Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My complete lack of faith in the Dime vindicated.

PTRSAK · 23 · 2207

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
on: June 04, 2014, 04:28:41 AM
Not even squeezing hard...

That's a very non springy spring.
Damn POS

us Offline colt 1911

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 05:07:10 AM
That sucks, Damn POS, SOB, POC !!

Sak's  rule !
CHEERS

00 Offline AaronX

Re: My complete lack of faith in the Dime vindicated.
Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 06:11:21 AM
I've seen that happen too often, but how does that happen? The spring shouldn't bear the load when you're closing the pliers, should it?

nz Offline RimfireNZ

Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 07:41:34 AM
Wow that's impressive. I've cranked down pretty hard on mine doing some bullet pulling (for testing the pliers) and both the Dime and Squirt came out just fine out of it... and I DID have to squeeze hard.

At least Gerber have a lifetime warranty right?

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 09:54:13 AM

I had a quick look on the Australian (section?) Gerber website and when you eventually find the warranty information it says
Q. I do not live in the United States. Is there a place I can return my Gerber for warranty repair?

A. Currently, we are only completing repairs at our main factory in Portland, Oregon. Please refer to our warranty section for warranty coverage and the address to return the product.

Not much use to me, postage would be more than the crappy thing cost in the first place.
They may as well tell me to send it to the ISS for repair.

Oh well, at least it's dead now and I don't have to try using the horrid thing ever again.

but I will NEVER EVER buy another Gerber product as long as I live.

nz Offline RimfireNZ

Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 10:34:15 AM

I had a quick look on the Australian (section?) Gerber website and when you eventually find the warranty information it says
Q. I do not live in the United States. Is there a place I can return my Gerber for warranty repair?

A. Currently, we are only completing repairs at our main factory in Portland, Oregon. Please refer to our warranty section for warranty coverage and the address to return the product.

Not much use to me, postage would be more than the crappy thing cost in the first place.
They may as well tell me to send it to the ISS for repair.

Oh well, at least it's dead now and I don't have to try using the horrid thing ever again.

At least Leatherman have distributors all over the world that handle warranties. Better get a squirt PS4 huh? :D

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 12:41:32 PM

So... -Not- going to try the MP-series? :pok:
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 02:12:29 PM

So... -Not- going to try the MP-series? :pok:

While I can understand why soemone would feel bad about some of the newer Gerbers, I´d say every MT enthusiast should at least try out a MP 600/400 series tool - Gerber should make all their tools to their standards of robustness. I can live without fancy anodized scales on my MT, but I need it to work, everyday. I have yet to be let down by my Gerber (Multiplier since `96, MP 600 since some time later).

Go on, you want one...  :pok:
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 03:05:01 PM by lowtech »

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 02:48:49 PM

Ya thats exactly how I feel.  Its why my MT collection has no gerbers in it.  Tried 3, sold 3, never looking back.  I will say though that the MP series is their best offering.  My main complain with those was design really.  I just am not a fan of the sliding pliers.  Tried the leatherman OHT one too and didnt like that.  The MP series though is about what 5% of the tools they make.  The rest is just bad and some dangerously so.  The gerber machetes breaking off at the handles etc. 

The gerber 'brand' has just earned a deservedly bad rep for me and the associated with bear tools its just screams we dont care any more about what we produce.  Make it cheap, pump it out and let the warranty dept be the catch all for issues.

Now I tend to be an overly opinionated smurfhole at times, so to each their own.  :D  Ive always had strong love or hate feelings for most things in life, never in the middle. 
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline VictorLouis

Reply #9 on: June 05, 2014, 12:37:51 AM
The Dime is on my list. Could you explain for those like me that can't see what you feel is obvious?
What exactly is wrong?  ???

us Offline Luna Knife

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: June 05, 2014, 01:20:17 AM
I swore off the gerber brand when in 1996 I was a friend break a plier head on a Gerber MT performing a very mundane task

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #11 on: June 05, 2014, 02:50:50 AM
I think the EAB is nice and that's the only gerber I am willing to buy.

666th post, very evil.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #12 on: June 05, 2014, 04:58:14 AM
The Dime is on my list. Could you explain for those like me that can't see what you feel is obvious?

Let me just chime in that if you want a Dime, you should get one.  They aren't spendy, and it seems that most people seem to have decent luck with them - though not everyone.  I have 3x of them that have stood up just fine with moderate usage.  They aren't exactly up to the same design and build quality of the PS4, but they are about 1/3 cheaper too.  So maybe get one and decide for yourself.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: June 05, 2014, 07:42:16 AM

I have one and it has seen moderate and regular use.  I bought it based on this

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,48186.msg808609.html#msg808609

The Dime has earned a spot in my go to tools and so far I have small complaints.  The blade on mine was miserably dull and the other complaints are the stubby tools.  I love the package opener and once the blade was sharpened its quite nice.   

Esse Quam Videri

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: June 05, 2014, 10:01:24 AM

The piece of metal sitting up in an arc on top of the tool is one of the backsprings for the plier head, it should be flat.
When I squeezed the pliers the spring bent and the tool closed up having effectively broken on that side.
A "spring" should not be that soft that it can bend like that, it anything a spring should snap before it bends that far.
Perhaps this problem is just poor QC on the heat treatment, maybe I got one from a bad batch.
For whatever reason, it's doo-do and I hate it.
Right from day one all the tools were nail-breakers and the "wonderful" package opener blade sits so low you can't even get to the nail-nick.
If I had bought this online and not from a major hardware chain I would have believed it was a cheap knockoff.

I WAS going to get a MP600. Have a blunt nose, carbide cutter, BO one in my watch list for $32 BIN, but now I think I will spend that money plus what the postage would be on a PS4. ($45 incl post here in Australia)

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: June 05, 2014, 10:48:37 AM
Here's a better shot of the bent spring.  The other was a crappy phone-cam one.

and here is the misaligned package opener.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #16 on: June 05, 2014, 12:01:24 PM
This was a common problem on the first batch of those. We had quite a few reports of it back then.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,36210.0.html

We'd hoped that they fixed the issue by now. Hopefully yours was from an old batch.

As for warranty, they say repair. How about replace? Do they replace broken tools? Try contacting them through their FB page or official US e-mail.

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: June 05, 2014, 01:17:42 PM
I have completed the "Warranty information" form on the Gerber website and they claim they will contact me within three days, so I guess it's wait and see.

edit...

Actually, I just checked my email and have a autoreply from "Fiskars Australia Customer Service Team" saying they will be in touch.

more news as it comes to hand.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 01:20:59 PM by PTRSAK »

es Offline El Rago

• I shot the sherrif...
Reply #18 on: June 05, 2014, 06:36:15 PM
I live in Spain and I also broke my Dime, the scissor back spring. Since I got it online, the local distributor did not want to honor the warranty. I sent it to the USA, and in about 2 weeks I got a full replacement.

it is true, that it is a bit weak, but for light issues, it is good. I bough it because it was cheap, and it has a plier/scissor combo in a small pack. However, I end up carrying a Skeletool with a minichamp as normal combo when more power is needed. For office duty, it is quite good, specially if your boss cringes at the sight of anything remoteley sharp

(hey, 200th post, not bad for a lurker)

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: June 05, 2014, 10:43:18 PM
I'm hoping that the local distributor can do something because I got the Dime on special for $20 and it would cost me $19 for tracked postage to send it back... not economical in my book.

funny footnote; Having in an earlier post sworn off ever buying another Gerber product I just won an auction I bid on before this happened.
I guess that's just the universe smurfing with me.  :rofl:
Anyway, I now have a quite nice condition MP400 inbound. I hope people are right and the MP series are reasonable. I think I will be keeping it for light duty anyway.

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
  • This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
Reply #20 on: June 05, 2014, 11:15:19 PM
Even if you don't use the MP400, flicking out the pliers, retracting and flicking out again, is quite therapeutic.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: June 06, 2014, 08:24:49 AM
okay, this is looking better, I have now been given an Australian address to send the damaged tool to "postage paid" for warranty assessment. So in spite of what their website says I don't have to post it to Portland.

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: June 13, 2014, 09:52:05 AM
The MP400 arrived...   not bad.   Pliers are a little lighter than I expected, but I guess the 600 is "tougher".
Flicky action is fun, yes. :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41
Below Goal: $168.59
Site Currency: USD