Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Spring Loaded Pliers... Like them or not?

Poll

Your thoughts on spring loaded pliers... (Keychain tools not included.)

Like them.
14 (36.8%)
Don't care.
11 (28.9%)
Dislike them.
13 (34.2%)

Total Members Voted: 38

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Spring Loaded Pliers... Like them or not?
on: July 08, 2008, 11:32:05 PM
Just wondering what other people's thoughts are on spring loaded pliers. I'm curious because they seem to be something that many users appreciate, and they're often found on the lower end tools, but they're rarely seen on the more expensive ones.

Personally, I think they're very useful for keychain sized tools, but I haven't ever gotten used to them on full size MTs. That, combined with the "extra" spring that can rust or get lost, means I tend lean towards the "dislike" side of things...

Your thoughts?

Offline Rodion

• When shumer hits the fan, bolo for me, mam.
Re: Spring Loaded Pliers... Like them or not?
Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 12:06:03 AM
I got to play a little with a cheap knock-off and the Gerber Legend (both had spring-loaded pliers). I gotta say, the Legend felt good. The other thing - not so much. I guess the answer depends on the overall quality: if it's done well, it's a plus, if not - not.
W

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 12:29:31 AM
I only like them on keychain sized tools also.. A drawback with spring loaded pliers is that they don't open too wide..
B

Offline Fishnuts2

Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 12:46:48 AM
The spring loaded pliers on one of my favorites, Legend 800, feel great!  The spring loaded pliers on my Buck Extract are quite poor.  I could foresee the spring popping out of them easily.
W

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 02:05:48 AM
I like them a lot. Just makes the overall use easier for me but I can understand why we don't see them on many multis.

ph Offline Teofilo

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 02:29:58 AM
For me, spring loaded pliers are the weak side of Multitools. Good only on keychains and light to superlight tasks.
I got a buck x-tract too, and I don't use its pliers the same way I use my other MTs.

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 02:32:41 AM
Good only on keychains and light to superlight tasks.

Why's that?

I never had an issue using spring-loaded pliers on heavy duty tasks, although it is fairly rare to see such a system on quality full-size pliers. I found the X-tract pliers to be less capable than other multis too; but for me it was more a function of the handles than the spring.

us Offline WH867

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 03:04:17 AM
I like the springs on the small tools.  Not so much on the larger MTs
Dennis

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 03:25:10 AM
I really don't care one way or the other but I guess if I had my rathers I'd prob not have them on my tools ;)

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 03:53:02 AM
I like the springs on the small tools.  Not so much on the larger MTs

I'll ask you too.  :)

Why not?

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 04:06:38 AM
I definitely like them on my P4. I don't have any large pliers or multis with springs, but I was playing with my Kick the other day and wishing it had springs.

I actually have some "flip grip" pliers/wire cutters which have a really nice "springy" mechanism. They open just a little as you release pressure on the handle. Just enough to initiate the opening motion, which seems to make a huge difference without being fully spring loaded.

I have no idea how they work though, as I can't see a spring or anything in there. They are really bare bones. It's like a magic trick. ???
[

Offline shecky

Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 04:46:13 AM
My Mom had a pair of slipjoint pliers at her house that were spring loaded. I have to say, I liked them a lot. They were no name brand, and couldn't have cost much, given that my Mom actually bought them (she said they came from Big lots). But the quality was there, and the spring loaded feature just made sense.

I'd like to have them on all pliers, if implemented well. But then again, that applies to anything. I like a multitool as long as it's implemented well.

ph Offline edap617

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: July 09, 2008, 05:04:37 AM
I don't like spring loaded pliers.

ph Offline Teofilo

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: July 09, 2008, 01:42:54 PM
    Spoon, you have a point there. Maybe because I  grew up seeing  mechanics who don't use spring loaded tools, except of course the vice-grip, in overhauling/repair of  vehicles. And here in my country, we don't use spring loaded pliers for that kind of task. Most IT technicians and electricians use small needlenose pliers (spring loaded) in computer assembly, soldering boards, etc.

I associate pliers to strength and force. I'll still use the pliers even though the rubber or plastic handles are contorted. I'll use the pliers even though the handles don't feel good because I know the job will be done well...

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #14 on: July 09, 2008, 01:55:21 PM
I have a pair of needle nose dedicated pliers (spring) and I really don't feel comfortable with them.
They are like opposite pliers, doing what I'm not used to and working against me. You have to keep
more pressure on them with light duty things and that added resistance throws things off for me, making
things/jobs more apt to fall out of the teeth/grip, not for me.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #15 on: July 09, 2008, 11:20:22 PM
I dislike them.  Springs are just something else to weaken or break.  This is one reason I prefer revolvers to semi-auto handguns.

I can open a pair of pliers just fine without springs.  Springs do have a place on more delicate pliers, as many have mentioned.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 11:23:12 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #16 on: July 10, 2008, 12:49:17 AM
They're great on a dedicated pair of pliers. As long as I have a pair of non spring ones too. On a multi-tool? No thanks.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #17 on: July 10, 2008, 02:23:10 AM
Just wondering what other people's thoughts are on spring loaded pliers....Your thoughts?

Spring loaded pliers were standard in expensive tool kits that I encountered on the job as an electronics tech.  There must be a reason that all the various manufacturers see fit to include spring loaded pliers, dykes, strippers, etc.

Got used to them on the job so that now, if using non spring loaded pliers, I miss the convenience and extra dexterity provided by spring loading.

Spring loading speeds up my ability to accomplish electrical tasks like cutting, stripping, splicing, and wrapping wire around terminals.

My SOG Powerlock is built tougher and will squeeze things harder, but for general purpose use I much prefer my Gerber Suspension with its spring loaded pliers.

N

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
  • Naked without my multitool!
Reply #18 on: July 10, 2008, 02:32:56 AM
less moving parts less things that can break :D
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #19 on: July 10, 2008, 02:33:36 AM
Got used to them on the job so that now, if using non spring loaded pliers, I miss the convenience and extra dexterity provided by spring loading.
That sounds about right... I guess we tend to like what we're used to. :)

Another thought that I had about why "cheap" tools tend to include springs and "good" brand don't, was that maybe companies that expect to get held to their warranties just don't want to deal with replacing all the lost/broken springs?

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #20 on: July 10, 2008, 02:39:50 AM
I dislike them.  Springs are just something else to weaken or break.  This is one reason I prefer revolvers to semi-auto handguns.

I can open a pair of pliers just fine without springs.  Springs do have a place on more delicate pliers, as many have mentioned.

Most revolvers also have springs that can cause problems by wearing out or even breaking.

Over the years I have experienced several revolver failures due to issues with springs.

Revolvers as a class tend to be more reliable than semi-autos as a class, but I don't think springs are the main reason.

N

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #21 on: July 10, 2008, 02:56:08 AM
That sounds about right... I guess we tend to like what we're used to. :)

Another thought that I had about why "cheap" tools tend to include springs and "good" brand don't, was that maybe companies that expect to get held to their warranties just don't want to deal with replacing all the lost/broken springs?

Actually I've been using non spring loaded pliers since I was a little kid, so I'm probably more used to them.

The spring loaded pliers I used on the job were all "good" brands from big name manufacturers - expensive to purchase and came with solid guarantees.

N

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #22 on: July 10, 2008, 03:02:44 AM
Actually I've been using non spring loaded pliers since I was a little kid, so I'm probably more used to them.

The spring loaded pliers I used on the job were all "good" brands from big name manufacturers - expensive to purchase and came with solid guarantees.
Well, there go my theories... :P :D

us Offline gafftapegreenia

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: July 10, 2008, 04:26:46 AM
I, too, like spring loaded pliers for smaller, delicate or electronics work. They can really help keep your hand from cramping from holding small pliers all day. A P4 without springs wouldn't be as nice.

But, for my larger tools, I usually don't like springs.
Fan of the Leatherman mini-bit driver and the Vic backspring philips.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #24 on: July 10, 2008, 04:31:12 AM

Most revolvers also have springs that can cause problems by wearing out or even breaking.

Over the years I have experienced several revolver failures due to issues with springs.

Revolvers as a class tend to be more reliable than semi-autos as a class, but I don't think springs are the main reason.

Thanks for the lesson.  I had no idea.  ::)

Notice I said, "one reason".  I also was not implying that revos do not have springs.
- Terry

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #25 on: July 10, 2008, 04:38:04 AM
 The good thing about a double action revolver is that most of the time is, if there's a spring failure,you can still have a single action revolver.
 Back to  to spring loaded pliers on multis----I'm largely against them,at least on a tool that's going to be seeing general purpose usage.
I

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #26 on: July 10, 2008, 04:38:54 AM
I have never had a reliability issue with any of my firearms. If it is properly maintained and lubricated then there should be no problems.
B

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #27 on: July 10, 2008, 04:44:59 AM
I have never had a reliability issue with any of my firearms. If it is properly maintained and lubricated then there should be no problems.
                 You probably never had a S&W firearm that was manufactured when they were owned by Bangor Punta...they had more than their fair share of problems and Smith & Wesson's reputation took a big hit. Dan Wesson revolvers as well as some High Standard arms could be hit or miss for reliability.
I

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #28 on: July 10, 2008, 04:48:46 AM
I have six Smith and Wesson handguns at the moment. And, I have never had issues. So yeah, I guess I don't have any Bangor Punta guns!
B

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #29 on: July 10, 2008, 05:07:06 AM

Thanks for the lesson.  I had no idea.  ::)

Notice I said, "one reason".  I also was not implying that revos do not have springs.

Well, the statement:
"Springs are just something else to weaken or break.  This is one reason I prefer revolvers to semi-auto handguns."

seems to imply that revolver springs aren't prone to weakening or breaking as semi-auto springs are - which doesn't match my experience.

I've enountered more than a few revolver owners who have no idea what's inside their handgun, including springs.

N

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD