Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Get Home Bag

Offline firefightingjosh

Get Home Bag
on: July 06, 2014, 07:22:42 AM
What do you care in your Get Home Bag?

Josh

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
  • This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
Re: Get Home Bag
Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 10:31:48 PM
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Re: Get Home Bag
Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 06:22:41 PM
This...

It might be more properly called my car emergency bag. I carry a bunch of other stuff on my person in a Maxpedition Fatboy Versipack.

Contents:
First, you can't see it, but there's a little 'fauxton' flashlight attached to the pick-up handle of the backpack.
Backpack. Nothing special. Red. It's about half full with the stuff shown in the picture.
Leather work gloves.
Yellow safety vest
2 cheap rain ponchos
First aid kit. I've added more to it than what came with it. Notably sunscreen, bug spray, and moleskin.
White bandana
3 55-gallon drum liners (3 mil, I think) and 3 heavy duty ziplock bags
Zip Ties
Paracord, safety orange, 100 feet
SOL emergency blanket, and cheap 'space blanket'
20 ft of duct tape
100 ft of kevlar chord
Misc. pieces of cordage (largely replaced by those already listed)
Filtering water bottle
Gerber Bear Grylls Survival Tool Pack (Multitool, flashlight, ferro rod)
Victorinox Rucksack
Butane lighter
Waterproof matches and cotton balls soaked in paraffin wax (less messy than petrolium jelly)
Chlor-Floc water purification packets (in the little camo pouch)
Foam ear plugs
Several sheets of plain white paper
Crank powered flashlight
Spare set of glasses
Combo Whistle/compass/thermometer
Deck of waterproof cards
Small radio
Toilet paper
Sharpie Marker
bag of dice
USB wall outlet plug
camp towel

Along with the contents of the bag, there are bottles of water, jumper cables, and a 150 piece tool kit in the back of our car.

Since I'm in Urban/Suburban setting, I don't feel much of a need to worry about shelter, or to carry a heavy fixed blade, or hatchet or the like. This isn't a wilderness survival bag. I've had food in it before, and removed it, and replaced it, etc. Right now, there's no food in it.

You might also notice the 'color palate' of the bag is a lot less 'tacticool' than many people, and a lot more 'Please don't hit me while I'm walking along the side of the road at night'.

I've been working on this bag for years now. Usually, when people ask me what i want for Christmas, I just ask for something to add to it. The pack itself, the water bottle, radio, and the Bear Grylls tool set were all previous Christmas gifts, for instance. You can also see some remnants of gear I threw in at the beginning (a bit of OD green Paracord, for instance) that was just something I had before I picked up the full 100 foot new piece. Same with the old space blanket, now replaced by the SOL survival blanket. I would get 'good enough' until I could afford 'good as I want'.

Hope this helps, and constructive suggestions are always welcome. It's a work in progress.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $98.12
PayPal Fees: $5.09
Net Balance: $93.03
Below Goal: $206.97
Site Currency: USD
31%