Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox RangerGrip 179, my first Vic made in Delémont (Pic Heavy).

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Some time ago, when Victorinox showed pics of Wenger models with the Vic Shield on them for the first time, I had a bit of trouble with it, it just felt a bit ... wrong  ::).

Well, I'm glad to say that time has passed  ;).

dk Offline Freaver

• Haven't smoked since 17/05-14 7.10 PM - 28/03-16
Nice pictures! :tu:
I've never been a fan of the combo edge, but in the second last picture, it fits perfectly.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Great pics mate.  :tu:

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Nice pics and nice score!

That's us mobile.

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline colt 1911

Awesome knife and even better photos, nice job !!

Sak's  rule !

CHEERS

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Do they make it without those serrations?
SAW

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"

I'd like to know too!
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

be Offline Top-Gear-24

I bought this one in a shop in Lichtenstein, and since they had about every model available there except for a plain edge version of this one, I'm guessing there is no PE version of this RangerGrip.  Sadly enough, because I also prefer a PE blade ...

Oh well, plain edge or not, I really like it  ;).

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
I suppose then I would tolerate the serrations. It's almost as if Wenger had not gone out of business with Delemont carrying on some of their very best products  :)
SAW

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
that sure is a nice looking SAK  :dd:
If I can help, let me know 

be Offline Top-Gear-24

I've been doing some searching on the net , and it turns out they do have one with a PE blade in these colors, but it doesn't have the saw then (RangerGrip 61) , there's also a version with PE blade and the saw, but then the corkscrew is replaced by a phillips and that one is only available in red with black grips (RangerGrip 78).  And there's a version with PE blade, saw and corkscrew, but that one is also only available in red with black grips, and the blade is not the OHO version (RangerGrip 55).

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
I too have purchased a few of these new Vic/Wenger knives.I like big knives.They fit my paws better than the smaller ones.LOL

DSCN1399-1.jpg
* DSCN1399-1.jpg (Filesize: 150.16 KB)
DSCN1400-1.jpg
* DSCN1400-1.jpg (Filesize: 145.83 KB)
DSCN1401-1.jpg
* DSCN1401-1.jpg (Filesize: 157.04 KB)
DSCN1402-1.jpg
* DSCN1402-1.jpg (Filesize: 157.95 KB)
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
A few more pics illustrating their width.

DSCN1403-1.jpg
* DSCN1403-1.jpg (Filesize: 147.42 KB)
DSCN1404-1.jpg
* DSCN1404-1.jpg (Filesize: 150.96 KB)
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

be Offline Top-Gear-24

I too have purchased a few of these new Vic/Wenger knives.I like big knives.They fit my paws better than the smaller ones.LOL

Very nice ... I really like the green one with the PE blade and the gutting blade (they didn't have that one either in the shop where I bought mine ...  ::)).  Not that I need a gutting blade anytime soon, but I do prefer a PE blade (but I also prefer a corkscrew instead of a phillips).  And I must say that the serrated blade has not failed me yet  8).

And I can understand that you like these big knives, they are really nice and like you said, they fit great in the hand.

Thanks for sharing your pics mate  :salute:.

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
You're welcome mate and thank you for those magnificent photos you provided in your post.

I believe I really need to take pictures outdoors to take advantage of the natural light.

I'm a hunter,an archer and black powder devotee,to be more specific,so the gutting blade is something I desire on my hunting knives.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

You're welcome mate and thank you for those magnificent photos you provided in your post.

I believe I really need to take pictures outdoors to take advantage of the natural light.

I'm a hunter,an archer and black powder devotee,to be more specific,so the gutting blade is something I desire on my hunting knives.

Thanks mate, I really like taking pics of my knives and multitools  :D.

And yes, natural light is a must have for great pics  ;).

Edit: The only things I shoot are pics, so the gutting blade is not for me, but in your case I can see why it's a "must have"  ;).
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 10:14:42 PM by Top-Gear-24 »

Offline marduk

Victorinox does make the Ranger 179 w/a plain edge. It's model RangerGrip 79. It's shown in their 2014 Delemont collection catalogue. It's officially listed as 0.9563.MCUS2. The lack of a W following M indicates that is plain edge not serrated. It has all the bells & whistles of the 179 but w/a plain edge replacing the serrated.

it Offline basilio

• No Life Club
These were pretty much the same names an color configurations used by Wenger.
However, Wenger (at least) used in the catalog numbers a direct reference to the models (79 and 179).
What is the logic of Victorinox to use the same catalog number for both models, minus a letter, is behind my knowledge.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 04:06:38 PM by basilio »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD