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 07:14:36 PM
I have a Native already, I need something with a blade length of less than 3".

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 07:37:19 PM
I think I'd go with the Delica, but that is probably me just being a snob.
I'm back!!

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 10:19:21 PM
I edc'd a Delica 10 years ago with no problem's, so that's where my money would go :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 10:52:35 PM
I can't decide. The Delica has the better blade steel and is lighter (I like FRN for being lightweight), while the Crow is slightly smaller overall (which isn't undesirable), has a finger choil on the blade (which I really like), and is less expensive.

Does anyone have any pics of the Delica or the Crow in hand, and also clipped in pocket? The one that rides lower in the pocket might be the one I'll get. 

Sorry - don't own either knife and can't help with pics.

I do own a Byrd Cara Cara G10, which I think makes a nice EDC-beater knife.  By 'beater' I mean a capable knife, but also inexpensive enough so that if it were lost, stolen, or broken it's not that big of a deal.

Very rugged knife for 25 bucks and it holds an edge well enough for me.  I also like its ergonomic design.  Its finger choil works great for 'choking up' on the blade for finer control.  If the lock on the Cara Cara were to fail - when held in a normal grip - the blade could swing toward the fingers, but would be stopped by the choil coming up against the index finger.  Almost a failsafe design.

The Crow and Raven also look like nice beater knives for not a whole lot of money and I may pick those up too.

N

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 02:30:57 AM
I've heard the Byrd line is an outstanding value. Darn near as good(not quite though) as a Spydie but a lot cheaper. If I ever get back into carrying a single blade lockback knife I may very well buy a Byrd Meadowlark or Byrd Robin. Either way you can't go wrong.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

Offline crls1

• I do Exist!!!!
Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 03:37:39 AM
Sorry, no byrd crow, but hope the pictures help you take a decision.

Carlos
(

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #8 on: June 13, 2008, 06:16:58 AM
I've heard the Byrd line is an outstanding value. Darn near as good(not quite though) as a Spydie but a lot cheaper. If I ever get back into carrying a single blade lockback knife I may very well buy a Byrd Meadowlark or Byrd Robin. Either way you can't go wrong.

I'd say that Byrd is a good value if what you are after is a no nonsense working knife.

Byrds seem very tough and durable for their price.

However, after examining several Byrds I'd say they have mediocre fit and finish - nowhere near as good as the average Spyderco.  Not bad fit and finish for their price range, but I've seen better in similarly priced knives from other makers.

If fit and finish are important to you, I'd skip the Byrds and stay with Spyderco.

N

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD