Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

For 46 years now...

cbl51 · 25 · 2279

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
For 46 years now...
on: June 29, 2014, 04:54:27 PM
I've been carrying a SAK.

Not the same SAK, but many different models. I got my very first SAK in 1968, and since then, I have not been without one. I've had other knives, Buck, Gerber, Opinel, Camillus, Schrade, Mercator, and even a Douk-Douk. I even had a small collection of Randall's in my more misguided youth. They all took turns being my knife of the day/week/month, while the SAK got bumped back into my day pack, or backpack. But sooner or later the SAK made the come back. Flying off on vacation a SAK was the go-to knife. Easy and cheap to mail to myself where I was going to be staying, and gift it out when I left. The cab driver who dropped us at the airport, the grounds keeper at the place we stayed in Key West, The guy behind the car rental counter in Oregon. They all got a almost new Recruit. When push came to shove, and I was only going to have a single pocket knife off someplace, the SAK was the choice.

Now being retired, having more time than ever before for fishing, canoeing, camping, and general screwing off, a SAK makes even more sense. The better half comes up with a honey-do list, and a lot of it is small home maintenance. A screw driver is a nice thing to have. Pulling down the ceiling  exhaust fan in the bathroom for a bit of oil on the shaft, any SAK will do nicely. Changing the light switch plate to a nicer more decorative one needs only a small flat screw driver.

I think back to all the knives I've had since 1968, and how they all got bumped after a time by the humble SAK. A recruit, a bantam, a Pioneer, A hiker. In all real world use, none of them could do what a SAK can do.  Screw, saw, open cans and bottles, repair a stalled motor scooter in the middle of nowhere, a boat motor out on the water, a leaky  faucet in a motel room, and a zillion more. Forty six years is a long time to use something. Especially when you keep trying other stuff, and then come back to old faithful.

I don't know how much longer I have on this earth, being an old man now. But I think I'll have a SAK in my pocket for whatever comes up, even if it's opening a cold Corona with a slice of lime in the neck. And the lime will be sliced with a SAK!
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Re: For 46 years now...
Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 04:58:40 PM
Nice bit of history there :D

:cheers:
SAW

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 05:01:37 PM
Excellent !!

Sak's  rule !

CHEERS

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 05:04:27 PM
Brilliant! It's nearly thirty years since I got my first SAK,and I really do hope I have one til my dying day!

Actually,I'll be pretty damn pee'd if I don't have one in the next!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 05:04:59 PM
We are brothers cbl51, Been carrying one since '72 and unless I'm dead or incarcerated I'll have a SAK of some sort with me.
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 05:06:56 PM
Cool story bro!  :cheers:
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 05:15:34 PM
I always enjoy reading you musings mate :tu:

If you ever do a collection of your story's as an eBook count me in for a copy :)

Sent from the astropathic choir.

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline Luna Knife

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: June 29, 2014, 05:31:53 PM
May that SAK serve your for many years to come.  I think that the evolution of carrying a SAK is a sign of wisdom and maturity. 

us Offline Saluki

Reply #8 on: June 29, 2014, 05:51:27 PM
Great story!  I also really like how you gift SAKs to strangers when you travel, and introduce them to the world of pocketknives and SAK's in particular.  Who knows maybe someday a new member will show up on this forum saying something along the lines of, "I was never interested in Swiss Army Knives until one day I was working at a car rental counter and this guy came in and handed me a Recruit, because he couldn't take it on his flight.  I have carried one every day since."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: June 29, 2014, 06:32:04 PM
Great story!  I also really like how you gift SAKs to strangers when you travel, and introduce them to the world of pocketknives and SAK's in particular.  Who knows maybe someday a new member will show up on this forum saying something along the lines of, "I was never interested in Swiss Army Knives until one day I was working at a car rental counter and this guy came in and handed me a Recruit, because he couldn't take it on his flight.  I have carried one every day since."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The wonderful thing about gifting SAK's away to the general public is, the instant recognition they get. The regular joe on the street does not know what a Spyderco is, nor a Benchmade, or any other trendy tactical or boutique brand knife is. But pull out the red handle wonder from Switzerland with the silver cross on the handle, and everyone knows what it is. I read some years ago in a magazine about world recognized trademarks. Coco-Cola was number 1, Bic stuff was number 2, and the Victorinox logo was way up there in the top brands. Everyone, no matter where they came from, recognized the SAK logo.

After a vacation in Key West, where the little recruit handled fishing and picnic duties, I gave it to the young Cuban guy who was the grounds keeper at the place where we were staying. Young guy in how early 20's, didn't speak much English. But when I hand him the SAK, and my better half who speaks fluent Spanish made it clear to him that it was now his, he was elated. Much of "mucho mucho gracias, and such, then he ran over to where his boss was to show him his new knife. The kid knew darn well what he got.

And I think I've seen more SAK's pulled out of purses by women all over, from a young stylish 30 something professional at a Walmart watch counter who was putting a new watch band on her watch and the counter person didn't know how, to a silver haired retired lady on a bird watching trip using a SAK to deal with a packed lunch. And when it comes to the 58mm keychain SAK's, I see them with everyone from a Doctor at the VA hospital where I get my medical care, to an attorney who was handling a family members estate.

SAK's seem to have an appeal that cuts across socio-economic borders. Thus international recognition by almost everyone on the planet. But then, if a flying saucer landed, I almost expect to see the gray man with a SAK!

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #10 on: June 29, 2014, 07:04:56 PM
Great story.  :tu:  46 years ago... I wasn't even thought of.  :D  You're right on the universality of SAKs.  I see them all the time at work.  Once I pulled my Super Tinker out to cut a coupon for a customer, and she looks and says, "Oh!  I could have done that!" as she pulls a well-used Climber out of her purse to show me.  :)  Today, someone I know is going to be getting his first SAK, he's just not aware of it yet.  Whenever he sees me, he wants to know what I'm carrying, and enjoys seeing the different models I show him.  Thanks to Lynn LaFey, I have a spare Spartan with ruby scales.  I added the small screwdriver to the corkscrew, and today around 6pm, it's going to a new home.  :tu:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: June 29, 2014, 10:10:08 PM
I got a Ranger in 1963 , I've had many others since then . ATM , I've only got about a 1/2 dozen .

I've gifted many to people I've met along the way , and caused some addictions . Now in my old age , I'm on maintenance doses .

Chris

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: June 29, 2014, 11:05:12 PM
Looks like I'm the rookie in this thread, as I've only owned, carried, and used SAKs for about twenty years... :cheers:

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #13 on: June 29, 2014, 11:14:55 PM
19 years happy years here :)

Sent via Astropathic choir.

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #14 on: June 29, 2014, 11:55:22 PM
Another Old-Timer who's a long-time SAK user (since the early '70s).  :cheers:

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: June 30, 2014, 12:06:07 AM
I got a Ranger in 1963 , I've had many others since then . ATM , I've only got about a 1/2 dozen .

I've gifted many to people I've met along the way , and caused some addictions . Now in my old age , I'm on maintenance doses .

Chris

!963??? :hatsoff:

You sir, are the king. Sure beat me, and I thought I was old as dirt!! Yeah, I sometimes wonder how many addictions I started by gifting out SAK's? One here, another there.

us Offline Joe58

Reply #16 on: June 30, 2014, 12:24:55 AM
Truly enjoyed reading that. I think SAK's have led to my obsession with knives in general. I've enjoyed knives ever since childhood and the SAK has always been my favorite.

I'm now in my 50's and am blessed to be able to afford some nicer (meaning more expensive, lol) knives, and really do like them and appreciate the craftsmanship that went into building them.

But it seems like more than half the time out of all the current selections laying on the dresser, I grab the alox electrician, or a variant thereof, over one of my high dollar customs. Feel a bit guilty sometimes. But, such is life. I figure that if nothing else those nice customs will be a good addition to my estate sale in 25 years or so. ;)

I am working hard at getting on some type of program to help curb my addiction. Do they make those vapor cigarette things to help with knife addicts? Lol.
🇨🇭

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: June 30, 2014, 12:45:49 AM

I am working hard at getting on some type of program to help curb my addiction. Do they make those vapor cigarette things to help with knife addicts? Lol.

Put two SAK's in your pocket, and call me in the morning!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: June 30, 2014, 03:14:52 AM
It's these threads that make me grab my little red knife with such pride.  I was at a friends last Xmas and her uncle who is in his mid 70's pulled out a Champion to tighten a meat slicer.  It was great so I had to pull mine out ( Explorer Plus ) and we had a little chat.  I found out he had carried this tool for many many years and yesterday I found out he retired it.  I have given away a bunch of SAKs in the last few years with the hopes that they find purpose.     
Esse Quam Videri

nl Offline Serena

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: June 30, 2014, 04:01:49 AM
Love to read these threads. I use my SAK all the time, couldn't do without one anymore…

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: June 30, 2014, 06:59:44 AM
Thank you for the history, enjoying a SAK is good, sharing it with others is even better!  Hope those whom have received will pass on the goodwill someday.  :tu:

It's these threads that make me grab my little red knife with such pride.  I was at a friends last Xmas and her uncle who is in his mid 70's pulled out a Champion to tighten a meat slicer.  It was great so I had to pull mine out ( Explorer Plus ) and we had a little chat.  I found out he had carried this tool for many many years and yesterday I found out he retired it.  I have given away a bunch of SAKs in the last few years with the hopes that they find purpose.     

Have you introduced him to MT.O?  :D

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #21 on: June 30, 2014, 11:19:35 PM
Another rookie here, I've only been carrying a SAK (most days) for 40 years.

us Offline JAfromMn

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #22 on: July 01, 2014, 12:20:29 AM
I had many junk/fake Saks in my youth. I didn't buy my first real sak until 1997.

I still own it.

yeah I'm still a rookie somewhere.  :climber:
Defend the Hive!!!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: July 01, 2014, 02:27:09 AM
@Comis he is a she and yes but she didn't say anything.  I told her we had women on the forum and free drinks but I got nothing  :o.  Oh well at least she is carrying and using her SAK and LM I gave her. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline deputy tom

Reply #24 on: July 01, 2014, 03:11:57 AM
Back in 1961~62 my Uncle gave me and my Brother a Suisse Army knife that I believe is a Modeler or something close. We had to share it and eventually he being the eldest ended up with that knife. FF to 1973 I bought a Champion which I still have and a dozen or so other SAKs since. I'm not sure where this places me in the thread but thought I'd share. tom.  :tool:
Thig crioch air an t-saoghal ach mairidh gaol agus ceòl The world will come to an end but music and love will endure

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%