Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Unbelieveable: Caught out without a CS twice in a week

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Having been a long time Vic Huntsman carrier, and SAK corkscrew fan....
- I will never forget being the most popular person a student parties many, many years ago,  in the days when all wine bottles had corks, and I was usually the only person at the party with a CS  8)

..... I have been slowly coming round to the view of many others on this forum - that maybe the Phillips is best.

And now twice in a week I have needed a corkscrew - and what's worse - not had one on me:
  • Saturday - At a friend's house for dinner, and he brings out a wine bottle, with a cork for once (most bottles these days in Oz are screwtop) - All my friends cheered (they know about my SAK affliction), "Get out your Swiss Army Knife" they yelled ..... And what did I have in my pocket - a Vic Fieldmaster - no CS :bnghd:
  • Friday - After work last week - Someone brought in a few bottles of wine for a post work Friday night bevvy - Once again bottles with corks - And I had a Wenger S16 in my pocket - Beautiful SAK BTW - It was the yellow Patagonia one  :D - But again no CS..... ???

Damm, damm damm - I know we all look for occasions to whip out our Multitool/SAK and 'save the day' - And I missed out on two opportunities  :rant:

PS. NB. Syph007 or any other chums - This is not a cue for you to put on your "I hate the corkscrew broken records" !!!  >:D
Oh all right ...... It's a forum ..... If you must - Be my guest  .....
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 09:02:45 AM by Huntsman »

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Re: Unbelieveable: Caught out without a CS twice in a week
Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 08:11:37 AM
Don't you just hate when that happens. I actually missed out on a "save the day" situation with a corkscrew as well.  :twak:
I'm the milk man!

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 08:41:07 AM
I feel for you - we all live for that moment!
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline DMA1965

Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 09:05:29 AM
While I like the inline Philips on my SAK knives, I thoroughly dislike the one in the back. It never seems to work where I need it. I far prefer the corkscrew, which I do find use for frequently in Northern California, and also love that it holds a tiny screwdriver.

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 09:07:12 AM
Ah Thanks - I am feeling the lurve  :D

au Offline DazMechanical

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 11:16:14 AM
 :rofl:

Isn't it ironic that your username is Huntsman but you were carrying a Fieldmaster when if you had carried a Huntsman you would have saved the day!

I realise that you have a Huntsman spider in your hand, Still funny though!

:D
darren

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 11:41:52 AM
This is just the universes way of telling you you need an Explorer,or a S557
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

au Offline DazMechanical

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 11:55:15 AM
Explorer is on my shopping list.
darren

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 12:59:02 PM

Isn't it ironic that your username is Huntsman but you were carrying a Fieldmaster when if you had carried a Huntsman you would have saved the day!

I realise that you have a Huntsman spider in your hand, Still funny though!

:D
SAW

tr Offline nervium

• Turkey National Medical Rescue Team
Reply #9 on: June 17, 2014, 05:21:26 PM
corkscrew is a trademark for victorinox.

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: June 17, 2014, 05:33:07 PM
You'll take my cotkscrew out of my cold dead fingers . A) , Myself , and friends often drink wine with corks ! , B) , without the cork screw , where do you put the eyeglass screwdriver ?

Corkscrews forever !

Chris

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #11 on: June 17, 2014, 05:45:44 PM
Sounds like you need to mod a phillips and corkscrew backlayer

I like the inle philips but have found plenty of times the T-bar action of the backlayer useful
“A good plan isn't one where someone wins, it's where nobody thinks they've lost.”
- Terry Pratchett

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: June 17, 2014, 06:02:19 PM
If I need a Phillips I usually use the can opener so most of my 91mm are CS. Most of the time I carry a 93mm so back side tools are a non issue.
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #13 on: June 17, 2014, 06:44:44 PM
.....and according to Mr whippies test the back screwdriver is very weak anyway , so you are better off with a useable corkscrew.

taaaaaaapaaaaaaas

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: June 17, 2014, 11:34:45 PM

Funny how the universe works like that  :)

So true, so very true. 

I was once a proponent of the phillips but I have seen the light and prefer the CS on my SAKs.  Pocket your Huntsman and off your go to save the day soon enough.   :salute: 
Esse Quam Videri

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #15 on: June 17, 2014, 11:40:11 PM
Isn't it ironic that your username is Huntsman but you were carrying a Fieldmaster when if you had carried a Huntsman you would have saved the day! I realise that you have a Huntsman spider in your hand, Still funny though!

Yep the username came from the SAK not the spider!!  8)
I should have stuck with my standard!!  :twak:

Now that's an idea  :D

hr Offline Subterranean

Reply #16 on: June 18, 2014, 05:04:19 PM
That's why I carry Tinker as my regular daily-work EDC, for parties I am carrying a Waiter.  :) One- or two-layered SAK nicely fits in the small jeans pocket.

I love the backside Philips. I would probably prefer an inline one (I am soon buying the Explorer for myself), but the backside Philips is so nicely profiled, full-size PH2 screwdriver. I've managed to unscrew some brutally stiff old screws with that backside Philips. Can opener saved me when I couldn't use the backside one.

You know what would be awesome? If they only took the full, round PH2 backside Philips and put it in the place of the inline "hybrid-WTF-PH1-PH2-PH?" screwdriver. That layer would be noticeably thicker, but I would buy that in a heartbeat.

hr Offline Subterranean

Reply #17 on: June 18, 2014, 05:18:03 PM
And yeah, I know that there is the Cybertool series, but these knives are far more expensive, plus I am not sure about the width of the bit holder (just above the bit) - there are some deeply recessed Philips screws on which you can't use something wider than that backside Vic Philips.

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: June 18, 2014, 05:32:06 PM
"And now twice in a week I have needed a corkscrew - and what's worse - not had one on me."

"Damm, damm damm - I know we all look for occasions to whip out our Multitool/SAK and 'save the day' - And I missed out on two opportunities."
:rant:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

I'm not laughing at you but with you.Smurf happens! LOL

You need to read and understand "MURPHYS LAW".

"If something can go wrong,it will."

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Murphy%27s+Law
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: June 20, 2014, 07:25:18 PM
Personal opinion , the backspring Phillips is pretty useless . I now EDC a Cybertool 41 , so I have 0,#1,and #2 Phillips bits . I usually have a Rambler on my keys , the small driver can be very handy in tight spots .

I also EDC a pocket driver of some kind . Canada isn't like the U.S. , in that you need #1& #2 Robertson in your EDC .

Chris

Offline Brewer

Reply #20 on: June 26, 2014, 03:15:19 AM

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: June 26, 2014, 10:38:30 PM
"And now twice in a week I have needed a corkscrew - and what's worse - not had one on me."

"Damm, damm damm - I know we all look for occasions to whip out our Multitool/SAK and 'save the day' - And I missed out on two opportunities."
:rant:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

I'm not laughing at you but with you.Smurf happens! LOL

You need to read and understand "MURPHYS LAW".

"If something can go wrong,it will."

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Murphy%27s+Law

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_A._Murphy,_Jr.

Glad I looked that one up. I'd remembered Murphy as being a rocket scientist,and him having written a number of laws,the famous one being no11 or 12
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: June 27, 2014, 10:49:04 AM
Having been a long time Vic Huntsman carrier, and SAK corkscrew fan....
- I will never forget being the most popular person a student parties many, many years ago,  in the days when all wine bottles had corks, and I was usually the only person at the party with a CS  8)

..... I have been slowly coming round to the view of many others on this forum - that maybe the Phillips is best.

And now twice in a week I have needed a corkscrew - and what's worse - not had one on me:
  • Saturday - At a friend's house for dinner, and he brings out a wine bottle, with a cork for once (most bottles these days in Oz are screwtop) - All my friends cheered (they know about my SAK affliction), "Get out your Swiss Army Knife" they yelled ..... And what did I have in my pocket - a Vic Fieldmaster - no CS :bnghd:
  • Friday - After work last week - Someone brought in a few bottles of wine for a post work Friday night bevvy - Once again bottles with corks - And I had a Wenger S16 in my pocket - Beautiful SAK BTW - It was the yellow Patagonia one  :D - But again no CS..... ???

Damm, damm damm - I know we all look for occasions to whip out our Multitool/SAK and 'save the day' - And I missed out on two opportunities  :rant:

PS. NB. Syph007 or any other chums - This is not a cue for you to put on your "I hate the corkscrew broken records" !!!  >:D
Oh all right ...... It's a forum ..... If you must - Be my guest  .....

That happened to me once during lunch time.  A distant relative brought out a bottle of wine, and I got immediately excited and say, 'wait, I have the perfect tool for this...'  And upon pulling out my SAK, I just found that it was a Philips at the back.

The story didn't just end here.  The best part was, my uncle smiled and pulled out a SAK with Corkscrew!  Even though I only met him for the first time, I felt we might have something in common afterall. :)

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #23 on: June 27, 2014, 03:41:11 PM
The story didn't just end here.  The best part was, my uncle smiled and pulled out a SAK with Corkscrew!  Even though I only met him for the first time, I felt we might have something in common afterall. :)

You met your uncle for the very first time - and you were drinkng wine.
Not such a close family I guess  ???  :)

Anyway love the story - Rock on Uncle Comis  8) - You are a true SAK man.
And always carry your CS Mr Comis  :)

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: June 27, 2014, 04:13:21 PM

You met your uncle for the very first time - and you were drinkng wine.
Not such a close family I guess  ???  :)

Anyway love the story - Rock on Uncle Comis  8) - You are a true SAK man.
And always carry your CS Mr Comis  :)

He was actually from my wife's side of the family, and the weird part was it was at a very remote location, and after visiting someone's grave as we both knew.  I thought it was odd to lug a bottle of wine around for lunch, and he probably didn't know there was a SAK enthusiast/hoarder at the table.  :D

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: June 29, 2014, 11:12:07 PM
+1 :facepalm:
But for God's sake, you cannot left the house with a SAK without corkscrew :twak: :D

:gimme:
co.JPG
* co.JPG (Filesize: 81.46 KB)

us Offline Sorel

Reply #26 on: July 16, 2014, 10:03:50 PM
Finally created an account here just to reply to this thread. Though even I, a lover of SAK's, wine, dogs, family picnics, and all that's good in life, though even I have seldom unexpectedly needed to use my SAK's corkscrew, I still feel the corkscrew is somehow the soul of a Swiss Army Knife, the part that, along with its cellidor scales[1], somehow defines it as not just a brilliantly engineered little pocket tool for scouts and survivalists, but as an elegant and enduring symbol of civilization. We can use and abuse the SAK's blades and other tools for all kinds of improvised projects, some trivial and some serious. The corkscrew, however, is useful for exactly one specific thing[2]: enjoyment of the Good Life.

[1] - I love Alox too, but I'm talking about the quintessence of the swiss army knife here, and that means cellidor.
[2] - I'm aware that the corkscrew can be used for other things too, such as unravelling knots. But it's expressly designed only for humanity's oldest and most sacred recreation.

us Offline Sorel

Reply #27 on: July 16, 2014, 10:09:58 PM
...With all that said, much to my sadness and disappointment, I'm not carrying a model with a corkscrew lately either, and would be caught unprepared as well. If I ever see the legendary Waiter Plus show up on any auction sites, maybe that will change; til then, it's just me, the midnite minichamp, and an Alox Bantam.

us Offline Luna Knife

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: July 16, 2014, 10:44:49 PM
My last Victorinox with a phillips where a corkscrew is supposed to be was a Tinker and was gifted away last year.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: July 17, 2014, 01:36:31 AM
Finally created an account here just to reply to this thread. Though even I, a lover of SAK's, wine, dogs, family picnics, and all that's good in life, though even I have seldom unexpectedly needed to use my SAK's corkscrew, I still feel the corkscrew is somehow the soul of a Swiss Army Knife, the part that, along with its cellidor scales[1], somehow defines it as not just a brilliantly engineered little pocket tool for scouts and survivalists, but as an elegant and enduring symbol of civilization. We can use and abuse the SAK's blades and other tools for all kinds of improvised projects, some trivial and some serious. The corkscrew, however, is useful for exactly one specific thing[2]: enjoyment of the Good Life.

[1] - I love Alox too, but I'm talking about the quintessence of the swiss army knife here, and that means cellidor.
[2] - I'm aware that the corkscrew can be used for other things too, such as unravelling knots. But it's expressly designed only for humanity's oldest and most sacred recreation.

Hi Sorel,glad you've decided to join in the madness !

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%