Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Kick vs Other Leathermans

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Kick vs Other Leathermans
on: July 10, 2008, 04:05:30 AM
I just got a Kick. I got it because it was dirt cheap, light, and I wanted a beater with a decent Philips. My only other Leatherman is a Squirt P4.

Now the P4 is a work of art to me. I love that little thing. But the Kick, on the other hand, left me underwhelmed to say the least.

Now I know the Kick is a cheap and basic tool, so that's ok. But I was still a little disappointed by it and it left me wondering a bit about whether I will like some of the other models.

To start with, I immediately didn't like the handles, which I found very uncomfortable. As I understand it, the plastic inlays were added to make the handles more comfortable. The plastic inlays are only rounded on one edge though, leaving a sharp plastic edge along the inside. Why didn't they round off both sides? Even more bizarrely, the plastic inside the finger grooves has been purposefully shaped into a thin edge, so that there is an even sharper plastic edge cutting into your fingers when you squeeze. I just don't get it. I can live with it; I just don't understand why it was done.

Then there is the clumping and the inside opening tools, which make it very awkward to use. I am ok with the head on the pliers, but the action of the pliers is not that great. The handles seem a little "bendy", and there is no real snap to the tools. They just kind of clump in and out.

I know I am being pretty rough on it. I can live with the problems - they aren't that bad. It's just that I had been expecting a much higher standard of design. Granted the P4 is a keychain tool, but I think it is a work of genius. I was expecting to be impressed again with my first larger LM. Maybe I'll still wind up loving it after a little time. Who knows?

Anyway, there were a few other Leatherman models I was interested in getting, but I was wondering how much they share in common with the Kick. I had wanted to get a Blast, for instance, but I imagine it will be very similar to the Kick. I know the plier head is shared with many other models.

So how does the Kick compare to other models? How representative is it of Leatherman? Does the Blast have the clumping problem too? Is the action of the Kick's pliers comparable to other LMs with the same plier head?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 04:08:47 AM by max6166 »
[

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Kick vs Other Leathermans
Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 04:16:44 AM
I disagree with you about the Kick.. I find that the Kick is one of the best tools for the money... It has all functioning tools.. Oh, and the screwdrivers can tackle recessed screws quite easily.. For $30 you cannot go wrong.. Oh, and the Blast is much better IMO.. For the extra money, a saw, file, and a pair of scissors is worth it..
B

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 04:17:20 AM
my Blast is the same as my Kick, clumping and cheap feel, also no snap (my Kick is still hard to open). I did sand the inside of the plastic and it is better now. I got them cheap so I don't mind.

Their premium MTs are better, more quality and better feel.

us Offline gafftapegreenia

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 04:23:53 AM
I love the Blast! For $50 its a great tool. My Blast had plenty of "snap", but yes, the Kick doesn't have as much. While their is some clumping, it's not as nearly as bad as the Kick. I also lubed mine up with some 3 in 1 oil. I think it has to do with the fact that the kick doesn't have locks. Also, it seems to me that there are washers in the Blast but not in the Kick. As for the sharpness of the plastic, that thought never bothered me until you mentioned it, and I've EDC'd a Blast for a year.

What don't you like about the action of the pliers? That its a butterfly open? Or that it doesn't open wide enough?

Fan of the Leatherman mini-bit driver and the Vic backspring philips.

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 04:40:55 AM
Hmm, none of my Kick/Fuse/Blast tools clump!  ???
B

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 04:41:56 AM
Hi max6166! I've used the Kick and other LMs quite a bit, so I have a few thoughts... You definetely did pick out the Kick's weak spots.

AFAIK, it's the only full-size tool of LM's that clumps, so that should be good news for you. I'm not 100% sure, but I think it's because they didn't put washers between the tools like they do on all their other models- maybe trying to save space or something. Probably someone else will be able to answer that better for you.

As far as the handles, I'm not sure why they kept the sharp edges. ??? I't never been a problem for me, but I see what you mean.

I'm not sure what to say about the pliers, mine works well even with some abuse. I know that they "shave" a bit off of one side of the pliers to make the tools fit. I'm not sure how much difference that "shave" makes, but other than that they should be the same pliers as found on the other 4" LMs. All of my LM pliers have "worn in" pretty well with just a bit of use, so hopefully it goes the same for you. :)

I think you'd like most of the tools in the LM line-up. The clumping is a Kick-only issue, though the handles would be similar on the Fuse/Blast. But, I also say don't count the Kick out yet! Start using it, and see if it grows on you... That's what happened with me- I bought it just as a beater, but the more I "beat" the Kick the more I liked it. :D I know it turned out tougher than I excpected at first.

By the way, I love the P4 too! A nearly perfect tool IMO. :)

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 05:20:25 AM
Yes, it's hard to argue with the Kick's price and I don't regret the purchase. I'll likely get used to it in short order.

It just caught me off guard at first. As soon as I picked it up I was immediately struck at how uncomfortable the "ergonomic handles" were. Then I pulled out a clump of tools from the inside, and closed the handles. Repeat to try another tool, etc. It just wasn't what I had expected.

I guess I am essentially disappointed by a lack of effort in the design. I mean, one handle just has a Philips and a can opener - and they still clump! The other side looks like there is room for washers, but they just wedged all the flatheads together with a spacer to one side instead.

I was expecting it to be just a little clever, and instead was scratching my head. Like with the handles. I just don't get it.

And then it also just feels just a little cheaper over all than I had expected, even for that price.

I am overstating the case though. It isn't that terrible and I may very well take to it. Mainly I just wanted to see if I was alone in feeling this way about the Kick.

@WhichDawg: Did you use anything special to sand the handles? I'll think I'll give that a try.
[

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 05:27:16 AM
AFAIK, it's the only full-size tool of LM's that clumps, so that should be good news for you. I'm not 100% sure, but I think it's because they didn't put washers between the tools like they do on all their other models

That's the weird thing. I think there is actually a washer between the Philips and can opener, yet those tools still clump. No washers on the other side though.

I think you'd like most of the tools in the LM line-up. The clumping is a Kick-only issue, though the handles would be similar on the Fuse/Blast. But, I also say don't count the Kick out yet! Start using it, and see if it grows on you... That's what happened with me- I bought it just as a beater, but the more I "beat" the Kick the more I liked it. :D I know it turned out tougher than I expected at first.

That's good to hear. Yes, I haven't closed the book on it yet. This was just a 5 minutes of playing with it impression. I bought it as a beater and it may very well grow on me. One day, I might even wind up raving about how great it is to everyone...  ;)

« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 07:41:02 AM by max6166 »
[

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 05:28:17 AM
Hmm, none of my Kick/Fuse/Blast tools clump!  ???

I only have the Kick, but my understanding is that the washers and locking mechanism on the Fuse and Blast take care of the clumping problem.
[

us Offline gafftapegreenia

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 05:29:29 AM
The Kick is the "low end" member of the trio. And remember the motto, "you get what you pay for". It will grow on you, I suspect. It's a lightweight, but don't let that fool you.
Fan of the Leatherman mini-bit driver and the Vic backspring philips.

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #10 on: July 10, 2008, 05:44:23 AM
I don't think my Kick's tools clump because they are SO tight!
B

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #11 on: July 10, 2008, 06:56:36 AM
nothing special, just medium to light grit sand paper, a little at a time on the problem area's.
it was fast and easy. Your also right, all that wasted space! but that makes it a good candidate for
adding stuff/modding! It's my beater/user. I still like it :salute:

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: July 10, 2008, 07:36:43 AM
Thanks for the info. I am going to use it "as is" for a little while and if the handles still bug me, I will try sanding the plastic.

On a positive note, as Leatherman123 mentioned, I really like the long drivers. They were a big selling point. Just simple, long, and straight flatheads and philips.

I wish the "nail nick" on the Philips was done a little differently, because it takes up a fair amount of space at the base of the shaft. That is really nitpicking though.

Yes, the potential for modding also made me interested in the Kick. My understanding is that it can be disassembled with just 2 pocket clips. Does anyone know where I can get some clips really cheap, and possibly a sheath  as well? From what I can tell, clips and a sheath will cost me much more than the Kick did!  :o

I noticed that the Kick blade is shorter than Fuse/Blast blade. Does anyone know if there are differences between any of the other shared tools as well?

[

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #13 on: July 10, 2008, 03:54:43 PM
Nope, that's the only difference in tools- the straight edge knife... I would try eLeatherman.com.. He has fantastic prices too!
B

us Offline Smitty44

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: July 12, 2008, 06:40:00 AM
I also have the P-4,Kick,Fuse and Blast,like them all,used a emery board to round out the handles,&WD-40 to work in the tools,now they all work great!!!

Offline E. Danny

• 17 of 500
Reply #15 on: July 12, 2008, 06:42:49 AM
The Kick is the "Man, I need a multitool, but Gerber sucks and Leatherman's are too expensive! What's this? The Kick? and it's a Leatherman that's only about 30$?" Kinda tool.
~

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: July 12, 2008, 07:09:18 AM
When you guys sand the handles, does it scuff up the plastic (I think it is Zytel) or leave any visible marks?

In practice, I am getting used to the handles, but I am still confused by the design decisions. For instance, I also noticed that the backs of some of the tools are higher than many of the finger grooves, so that your fingers are actually pressing on the back of the knife and can opener, and not on the the grooves themselves! How is this ergonomic? :ahhh

I am getting a little more used to the Kick now though, and it is feeling better after a little use. The action of the pliers is definitely better now that I have worked it in just a little.

I am definitely glad I got it, and it is a great value for the money, but part of the fun of getting a new tool is examining every excruciating detail of it and commenting as if you could do better...  ;)
[

Offline shecky

Reply #17 on: July 12, 2008, 08:54:56 AM
The Kick is one model I really like. Basic, good quality implements, compact and light enough to carry in the pocket comfortably. Not heartbreaking of lost. The only complaint I have is the waste of space used on the ring. Seems they could have put an awl, or a saw, or file in that space, making it even more useful.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: July 12, 2008, 01:03:32 PM

Yes, the potential for modding also made me interested in the Kick. My understanding is that it can be disassembled with just 2 pocket clips. Does anyone know where I can get some clips really cheap, and possibly a sheath  as well? From what I can tell, clips and a sheath will cost me much more than the Kick did! 

Seems like the pocket clips cost about $5 everywhere I've looked. :-\
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: July 12, 2008, 06:06:15 PM
The Kick is one model I really like. Basic, good quality implements, compact and light enough to carry in the pocket comfortably. Not heartbreaking of lost. The only complaint I have is the waste of space used on the ring. Seems they could have put an awl, or a saw, or file in that space, making it even more useful.

That whole area next to the ring looks like quite a bit could have fit in there. I think it is likely empty more as a marketing decision than for any practical reason.

I *think* the same marketing rationale is likely the reason for the smaller knife blade. Why else would you specially manufacture a smaller knife, when they could have just used the same knife as the Fuse and Blast? I don't think the smaller blade is worth the expense they incurred though, as only a real tool head would even notice the difference.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 04:45:13 PM by max6166 »
[

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: July 12, 2008, 06:14:03 PM

Yes, the potential for modding also made me interested in the Kick. My understanding is that it can be disassembled with just 2 pocket clips. Does anyone know where I can get some clips really cheap, and possibly a sheath  as well? From what I can tell, clips and a sheath will cost me much more than the Kick did!

Seems like the pocket clips cost about $5 everywhere I've looked. :-\

Yeah, $5 seems to be the going rate. It irks me, but I can live with that. It's shipping to Canada that is usually the killer though.

Can anyone recommend a sheath? As I understand it the leather sheath is not very good, but I would prefer nylon anyway.

I saw a generic nylon sheath on the LM site, and another generic one with a Maglite holster. Any opinions on either of those? Would the Maglite holster work with most other brands and sizes of light? Or is it better to get a separate flashlight holster?

[

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #21 on: July 12, 2008, 06:35:14 PM
I think your assessment of the sheaths is about right Max. The nylon is better than the leather one (which allows the tool to rattle around), but is still not brilliant. Are you sure you want a sheath at all if you're going down the pocket clip route though?

I might be able to help with the clips too if you have something nice to trade :D

I used to come here a lot.

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: July 12, 2008, 06:48:53 PM
The only multi I own so far is the Kick. I guess I could trade you my Kick and just carry around the clip...  :D

I was thinking of getting both a clip and sheath because I this is my first MT and I don't know which I prefer yet and don't want to get stuck paying for shipping twice. The sheaths are only $5, so I thought I'd just grab one now. Since it is generic, I figured I could eventually use it for another LM.

I am more debating now about whether to get the flashlight holster version or not.
[

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #23 on: July 12, 2008, 07:09:24 PM
The only multi I own so far is the Kick. I guess I could trade you my Kick and just carry around the clip...  :D

I was thinking of getting both a clip and sheath because I this is my first MT and I don't know which I prefer yet and don't want to get stuck paying for shipping twice. The sheaths are only $5, so I thought I'd just grab one now. Since it is generic, I figured I could eventually use it for another LM.

I am more debating now about whether to get the flashlight holster version or not.

Fair enough! I quite like the Flashlight combo sheath but find that the older style are much nicer than the the newer. If you try ebay, there are a few places that still sell the old ones and they're usually bit cheaper. The loop on the side fits the 2 x AA Mini Maglite snugly, anything bigger won't fit, anything smaller will fall out!

I would definitely go for some form of combo sheath as opposed to the Kick leather sheath though, as it's too big for the Kick, and nothing else will fit in it!

Let us know what you decide to do and how it works out!

I used to come here a lot.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: July 13, 2008, 12:32:12 AM
Congrats on the Kick max6166 I have a Blast but thats the only LM I have in the same class as the Kick :) I really like the Blast though, it is my work EDC and it has been a great MT for that :multi: :D I don't really have any complaints about any of my LM though :think: Nope nothing :D

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #25 on: July 13, 2008, 07:04:09 PM
but part of the fun of getting a new tool is examining every excruciating detail of it and commenting as if you could do better...  ;)
Well said! :D Critiquing is part of the fun for some of us, me included.

That whole are next to the ring looks like quite a bit could have fit in there. I think it is likely empty more as a marketing decision than for any practical reason.

I *think* the same marketing rationale is likely the reason for the smaller knife blade. Why else would you specially manufacture a smaller knife, when they could have just used the same knife as the Fuse and Blast? I don't think the smaller blade is worth the expense they incurred though, as only a real tool head would even notice the difference.
Personally I think your right about the "empty space" being more marketing than planning. You might be right about the blade too, but I like it the way it is because it means it's a non-locking blade significantly under 3", which makes it much more "acceptable" in a lot of non-tool/knife settings. That's one of the reasons I'll be carrying my Kick and Juices at school. I'm not sure if LM planned it that way, but I'm happy with the result. ;)

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: July 13, 2008, 07:39:24 PM
That's a very good point. I think you're likely correct - they may very well have given the Kick a shorter blade for exactly that reason. Why else go to the added manufacturing expense?

They were definitely thinking about the blade length issue with that line.

Perhaps they originally tried to address legal issues and the intimidation factor of the larger Fuse/Blast blade by giving the Kick a smaller blade. And then later on, decided to go even further and introduced the knifeless Fuse?
[

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #27 on: July 13, 2008, 07:57:48 PM
Perhaps they originally tried to address legal issues and the intimidation factor of the larger Fuse/Blast blade by giving the Kick a smaller blade. And then later on, decided to go even further and introduced the knifeless Fuse?
That's sound possible to me... They definetely went out of their way when they made two different blade lengths. And your right, the fact that they made the knifeless fuse means they were taking legality issues seriously.

us Offline LatinoHeat

• The man with the plan and the really nice tan.
Reply #28 on: July 14, 2008, 05:33:16 AM
I owned the Blastr, until the lock broke on me after moderate use.  One of the things I didn't like about it, and Def pointed this out in one of his reviews, is how light and cheap this series of multitool feels.  My Blast, while wide enough, never really felt durable in my hand.  I used it and carried it for a long time, to give it an honest shot, and did grow to like it, but it's faults always came back to haunt me, and after owning a Swisstool and Wave before it, the Blast just felt weak.  The drivers were great, and the blade was awesome as far as I was concerned, but the tool as a whole..... not so much.  The plier handles were too "bendy" for my tastes, as well, and often flexed when I was trying to torque something. 

spam Offline SLT.AMBEMC

Reply #29 on: July 16, 2008, 02:12:23 PM
Non-locking sub-3'' balde; that's what is required to be EDCable here in the UK. Probably unintentional from LM but that's a good thing here (there is a knife paranoia at the moment). I am getting a Kick as my first LM for that very reason (and there are cheap too!)
LM Kick, Swisstool, Paul Chen Multitasker, and many unbranded ones

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD