Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Any Fans of the Spirit's Serrated Blade?

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Any Fans of the Spirit's Serrated Blade?
on: June 21, 2008, 09:21:35 PM
Like many others, when I first saw the Spirit, I was really disappointed when I saw the serrated "peanut butter spreader" blade. The Spirit S swapped the scissors for a PE blade which seemed a little better but you were still stuck with the serrated PB spreader.

The newest Spirit replaces the serrated blade with a PE blade and retains the scissors. This arrangement is what I initially thought would be ideal. Now that it is a reality, however, I have begun to wonder whether it is in fact better and am thinking I might actually prefer the original or Spirit S models. Weird, huh?

I think much of my initial poor reaction to the serrated blade was simply because it just didn't look "cool" to me due to the wide flat shape of the point (Which someone mentioned made the end of the knife much stronger without sacrificing any function, since the awl can do most of what a knife point could do and much better).

Another issue was that the the plain edge area seemed very small and I didn't understand why it was placed at the base of the blade. (I saw someone comment that a PE area at the base was the preferred placement. Does anyone know why that is? I thought it was the other way around, but I know nothing about knives...)

Anyway, now I care much less about the appearance for some reason and much more about the utility. I am thinking that a serrated edge might be in fact be very useful for cutting various things like rope, cordage, fabric, etc.  I also heard it's good for PVC.

So I was wondering if anyone out there prefers the "peanut butter spreader" to the PE version, and could perhaps explain why, and if there are any other things they find it is useful for?

Opinions on the Swisstool's serrated blade would be most welcome too, since I am still deciding between the two...  ???

I am also very curious about the small plain edge section of the blade - it's placement and whether it is long enough to be useful for time when you don't want a serration. This would also be helpful in deciding between the original or S model.

Thanks

« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 10:19:14 PM by max6166 »
[

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Re: Any Fans of the Spirit's Serrated Blade?
Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 09:30:21 PM
I am one of those rare people that prefer the serrated "peanut butter" blade.   This is mainly due to the fact that I always edc a SAK with whatever multitool I am carrying, and therefore having the serrated blade on the Spirit, I get the best combination of tools as a plain edged blade is in a SAK anyway.
I'm back!!

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 09:43:44 PM
Yes Benner, that is actually what changed my mind on the matter. I recently started EDCing SAKs anyway, so a PE spearpoint seems redundant.

I am still debating a bit about the topic though, in case I wind up wanting to just EDC a Spirit down the road or in particular situations.

Of course, if Vic would just lower the price to $25 on these things, I wouldn't be faced with these existential dilemmas!  :D
[

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 09:45:58 PM
I have no problem with it...actually I've never used it :)

I always have a beater blade clipped to my pocket, so every multi except my SOG has a pristine blade :D
[

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 09:56:17 PM
I was never a big fan of serrations, harder to sharpen, they usually rip and tear things up, and many don't even cut well.
but, Victorinox's serrations are better than most, like on the OHT the placement (in front)
and the way they are designed they work pretty good.

I like them on my Swisstools, on the Spirit and RS. They do a nice job and like the others, I carry a regular fixed blade (PE)
on me anyway so the blades in MTs aren't as important. If I was going to "have to" have blades with serrations, I would
prefer the way Victorinox does them. I like my peanut butter spreader!

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #5 on: June 21, 2008, 10:35:34 PM
I have no problem whatsoever with the blade shape, I just have a VERY deep hatred of serration's in general ::)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline scibeer

Reply #6 on: June 21, 2008, 10:35:47 PM
I like the serratons.   Gives me good practice on the belt grinder!   :D

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #7 on: June 21, 2008, 10:36:40 PM
I like the serratons.   Gives me good practice on the belt grinder!   :D
Amen to that :D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline brandonc223

Reply #8 on: June 22, 2008, 12:24:56 AM
I think that by adding partially serrations to a knife blade, instead of making it twice as useful your making it half as useful. I've never used the butter spreader knife of the spirit but I think there would just be to many situations where you would need a sharp point for cutting, more often then you would need to spread butter.

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: June 22, 2008, 02:22:08 AM
Yes, it didn't take much reading for me to see that most people prefer a plain edge to a serrated one. For argument's sake, let's just all agree that a plain edge is 1000x better and leave it at that... ;)

Let me try to phrase the question differently: Say you have the Spirit 'S' model with both PE and serrated blades. Would the serrated blade be more useful than the other tools for anything at all?

I think there must be some use for the serrations. One person mentioned it was very good for cutting PVC, for example. Aren't serrated edges also better at cutting certain types of fibre, rope, fabric, etc?

There must be some jobs that would fall somewhere between the wood saw and a plain edge, no?

Or does everyone grind the teeth off the wood saw too?  :P

« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 02:29:28 AM by max6166 »
[

spam Offline zepla

• No Life Club
  • Where is all that water coming from?!
Reply #10 on: June 22, 2008, 02:39:02 AM
Serrated are perfect for cutting rope, plastics, food, and whatever I have cut, in my experience. I love the spyderco sereated blades for example. And use the serrated blad om my MT more than the plain edge one. So, it looks I'm alone at this but what can't you cut with a sharp serrated blade what you can cut with a plain one?

Offline brandonc223

Reply #11 on: June 22, 2008, 05:39:03 AM
I use my serrated blades mostly for plastic, I don't even like them for rope, which it considered the main advantage of serrations, I can just always get a plain blade sharper, so I think that's why it preforms better. Although if my plain blades where as dull as my serrations, then the serrations probably would cut better, because of the teeth play a bigger role in cutting then the edge does.

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #12 on: June 22, 2008, 05:46:38 AM
I don't mind the "butter knife". I have a Spirit S so if I need to "poke" something I have the PE blade and the awl. I like it just in case I need to cut something where I have to be careful and don't want to poke holes in the stuff I'm cutting.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #13 on: June 22, 2008, 03:49:25 PM
I am a big fan of the " peanut butter blade "! I find that it cuts well. I find the Victorinox serrations really hard to sharpen though..
B

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
  • Smells like tar and smoke.
Reply #14 on: June 22, 2008, 04:35:04 PM
i dig it,i really do,its good from guttin heavy duty carton boxes to cuttin ropes.id rather give the straight blade away and keep the serrated.

us Offline Spork, Lord of Lime Jello!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #15 on: June 22, 2008, 05:56:06 PM
Serrated blades are the devil’s handiwork… >:D

Take the time to learn how to sharpen a plain edge properly and there is no need for serrations.

That being said, the Victorinox serrations are not as aggressive as most and I don’t mind them as much. The PB blade can even be used to make wood shavings without great difficulty.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #16 on: June 22, 2008, 06:02:47 PM
Ok heres my view on serrations . Remember this is my opinion only and shouldnt be taken for gospel , It works for me .

Vic serrations are the best I have ever used . If you have a Spyderco Sharpmaker ( sharpener ) then its childs play . Vics serrations dont snag on fibres and with the sharpmaker can be made very sharp ( we're talking shaving hair sharp ) . Due to situations I find myself in I cut alot of rope and believe me my Vic Swisstool RS cuts it better then my Spyderco Atlantic Salt .
  As for the Spirit blade plain edge section near the tang , its for close up fine work , think of sharpening a pencil for example .Also with the Spirits blunt tip it makes it ideal for working on a boat or anything else that moves around .

Dunc

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: June 22, 2008, 08:16:43 PM
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. So many people hate that blade that I thought I must be crazy for suddenly wanting one. I think there are enough fellow crazies out there that I am less concerned about regretting the decision.

That serration issue is really some can of worms though, especially to a knife newbie like myself... :ahhh

I completely understand people preferring a plain edge over a serrated one. But I don't really understand why some people believe serrations have absolutely no use whatsoever.

I mean, would anyone really grind the serrations off of a Rescue Tool? I have been reading a lot on this issue, and I think there are people who actually would...  ???

To my uninformed thinking, I would have preferred a slightly longer plain edge section at the tip of the Spirit blade with the serrations running down to the base, but I am ok with the current configuration.

Now I just have to decide between plain Spirit or Spirit S...  :drool:

[

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
  • Smells like tar and smoke.
Reply #18 on: June 22, 2008, 08:23:27 PM
well im pro-serrated blades as i said.if u happen to climb,dive,move at the seas,hassle with nets and ropes,crates,vacuum packings,moist wood,or u have to use sometimes just one hand to cut something in emergeancy situation i still rather do it with serrated than plain edge.i usually carry one puukko or some other device that has a good blade,like lm 502 folding knife,to cut wood in shape or so.i really dont concider any mutlitool blade(well theres some exceptions) good for carving etc.even sak´s blades are better for accurate jobs than leathermans.

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: June 23, 2008, 04:25:31 AM
The butterknife is ok for abuse cutting , which is about all I ever do with the blade on a multi . I tend to prefer a real knife for more precise work .

Chris

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #20 on: June 23, 2008, 07:08:23 AM
The serrated butterknife is great for cutting PVC pipe.

R

Offline shecky

Reply #21 on: June 24, 2008, 09:21:42 PM
I love that weird blade. I wish Vic made a Solo or Gardener with the Spirit blade. Never had an issue sharpening. I use an inexpensive EZE-LAP diamond rod.

us Offline carl

Reply #22 on: July 02, 2008, 02:26:44 AM
who is selling this PE version of the Spirit?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%