Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Imperial Schrade Tradesman multitools

J-sews · 13 · 4897

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Imperial Schrade Tradesman multitools
on: June 23, 2008, 04:29:43 AM
I'm trying to compile some information on these tools for the Encyclopedia. Anybody know anything about Imperial Schrade? The factory was in Ireland, although where exactly in Ireland I do not know. Apparently they were a subsidiary of Schrade Cutlery which was located in Ellenville New York.

My guess is that the Ireland factory was to supply the "economy" grade knives and tools to the Schrade line. Two of the multitools they made certainly support this theory. The TMT1 plier tool and the TMT2 snips tool both have the same set of plastic overmolded metal handles. The quality isn't horrible, but its not that great either. :-\

The design is a bit strange too. It's difficult to imagine what they were thinking when they shaped the handles into this strange S-contour. Flipping the tool from side to side, neither way feels comfortable in my hand. There's no sense to it. :(

And those little yellow plastic bits in each handle. They are "assists" to aid in lifting certain drivers up out of the handle. A small ledge on each one fits under the driver blade alongside. How silly! They take up space in the handle, one of them sticks completely out the end of the handle, and proper nail nicks in the drivers would eliminate the need for them altogether. ::)

Lift assist for the phillips screwdriver

Lift assist for the small screwdriver and can opener

The only redeeming feature on either model is the snips jaws on the TMT2. They are spring loaded, with fine serrations running along the cutting edge. I've done some test cutting on everything from paper to thin sheetmetal.

They work great. Curious that more multitool makers don't come out with a model like this. 

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Re: Imperial Schrade Tradesman multitools
Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 04:53:46 AM
Whooohoo!!!  You don't know how happy you just made me Bob.

When I was up in Alaska, I ran across a multitool in one of the little supply shops outside of the lodge I was staying in.  I was short on time, so I didn't get a good look at it.  From what I remember it looks exactly like the one in your first picture except the handles were grey and the plastic lift assists were blue.  I also believe it was French.  (which was what caught my eye)

I've been trying to figure out what it was since I got home... (and I seriously regret not buying it... it was only $12)
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 05:38:59 AM
Those scissors look great!
B

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 06:03:08 AM
hey tradesman don't have finger nails! they need assists or was it assistants ??? :D
nice review and pictures, I can't wait for the complete Encyclopedia-Multitool-a!
will a sales-person be coming to my home to sell it?  :think:

us Offline Smitty44

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 06:14:54 AM
I found a site that shows all the Schrade tools made in Irland,but it didn't have any of those.http://www.discountcutlery.net/en-us/dept_23359.html

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 06:59:31 AM
Are you sure those are made in Ireland? Judging by the Tradesman logo it looks like one of the new schrades that are made in China?
(

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 10:50:13 AM
Strange design on that one Bob, maybe it was designed that way to get arround some patent :think:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 10:37:11 PM
I'm interested in these too. I saw them for sale about a year ago on what appeared to be closeout for old stock @$9 if I recall correctly and remember being skeptical about the Irish production myself. Later found out that, as you stated, the models were made in Ireland but haven't seen any further information.

There are some Schrade experts over at Bladeforums that may be able to help. I personally don't know much about the company or it's history. Please update if you find anything, I'm interested now!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 04:08:41 AM
The original Tradesman tools were definitely from Imperial Schrade in Ireland, according to what is stamped on the knife blade. More recently, our good friends at United Cutlery have moved production of the tool too China. >:(  Everything on the Chinese tool is identical down to the last detail, except there is no stamp on the knife blade. (The box it came in says United Cutlery, Made in China)

There seem to be a bunch of the Chinese ones floating around right now with the RIGID logo on them:

The Irish made tools I've seen have the Tradesman logo, or a Ducks Unlimited logo, or this Imperial Apex Wilderness logo:

I've never seen the French logo that 665ae is referring to. Any way you could run back up there and check it out for us Mikey? :pok: :D
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 06:41:45 AM

I've never seen the French logo that 665ae is referring to. Any way you could run back up there and check it out for us Mikey? :pok: :D

If I could I would in a heartbeat...  I think I've found the phone number for the place I saw it at and I might give them a call just to find out what the brand was.
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: August 27, 2008, 03:24:38 AM
Did they happen to also start making the tin snip version again as well or just the plier ??? I think I may have finally tracked down a good tin snip MT but don't know if I have it yet (Ebay bidding) :D Just wondering since Bob said that the snips on this were good might get it as a backup ;)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 05:34:47 AM
Did they happen to also start making the tin snip version again as well or just the plier ??? I think I may have finally tracked down a good tin snip MT but don't know if I have it yet (Ebay bidding) :D Just wondering since Bob said that the snips on this were good might get it as a backup ;)

I don't know if they are making the snips version again. :-\

On the one you are bidding on, what brand name is shown on the logo panel? (if you don't mind me asking)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: August 28, 2008, 01:04:31 AM
I guess my other thread answered that for ya ;) fyi though it is a Maintenance Pro by Crescent to anyone else curious :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%