Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

pocket can opener

us Offline n4vgm

Re: pocket can opener
Reply #30 on: July 21, 2014, 02:11:35 AM
I picked up a few FREDs over a year ago via ebay. Supposedly Authentic Aussie Issue. One I broke off the spoon and filed the end into a scraper and screw drive corner. Never really tested it but it is TSA friendly. I added the large safety pin to hold down the sharp part but it needed a section of heat shrink on the pin shaft to make it stay put.

Now it is about the size of a P51 but has a nice bottle opener too. You can make the cutter pretty sharp if you want to as well.

I still have four original FREDs around somewhere.
FRED MOD.jpg
* FRED MOD.jpg (Filesize: 59.95 KB)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 02:13:24 AM by n4vgm »

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #31 on: July 21, 2014, 02:48:29 AM
Not looking to derail this thread with yet another country of origin argument, but if I were you I would make sure the P-51 I bought was genuine US-made, not the Chinese-made trash.  Why someone would bother to sell (or buy) a knockoff of something that only costs a dollar or two to begin with is beyond me, but they are out there...

No worries, Josh will have a real US issue Shelby and Co. P-51 in his hands in a short period of time.  ;)
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: July 21, 2014, 02:50:16 AM
Not looking to derail this thread with yet another country of origin argument, but if I were you I would make sure the P-51 I bought was genuine US-made, not the Chinese-made trash.  Why someone would bother to sell (or buy) a knockoff of something that only costs a dollar or two to begin with is beyond me, but they are out there...

No worries, Josh will have a real US issue Shelby and Co. P-51 in his hands in a short period of time.  ;)

:cheers:

us Offline super m

Reply #33 on: July 21, 2014, 03:38:25 AM

You are amazing my friend. 

Brüder, die Brüdern Helfen
Brothers helping Brothers

Offline firefightingjosh

Reply #34 on: July 21, 2014, 03:57:27 AM
Thanks again!  Cannot wait I receive and test it out:).

Here is what this all about. My wave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #35 on: July 24, 2014, 02:39:40 PM
I don't think I've ever needed a can opened with my EDC kit; I basically never open cans when I'm outside of my own kitchen.  In my kitchen, I use a P-51.  I figure, the P-51 works great for a dollar, any other can opener is a waste of money.  Especially those electric ones.
I must respectfully disagree :whistle: :whistle:
And after watch these Darwin Award Candidates :oops: , you'll agree with me :tu:

http://youtu.be/CmmPO19_6Sc?list=PLUfk2v3IVnQg4iU5YnfijB0-HPlq5-J9J
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 02:47:14 PM by BIG-TARGET »
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41
Below Goal: $168.59
Site Currency: USD
44%