Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Is the slide lock on my Victorinox Cowboy not fully engaging?

thride · 12 · 2803

Offline thride

• New User
I just got a brand new Cowboy single layer 111mm swiss army knife. This was a hard knife to find but I really like it. It is slim, and of the 111mm size but has the slide lock which I like over the liner lock - I think it is cool and different. But I noticed one thing the slide lock I wonder if it should slide further up to lock the blade when the blade is out? I looked at some pictures of other slide lock swiss army knives and they all seem to slide all the way up, but this cowboy version does not slide all the way up along the scale. See my attached pictures.

I did some searching for pictures of the Cowboy that others have posted on the internet and found this one: http://calibanblog.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/cow3.jpg , which is part of his review of the knife here: http://calibanblog.wordpress.com/2010/05/09/victorinox-cowboy/

The slide lock seems to work OK and actually lock the blade and all but seeing as the knife is brand new and was not cheap I want to make sure it isn't defective before I am unable to return it.

A similar knife, the alpineer, is a 111mm single layer with slide lock (just has a corkscrew instead of a phillips) looks like it has the slide lock go all the way to the stop along the scale when the blade is out - you can see an example in the first picture of this thread: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/584278-Victorinox-Alpineer

So is the Cowboy a weird slide lock that doesn't need to go all the way up?

Thanks
Victorinox Cowboy closed.JPG
* Victorinox Cowboy closed.JPG (Filesize: 137.83 KB)
Victorinox Cowboy open.JPG
* Victorinox Cowboy open.JPG (Filesize: 141.11 KB)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 08:58:09 AM by thride »

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Re: Is the slide lock on my Victorinox Cowboy not fully engaging?
Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 05:52:18 PM
I'm by no means an expert on the subject, but just offering some info.  This is my first and only slide lock 111mm(Outrider), but the lock moves all the way up when the blade is open.

Here's a look down inside to show the mechanism.

When opened, if you pull the lock back and forth, you'll see the piece move.  On mine, it seems to slide almost flush when opened.

If yours slides to almost flush as well, then it's probably just the plastic button.  After looking closer, mine does seem to have just a bit more plastic there (not enough to fill the entire gap).

Hopefully someone else will have seen one with this issue.

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 05:54:56 PM
My slide-lock Swiss Cheese Knife goes all the way to the stop.
Don't know about Cowboy though  :shrug:
 :salute:

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 06:13:55 PM
I have a Hunter, Outrider and Workchamp with slidelocks and they all go to the top when opened and locked.

Maybe the spring that pushes on the button is weak? Could be the case if it's an older SAK or was a display model that sat partly open?

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 06:32:26 PM
I'll try to dig out my Cowboy and look this afternoon.
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
  • Look at all those shiny sharp things.
Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 06:50:28 PM
Can you push the lock up?

If you give pressure to the back of the blade, will the lock fail?

You could send it to manufacturer to be fixed. If you feel uncomfortable with it.

Offline thride

• New User
Reply #6 on: October 11, 2014, 05:34:30 AM

Did you find your Cowboy?

I'm thinking it is normal for this model only with the slide lock. 'Cause I found this picture of someone else reviewing the Cowboy, showing the slide lock http://calibanblog.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/cow3.jpg

Even if it is normal it still annoys me. I just wanted a single layer SAK with slide lock and kinda preferred the phillips so I went for the Cowboy, now I'm thinking of returning (not sure if this is still a option) or selling this Cowboy and getting the Alpineer, which has the corkscrew.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: October 11, 2014, 06:35:08 AM

Did you find your Cowboy?

I'm thinking it is normal for this model only with the slide lock. 'Cause I found this picture of someone else reviewing the Cowboy, showing the slide lock http://calibanblog.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/cow3.jpg

Even if it is normal it still annoys me. I just wanted a single layer SAK with slide lock and kinda preferred the phillips so I went for the Cowboy, now I'm thinking of returning (not sure if this is still a option) or selling this Cowboy and getting the Alpineer, which has the corkscrew.

Yes, it is exactly the same as yours..gap on the lock.  Sorry for the lateness of the reply...hectic day and T- Storms...

BTW The Cowboy is a much more desirable  knife to a collector than an Alpineer...I'd keep it and get an Alpie to carry/use.
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline neillcurrie

• Wanted: SpydeWrench
Reply #8 on: October 11, 2014, 02:28:15 PM
Two side locks here: both snap firmly fully.
Even though the lock snaps firmly into place, the blades can have varying amounts of vertical wiggle to them, but pressure on the blade end to force a closure does nothing.
I am not a fan of this lock system myself, it doesn't inspire much confidence, but I guess it's better than no lock.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #9 on: October 11, 2014, 02:31:45 PM
Huh, I wonder why the cowboy lock would be a bit different.   :think:  You'd think they would have used identical parts. 

Does the cowboy when locked, have less blade play then another slider lock 111mm ?
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: October 11, 2014, 02:44:44 PM
Huh, I wonder why the cowboy lock would be a bit different.   :think:  You'd think they would have used identical parts. 

Does the cowboy when locked, have less blade play then another slider lock 111mm ?

I didn't notice any difference in play but the Cowboy does have the "patented" reverse tang stamp that I thought was only on older 111mm's.
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #11 on: October 13, 2014, 06:52:35 PM
Two side locks here: both snap firmly fully.
Even though the lock snaps firmly into place, the blades can have varying amounts of vertical wiggle to them, but pressure on the blade end to force a closure does nothing.
I am not a fan of this lock system myself, it doesn't inspire much confidence, but I guess it's better than no lock.

Same thing happens with my new Hunter and Helmsman. I though they were defective but Nikola told me this is "normal".

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD