Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

LEATHERMAN STORIES

us Offline rescue4500

LEATHERMAN STORIES
on: September 19, 2014, 05:58:55 PM
Any unusual things you've ever used your leatherman for?

The other day I used my ST300 to cut a large root while doin a repair on an underground water line. It sure is a part time Plumbers best friend.  :multi:
If you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all. -Unknown Author

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: LEATHERMAN STORIES
Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 08:31:29 PM
In my line of work,my normal uses would be very unusual for most LM owners.

Eg,pulling the track pins on a slot car track

Shutting the stop cock for a seven floor shop

Stripping the action out of an air rifle( ok,that one might only be odd for UK members :whistle:)

There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

it Offline SolomonKane79

• Don't send flowers, but marlin spikes!
Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 08:52:41 PM
Trying to fix the washing-machine and get badly bitten by the LM charge... I can't even figure how that happened, at a certain point i was squeezing so hard one of these clamps with the charge, then i don't know, the lights went out, my palm bleeding and angels falling head down from the sky.
Antonio

us Offline rescue4500

Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 09:20:40 PM
Trying to fix the washing-machine and get badly bitten by the LM charge... I can't even figure how that happened, at a certain point i was squeezing so hard one of these clamps with the charge, then i don't know, the lights went out, my palm bleeding and angels falling head down from the sky.

I must say I also have a few battle scars from using my wave and ST300
If you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all. -Unknown Author

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 10:22:38 PM
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 10:22:44 PM
Does fixing a frustrating design flaw of the OG Wave in your garage counts as a story? LOL!  :D

EDC and OCD. A wicked mix.

us Offline rescue4500

Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 10:38:06 PM
Does fixing a frustrating design flaw of the OG Wave in your garage counts as a story? LOL!  :D

as a matter of fact it does

Offline rubrtoe

• New User
Reply #7 on: June 02, 2024, 12:32:54 PM
last night I used my Surge to do dental work. short version: I used the file to filed down a bone spur that was sticking out of the inside of my jaw at the gum line taht was lacerating my tongue.
Long version. a couple months ago I had an infected Wisdom tooth pulled that grew horizontally in the back lower right side, I'm still trying to get rid of the infection. a painful sharp bone spur developed like overnight, I had no clue hat it was, thought maybe a busted jaw from when they yanked the tooth out, cuz it did have some meat and a bone chip on it until It was so painful I couldn't swallow. So I went back to the dentist and they said it was a bone spur. They deadened my mouth on that side and filed it down. it started coming back and the infection in my neck and behind my ear wouldn't go away (lymph node & salivary gland I'm guessing) so they gave me a steroid pack. as I finished the pack and the antibiotics, it grew monstrous again in 48 hours!

But it wasn't lacerating my tongue again yet. So I went back and the dentist wouldn't file it down again and gave me a different antibiotic (which still doesn't work). So it was getting painful again recently and hurting my tongue again. So last night I used my  Surge's file&  file it back down and I learned a few lessons. #1 i didn't need no stinking anesthesia

#2 Mom was right when she said "If you want anything done right, do it yourself" but that was way before Leatherman tools came out. I'm sure if they'd been around in the 70s she'd has said "if you want anything done right, even dentistry, do it yourself... with a Leatherman."

Offline rubrtoe

• New User
Reply #8 on: June 02, 2024, 12:36:00 PM
also I'm surprised that #1 there is no "Leatherman Stories" section on the Leatherman website anymore, this thread is so short &it's not a topic in the main menu.

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #9 on: June 02, 2024, 02:02:10 PM
Welcome to MTO, rubrtoe!  That's a mighty old thread you have resurrected.   :cheers:

Your story reminds me of Tom Hanks removing a tooth with an ice skate in Castaway.   :tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: June 02, 2024, 04:56:17 PM
Welcome to :MTO: rubrtoe :cheers:

LM is great and one of my favs :salute: if you see a thread you want to keep going then you can :tu: we don't have any problem with bringing back older threads and/or keeping them going :woohoo: :like: :like:

Offline vadsoom

Reply #11 on: June 02, 2024, 11:26:51 PM
Some years ago, Leatherman had a “Tool Tale of the Month” highlighting great stories. I had one of my stories published. They sent me a tool, pin, hat, and shirt. I miss the stories very much.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: June 02, 2024, 11:32:25 PM
Some years ago, Leatherman had a “Tool Tale of the Month” highlighting great stories. I had one of my stories published. They sent me a tool, pin, hat, and shirt. I miss the stories very much.

And your story was...   :pok:

gb Offline Pattas29

Reply #13 on: June 03, 2024, 02:12:01 PM
I contacted leatherman a couple of times about this and was told Tooltales was still on the website which it clearly wasn't. I started a Leatherman Stories Page on Facebook but it didnt really take off. I love reading how people have used their leathermans. Hope this thread takes off.

Offline vadsoom

Reply #14 on: June 03, 2024, 05:23:49 PM
And your story was...   :pok:
I’m to make a long story short, I replaced the entire electrical system wiring in a truck in the rural Philippines using only a Wave, slip joint pliers, and a hammer. The truck was registered as Ford/Toyota.

us Offline Craig_S

Reply #15 on: June 05, 2024, 08:47:49 PM
I have shut off gas appliances, taken furnaces apart, removed cover plates on outlets, cut more things than I could ever count (including seat belts and clothing), pulled splinters, etc etc etc for the fire department with various Leathermans over the last couple years.

Many years ago, I was mowing our camp (30 miles from home) and the mower shut off. I had no tools other than a PST, and no supplies. I discovered that the main fuse had blown. I was able to break apart the large blade fuse and insert one side of it sideways so as to get power back and load it on the trailer. Upon returning to the house, we discovered a bad wire and fixed it but I forgot about the fuse. Several seasons later during a yearly service, dad got a call from the dealer asking why it had such a rigged thing instead of a proper fuse.  :oops: Had to explain that one to him and he appreciated it afterwards.

Craig
PST edc 1998-Present
PST, Crunch, Surge, Wave, Rebar, Original ST, Style PS, ST300, Free T2, Curl, Mini Tool, Kick, Juice XE6

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $160.46
PayPal Fees: $9.45
Net Balance: $151.01
Below Goal: $148.99
Site Currency: USD
50%