Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Lets look at Bear & Son Cutlery.

Chako · 68 · 10796

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Re: Lets look at Bear & Son Cutlery.
Reply #30 on: January 04, 2015, 03:32:11 AM
This Blue Point multitool looks like it might have been made by Bear & Son Cutlery and the ebay seller claims it was made in USA.  It has a corkscrew which I've not seen before on other Bear & Son tools.
I think I have seen this particular tool (with corkscrew) for sale with various brands on it (including "Schrade Tough").  While seeming reasonably robust in hand it doesn't seem to be quite the quality of genuine Bear Jaws MTs.  I'm sure if it was really made in the USA that fact would be featured prominently somewhere on the tool.

Here is a "Schrade Tough" version currently offered on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131394998951

And also a "Cornwell Tools" version:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331435398801
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 03:44:28 AM by gregozedobe »
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #31 on: January 04, 2015, 04:24:59 AM
The quality (fit and finish) of the Crescent ToolZalls is very good.  Love them.

In contrast, the "new/old stock" non-locking Super Bear Jaws I acquired recently needed tweaking and filing to get it into shape. 

The handles were askew.    A screwdriver tip was uneven.

The knife blade required far too much force to open and close (dangerous).    The grinding on the ends of each individual tool was uneven.

Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #32 on: January 04, 2015, 04:28:37 AM
Here is a "Schrade Tough" version currently offered on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131394998951

And also a "Cornwell Tools" version:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331435398801

Yeppers.    I saw those.  Thanks. 

You were probably correct about the country of origin.  The "legit" Bear and Sons manufactured tools have been marked USA.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: March 26, 2016, 11:46:44 PM
This thread is great.really good read. Thanks for the time out into this
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #34 on: March 27, 2016, 03:38:24 AM
Thanks for bringing this thread back from the grave
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: March 27, 2016, 03:46:54 AM
I spent a good part of the day trying to find more info on the bear jaws series. This and one other thread on this site is really all I could find. No videos, articles, reviews. Nothing
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: March 27, 2016, 04:15:45 AM
I spent a good part of the day trying to find more info on the bear jaws series. This and one other thread on this site is really all I could find. No videos, articles, reviews. Nothing
I know, it really is a shame, their tools are quite interesting. Ive been on the looking on and off for a cheap Bear Jaws Gardener for a while now, mostly as a result of one of the other Bear and Son threads

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: March 27, 2016, 04:24:06 AM
I'm taking a look into the super jaws. I wouldn't mind an older one without the protruding locks. I really like the blunt nose pliers. And if Victorinox was willing to buy a company just to "borrow" their patent, then I want to check it out.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #38 on: March 27, 2016, 04:59:12 AM
I agree. There isn't much info out there sometimes..which is why I try to make posts like this.

When I joined, there was very little in terms of multi-tool imagery. Now whenever I do some research on some tool or other, I am often confronted with my own photographs in online searches. Actually, it is amazing at where my photos turn up, quite often stolen and used by other web sites and companies.  :facepalm:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: March 27, 2016, 05:10:02 AM
I agree. There isn't much info out there sometimes..which is why I try to make posts like this.

When I joined, there was very little in terms of multi-tool imagery. Now whenever I do some research on some tool or other, I am often confronted with my own photographs in online searches. Actually, it is amazing at where my photos turn up, quite often stolen and used by other web sites and companies.  :facepalm:
We all know the truth. At least you have digital records that can confirm you are the originator. I personally enjoy your write-ups. Grateful for the time you take to put them up. :hatsoff:  hopefully we all can make contributions to this site (big or small) that can make an impact

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #40 on: March 27, 2016, 07:10:35 AM
Yikes, I did the "Lets look at" series back in 2014...man does time fly.

nl Offline anditsgone

Reply #41 on: March 27, 2016, 12:50:50 PM
Thanks for letting me know about a brand that i have never seen before. I like the PST style simple look.
But i will stick with my swisstool x due to the lock and better scissors.

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #42 on: March 29, 2016, 09:08:02 AM

Hey Chako,

It's great to know that your amazing work is appreciated beyond this forum.  :D

But mixed emotions I guess:
- Pride, hapiness and contentment that your photos are being appreciated  :)
- Anger and p1ssedoffness that people are stealing them  >:(

But they do say plaigiarism is the greatest form of flattery.

By a strange coincidence I was looking into Bear tools only today - And their website is woefully inadequate in describing their multis compared to this thread. 
Same experience for Vic Swisstool last year - Their website information was a little better - But still lacking compared to "Let's Look" - which clarified and answered my query ...........   :(

Chako's info in MTo is the best on the web!! :tu:

Keep up the great work Chako!!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #43 on: March 29, 2016, 05:22:28 PM
Er...thanks.  ;)

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #44 on: March 31, 2016, 12:49:49 AM
 :nothingtoadd:

se Offline Mr Biriyani

Reply #45 on: March 31, 2016, 02:58:44 PM
Thanks Chako. Nice write-up, as usual. :cheers:
One thing that always puzzled me since I found a early non locking Bear Jaws some years ago.
When folded the back end so to speak doesn´t line up flat. The front does almost but the back differ around 4 mm.
Making it a little v- shaped.
Is this  normal for the old version or is it just mine.
bearj.jpg
* bearj.jpg (Filesize: 305.54 KB)

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #46 on: March 31, 2016, 04:34:59 PM
... When folded the back end so to speak doesn´t line up flat. The front does almost but the back differ around 4 mm. Making it a little v- shaped. Is this  normal for the old version or is it just mine.

Same handle geometry on my Crescent ToolZall Pro, made by Bear.

se Offline Mr Biriyani

Reply #47 on: March 31, 2016, 11:53:58 PM
Thanks Parnass,  That´s probably the answer then: they were made that way it´s like the plierhead is to big for nesteling in the handles.

us Offline Wanimator

Reply #48 on: April 04, 2016, 03:32:43 AM
I know somebody that daily carries a Craftsman one.

us Offline cody6268

Reply #49 on: April 05, 2016, 06:47:28 PM
I remember reading an article a while back that mentioned that Crescent got sued by Leatherman over their PST-clone Toolzall because it was too similar. 

I've got a Bear Gardener (bought used for $20) on the way as a birthday gift for my grandmother (who isn't a big fan of multitools at all), and since her birthday is still a little over a week away, I plan to try it out a little before giving it to her.   The one thing that bugs me is the weeder (or grafting tool as the seller put it).  It's too darn small for the serious weeding that requires tedious hoeing in the garden, and I'd be all week (or month!) trying to weed it with that tiny tool.   It would have made more sense had they put a Phillips in its place.  As for regularly carrying one myself, all I want is the Electrician (since no other maker has actually made a good large multitool with a stripper head), or Mini Bear Jaws. 

Curious, what parts did Bear and Son make for Leatherman?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 06:52:28 PM by cody6268 »

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: April 05, 2016, 07:56:49 PM
I remember reading an article a while back that mentioned that Crescent got sued by Leatherman over their PST-clone Toolzall because it was too similar. 

I've got a Bear Gardener (bought used for $20) on the way as a birthday gift for my grandmother (who isn't a big fan of multitools at all), and since her birthday is still a little over a week away, I plan to try it out a little before giving it to her.   The one thing that bugs me is the weeder (or grafting tool as the seller put it).  It's too darn small for the serious weeding that requires tedious hoeing in the garden, and I'd be all week (or month!) trying to weed it with that tiny tool.   It would have made more sense had they put a Phillips in its place.  As for regularly carrying one myself, all I want is the Electrician (since no other maker has actually made a good large multitool with a stripper head), or Mini Bear Jaws. 

Curious, what parts did Bear and Son make for Leatherman?
where did you find the Gardener at?

us Offline cody6268

Reply #51 on: April 05, 2016, 10:22:37 PM
Ebay.  The seller had it listed for a couple weeks at $30, and since I had been watching the listing,I was informed they had relisted it at $20, and immediately bought it. 
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 10:25:50 PM by cody6268 »

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #52 on: April 05, 2016, 11:02:20 PM
No chance he has another, right?

us Offline cody6268

Reply #53 on: April 05, 2016, 11:32:24 PM
No chance he has another, right?

No.  Only other knives the seller had were a lot of two beat up Camillus Scout knives and a TL-29.   

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #54 on: April 06, 2016, 03:22:05 AM
....  all I want is the Electrician (since no other maker has actually made a good large multitool with a stripper head), or Mini Bear Jaws. 

What don't you like about the Paladin PT-540 ? (besides it's high price and rarity).  It is certainly LARGE and has a stripper head.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=18777.0

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=3146.0
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #55 on: April 06, 2016, 03:43:57 AM
Awesome read, excellent photos. Thanks so much.
It looks like Bear & Son could have their own section in the forum.
I'm going to try and get at least one for my collection. They look sweet.  :drool:

us Offline cody6268

Reply #56 on: April 06, 2016, 02:01:06 PM
....  all I want is the Electrician (since no other maker has actually made a good large multitool with a stripper head), or Mini Bear Jaws. 

What don't you like about the Paladin PT-540 ? (besides it's high price and rarity).  It is certainly LARGE and has a stripper head.

Had forgotten about that one.  Maybe I'll find one of those cheaply at the flea market.

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #57 on: April 07, 2016, 01:18:10 AM

Had forgotten about that one.  Maybe I'll find one of those cheaply at the flea market.

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl: (unless you do, then it will be all    :o  :salute:  :salute:  :salute:  :tu:  :tu:  :tu:  )

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #58 on: April 17, 2016, 09:39:15 PM
I got a Super Jaws on the way. I read on multiwiki that the inner tools could be swapped out. Is that true? Where can I get parts from? The one I ordered doesn't have a saw and I wouldn't mind putting on in.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #59 on: April 28, 2017, 05:12:15 PM
Awesome read, excellent photos. Thanks so much.
It looks like Bear & Son could have their own section in the forum.
I'm going to try and get at least one for my collection. They look sweet.  :drool:

:cheers: and bump.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD