Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New ( to me ) Vic Ranger

us Offline sambeaux

New ( to me ) Vic Ranger
on: December 03, 2014, 01:29:02 AM
I recently acquired a used Victorinox Ranger from Ebay. I love the knife, but I have a few questions.

I bid on this one in particular because it appeared to have the new file. I've heard rave reviews about the new stainless file.
This ranger is probably going in my bugout bag and I wanted a good wood saw and metal saw... Anyway....

The metal saw is noticeably different from the one on my Trail Guide. The Trail Guide's metal saw has what I would call traditional cross cut teeth and appears somewhat dull. The Ranger has a very shiny file that appears to have teeth cut in only one direction. Is this the newest metal saw?

The scales on my Ranger also don't have the slit in them for the pin. The corkscrew is unfluted. The scissors have a silver rivet. Is this an older model? Or did someone just put older scales on it?

I love the knife, so I'm not sure it matters, I'm just curious about the age and the lack of a pin hole.

Thank you!!

Sam

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Re: New ( to me ) Vic Ranger
Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 01:37:02 AM
I'm on the phone so cant't check but the new file, much more agressive than the old one, stainless too, came out in 2005 (or 2004 :think: ) just after Vic released the first Spirit.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 01:53:33 AM
According to the Wiki, newer file came out in 2005, and the silver rivet in the scissors was used from 1991 to 2007 when it was replaced with the bronze colored one.  As for the pin hole, the Wiki says 1991-1993.  My guess is that your Ranger dates from that 2005-2007-8 period, and someone put older scales on it.
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline sambeaux

Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 02:05:59 AM
According to the Wiki, newer file came out in 2005, and the silver rivet in the scissors was used from 1991 to 2007 when it was replaced with the bronze colored one.  As for the pin hole, the Wiki says 1991-1993.  My guess is that your Ranger dates from that 2005-2007-8 period, and someone put older scales on it.

Thanks!! That's what I was guessing. The knife is in fantastic shape, so I'm thrilled. I was just puzzled about the lack of a pin hole.

And yes, the new file is *MUCH* more aggressive than the older file.

Has anyone done any testing with the metal "saw"? I've used the wood saw a few times and have been pretty impressed. I'm hoping the metal saw is equally impressive.

Sam

gb Offline Weasel

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 08:24:33 PM
I recently revived some replacement scales from victorinox's uk dealer,I asked for plus scales but they sent me the older style standard scales with no pin slot, I too thought that was strange but after another few emails explaining what plus scales were I finally received some although they were ruby translucent instead of red.so they must be some old style standard scales still being used.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 08:26:53 PM by Weasel »
Weasel

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $81.95
PayPal Fees: $4.26
Net Balance: $77.69
Below Goal: $222.31