Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The joke was on me.

cbl51 · 37 · 3121

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
The joke was on me.
on: November 19, 2014, 07:11:02 PM
Or; How i learned to love the classic.

I love the 58mm SAK's, and the little classic in particular. Aside from the fact that it is small, un-noticed on a keyring, and cheap to replace or hand out, the fact that I can replace it at any big box store, anywhere in the country is a great thing.

But I used to scorn the tiny SAK. I always carried a "man's SAK" like a soldier, pioneer, or hiker. A 'real' SAK. I always looked at the tiny little classic as some sort of joke. As it ended up, the joke was on me.

One day, my better half comes home from work with a little red handle knife on her keychain. Her company had bought some and put their logo on them, and was handing them out as freebies. I don't think here was anything Swiss about them. You all know the knock offs from a very large  asian country that specializes in SAK type knock offs made from recycled tuna fish cans. Knifes butter knife dull, and scissors that fold the paper rather than cut it. What could I do?

There was only one thing I could do; I went out and bought my better half a real Victorinox classic. The real deal, made in Switzerland. Once she saw it side by side with the fake, the fake went into the trash can, and she embraced the real classic. Of course, I still thought it was a joke, but how hard can life be in a woman's purse? Again, I was wrong.

For the next few months I watched my better half as she used, abused, and outright tortured the little red handle knife from the land of great cheese and chocolate. She cut, she snipped, she pried. Yes, pry, like in crowbar. I watched cringing, as she used the SD tip of the nail file tool to pry and poke with. I kept expecting to hear a PING, as it broke, but it never did. Once, she left her keys laying on the kitchen table, and I sneaked a look and feel of her little classic. The blades were a little loose, but not bad. At this point it had been some months of rough use. I was impressed. No, that's not accurate, I was more than impressed. I was amazed.

I bought a classic for my own use.

Oh, I kept it a semi secret, as I still had doubts about the 58mm's. So I started what I called in my own mind, "The experiment". Everytime I needed a knife or some tool, before reaching for my regular pocket knife or SAK of the day, I would make it a point to stop myself, and instead take out the little classic I had put on a quick release link on my keyring. I cut, I snipped, I screwed. Literaly. I found out the SD tip fits the number 2 phillips screws and most other small phillips screws that seem to hold the whole world together. I fixed things using only the little classic. I was amazed at how competent the tiny little thing was in the real world.

I don't know if it was during month three or maybe month four of my so called experiment, but I became aware that I now valued the classic as an everyday tool. I made a nice little leather sheath for it to go on my own keyring. It became second nature to reach for my little classic for opening a UPS box, a plastic blister package, mail, whatever. My pocketknife of the day began to feel neglected.

The impossible had happened; I became a believer in the 58mm SAK's.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 07:12:42 PM by cbl51 »
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Re: The joke was on me.
Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 07:23:33 PM
I gotta get myself an Alox classic.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 07:37:10 PM
Everybody should have an alox classic :D
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 07:39:39 PM
Where can I find a Alox Rambler?
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 07:40:27 PM
Yet another great read :tu:  I was also a skeptic of the 58mm, and finally ended up buying a Classic a while back.  It is a great little SAK, but I don't usually carry it as I still prefer the 91mm size. 
K-Tibbs

us Offline deputy tom

Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 08:45:45 PM
I EDC a Bijou along with what ever other knife I may have at the time. tom.  8)
Thig crioch air an t-saoghal ach mairidh gaol agus ceòl The world will come to an end but music and love will endure

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #6 on: November 19, 2014, 09:03:40 PM
The Classic is no joke. I've said in many threads before that ounce for ounce, it's probably the best MT in the world. They are SO small, SO light, So ubiquitous, and ... just SO USEFUL.

I have 2 MTs that I think of as the best entry tools, the Classic and the Leatherman Micra.

I can't say enough good things about them.

I've also owned a few knock-offs. There is very little fair comparison. The scissors on a new Classic will cut 550 paracord in one snip, clean. The scissors on knock-offs, as you pointed out, won't always cut paper. I've also used the SD tip on the file to turn surprisingly large screws, like #2 philips. It doesn't feel quite as secure doing it as a Micra, but it got the job done.

I mentioned a couple examples of sort of extreme cases, but the truth is that the tool is best at just doing the everyday stuff like opening boxes or mail, getting rid of nail burrs, and snipping errant threads.

And, as much as I like the Classic... adding the combo tool with the Rambler makes it all even better. :D

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #7 on: November 19, 2014, 09:44:14 PM
I've become a big fan of the 58mm lately.  My Rambler or Minichamp have been constant keychain companions, and I've made a conscious effort to use them as much as possible.  My conclusions?  For everyday stuff, there isn't much better out there.  :tu:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

de Offline coSAK

• Mounted Swiss Army Knight
Reply #8 on: November 19, 2014, 09:48:55 PM

+1

Best case: Alox MiniChamp!
WANTED: Red Farmer, Red Harvester, Soldier/SI 1975, Genuine Horn scales, Wenger 19th Hole Cigar Cutter

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: November 19, 2014, 10:15:17 PM

+1

No, the MiniChamp has too much clutter. Me, I'm torn between alox Rambler and Midnight Manager.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #10 on: November 20, 2014, 02:56:21 AM
I have tried hard to like the 58mm SAKs. They are just to small. The Wengers are slightly better, only just cause they are a tad bigger and they just collect dust too. Carrying one my keys is not an option, I have them in a shackle so they don't jingle and I still hate carrying those. 
Those small SAKs are well made. They are just to small for me and they can't handle the stuff I do or how hard I use my multis.
Nate

SEND IT!

de Offline Storky

• A happy fart never comes from a miserable ass.
Reply #11 on: November 20, 2014, 07:45:17 AM

+1

:cheers: Mine is in the backpocket every day.
Great tool and a real beauty  :salute:

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #12 on: November 20, 2014, 11:18:56 AM
Great story.

The Classic is essential! People Friendly, light, tiny. All my family have one, my wifes is purple and my daughter has personalised hers with rainbow paint. Mine is 'classic' red. If I'm going somewhere where a full sized SAK isn't appropriate, I'll couple my Classic with my P4 on my keychain and I'm good to go.

Huzzah for the Classic!  :salute:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

de Offline coSAK

• Mounted Swiss Army Knight
Reply #13 on: November 20, 2014, 11:29:54 AM

+1

:cheers: Mine is in the backpocket every day.
Great tool and a real beauty  :salute:

:cheers:
WANTED: Red Farmer, Red Harvester, Soldier/SI 1975, Genuine Horn scales, Wenger 19th Hole Cigar Cutter

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #14 on: November 20, 2014, 02:39:33 PM
My wife doesn't care about SAKs or multis, not one bit. She's afraid to try and open / close them, let alone using them :think:

However, she was thrilled when I got her a yellow Classic. That one she will use eagerly and also, I get the feeling, with a touch of pride.

If only I could persuade her to clean it up herself! That part I don't understand, she values cleanliness but she neglects her SAK :think:
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #15 on: November 20, 2014, 02:57:47 PM
Alox Rambler on one set of keys and a Horn scaled rambler on the others, I'm done.

us Offline Okie Shyster

Reply #16 on: November 20, 2014, 04:30:32 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

Have to agree about the Classic.   It's a handy little bugger.

I carried a Leatherman Micra on my key chain for several years but have recently replaced it with a Classic.  The Classic does everything I need done and in a smaller, lighter package.  Smaller and lighter has lots of appeal these days.  :D

I really like the leather sheath you made for your Classic.  Nice touch.  :tu:

How did you mold the leather to fit the Classic?

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: November 20, 2014, 04:58:09 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

Have to agree about the Classic.   It's a handy little bugger.

I carried a Leatherman Micra on my key chain for several years but have recently replaced it with a Classic.  The Classic does everything I need done and in a smaller, lighter package.  Smaller and lighter has lots of appeal these days.  :D

I really like the leather sheath you made for your Classic.  Nice touch.  :tu:

How did you mold the leather to fit the Classic?

Yes, as we get 'older', small and light become a very good thing.

I wet molded the sheath, soaking in warm water, and then inserting the classic and using fingers to push and form the wet leather to the knife. I made the sheath to swallow the whole classic leaving only the keyring sticking out at the very top, to grab.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: November 20, 2014, 05:02:37 PM
Another great read.

I think the trend is, when we're younger more is better and slowly as age and experience develop, less is more. 

Neat sheath.
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Okie Shyster

Reply #19 on: November 20, 2014, 05:30:33 PM
Another great read.

I think the trend is, when we're younger more is better and slowly as age and experience develop, less is more.

Neat sheath.

Exactly.  When I was young my philosophy was "if some is good, more is better, and too much is just right."  Now (as politicians say when they flip-flop on an issue) my position has "evolved."  :D  Smaller, lighter, and simpler is the ticket. 

Age and treachery beat youth and enthusiasm every time.   :pok:

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: November 20, 2014, 06:22:57 PM
Another great read.

Neat sheath.

Exactly.  When I was young my philosophy was "if some is good, more is better, and too much is just right."  Now (as politicians say when they flip-flop on an issue) my position has "evolved."  :D  Smaller, lighter, and simpler is the ticket. 

Age and treachery beat youth and enthusiasm every time.   :pok:

Yeah, I think you and Aloha go tit right.

When I was a kid I used to watch my dad use his little two blade pen knife size pocket knife for all his cutting chores. I was of course I was into large image driven knives, and lusted after a Randall 14. I eventually got that big Ranbdall, then I "evolved" over time until I looked at my big knives and thought "What am I doing with this stuff?"

Eventually I sold them all off or just gave them away and went back to caring just a SAK. Looking back on it, I think it was like some kind of temporary insanity that I eventually woke up from. Now I just obsess over SAK's! :think:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: November 20, 2014, 06:41:33 PM
XThanks for sharing  :salute: i love the little classic but wish vic made a alox  with T&T :-\ like my classic clone
14068302778221.jpg
* 14068302778221.jpg (Filesize: 121.71 KB)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 07:45:49 PM by Zed »

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #22 on: November 20, 2014, 06:43:38 PM
I think it was like some kind of temporary insanity that I eventually woke up from.

That insanity is called 'youth'.  :whistle:

But, let he who did not buy a cheap Rambo Survival Knife cast the first stone!  :rofl:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: November 20, 2014, 06:46:50 PM
The passage of time and those "what if's" that never materialized have a part in the "evolution" as well. 

Youth is amazing, the exploration of ideas drives us to experimenting with those ideas.  Through years not needing or reaching for the largest knife that we begin to see the little SAK as the right tool for the job in many if not all cases.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: November 20, 2014, 07:36:58 PM

I've tried to like the 58mm SAKS but the Micra just fires on all cylinders for me. Mrs. TJ loves her Classic SD though and uses it.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

es Offline El Rago

• I shot the sherrif...
Reply #25 on: November 20, 2014, 08:53:06 PM
I too scorned at the classic. It was till I was in need of a tool and a friend was close with a classic that the day was saved. Nonetheless, the classic was a bit short, so I opted for a minichamp. That thing never leaves my side.

I father always carries a classic. I will probably gift him with a alox rambler one of these days.

the good thing about these, is that they are legal in lost of places where you would not be able to carry something better. I do carry the Mini/Dime whenever I cannot carry something bigger.

I too see the real value of a 58mm SAK.

and yes, I too bough a cheap Rambo knife once

us Offline Okie Shyster

Reply #26 on: November 20, 2014, 10:01:37 PM

I wet molded the sheath, soaking in warm water, and then inserting the classic and using fingers to push and form the wet leather to the knife. I made the sheath to swallow the whole classic leaving only the keyring sticking out at the very top, to grab.
[/quote]

After you molded the wet leather around the knife did you leave the knife in the leather while the leather dried?  It looks like the leather retained the molded shape very well after it dried.

Did you have it stitched before or after the leather dried?

Sorry to pester you with so many questions but I really like the sheath and may try to make one myself.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 10:07:58 PM by Okie Shyster »

us Offline mrog

Reply #27 on: November 20, 2014, 10:07:31 PM
The Alox MiniChamp is even better  :D :whistle:
"The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read."

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #28 on: November 20, 2014, 11:57:43 PM
I think a Rambler with a swisslite scale on it, replacing tweezers would be perfect.

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: November 21, 2014, 12:39:26 AM

After you molded the wet leather around the knife did you leave the knife in the leather while the leather dried?  It looks like the leather retained the molded shape very well after it dried.

Did you have it stitched before or after the leather dried?

Sorry to pester you with so many questions but I really like the sheath and may try to make one myself.
[/quote]

ONce I had it molded, I removed the k nice so the leather would shrink bait, making a snug fit. It was all stitched before wet molding. Once in a while if it gets too loose, I wet it good and soaking, and press it flat and let it dry overnight to snug it up again. I do all the cutting and stitching while dry, and count on the wet forming to fit it exactly.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD
 12%