Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Fuel Lantern/Coleman gas lantern

comis · 10 · 2614

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Fuel Lantern/Coleman gas lantern
on: December 10, 2014, 04:09:16 PM
Hi, guys.

Anyone grow up using a coleman gas lantern for camping?  I remembered using something similar long ago, when I was in boyscout, and it always bring back good memories when I see one.

I know the modern version has probably improved, but do any of us still use this?  I plan to get one soon, just for old time sake, any suggestion or memories to share? 

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Re: Fuel Lantern/Coleman gas lantern
Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 04:19:43 PM
I have an old one. I don't use it for camping. Just use it around the farm when the power goes out. Love that thing.
Nate

SEND IT!

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 04:34:57 PM
I have an old one. I don't use it for camping. Just use it around the farm when the power goes out. Love that thing.

Those lantern could just put out so much lumens, and definitely is a great lighting tool to have, especially in cold weather.  I recently just watch some youtube vids about how best to operate one, and apparently it maybe a good practice to turn on the gas slowly until the fuel 'spit'(so the fuel has filled up the generator), and then lit it under the mantle.  I didn't remember I was that specific when I was in boy scout, but definitely gonna try this technique when I get one next time:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 06:22:29 PM
That guy is amazing.  Those lanterns are neat but I don't see myself getting one.   
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 11:39:24 AM
I would love one but I'm not sure how much use it would really get.  For $30 at Costco I got an LED one that is much safer, lasts a bloody long time and is extremely bright.

I appreciate the classics though.  My father likely still has the ones he had when I was a kid.

Def

Sent from my smurfing hunk of techno sorcery

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 11:49:57 AM
I would love one but I'm not sure how much use it would really get.  For $30 at Costco I got an LED one that is much safer, lasts a bloody long time and is extremely bright.

I appreciate the classics though.  My father likely still has the ones he had when I was a kid.

Def

Sent from my smurfing hunk of techno sorcery

You hit it right on the nail, it is surely not the safest lantern out there, but what's life without a sense of nostalgic adventure?  >:D  :cheers:

What's fascinating to me is that it's been around for so many years, and with its lumens output close to 1000 for 7 hours, operating at a somewhat decent cost, it is still a strong candidate for good lantern today.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #6 on: December 11, 2014, 02:32:50 PM
All I ever had were the Coleman white gas ones, now the only thing I got are candles, but the one I did see was the dietz cooking 2000 lantern, you can use it to warm your food up.. JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #7 on: December 11, 2014, 02:44:35 PM
These (the style/system, no the brand) are still used here for one specific purpose; snail collecting  :D

The intense light they produce and the colour of it, seems to reflect very well on the shells of snails and as snails are usually picked up at night, after a rainstorm they are still popular.

For many years the intensity and portability of the gas lantern was unbeatable and their use has continued for picking snailseven though you can now find other bright and portable lights (the gas lantern still gets the best reflected light on the shells).

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: December 11, 2014, 05:16:04 PM
All I ever had were the Coleman white gas ones, now the only thing I got are candles, but the one I did see was the dietz cooking 2000 lantern, you can use it to warm your food up.. JR

Yes, I researched on that a little too, but those are now made in China, and I see them selling pretty cheap in Chinese bidding sites.  I sincerely hope the quality didn't decline, like the Marble and the old companies alike. :facepalm:  I will start looking them up once I get the coleman.  >:D

These (the style/system, no the brand) are still used here for one specific purpose; snail collecting  :D

The intense light they produce and the colour of it, seems to reflect very well on the shells of snails and as snails are usually picked up at night, after a rainstorm they are still popular.

For many years the intensity and portability of the gas lantern was unbeatable and their use has continued for picking snailseven though you can now find other bright and portable lights (the gas lantern still gets the best reflected light on the shells).

Thank you for sharing!  I have absolutely no idea these are that popular with snail pickers, definitely learn something new today.  :cheers:

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: December 13, 2014, 06:50:46 PM
We had a couple at the UK Meet (pictures from Kirky)

They were both Coleman double mantle lanterns running on unleaded petrol. They're known over here as "Tilley" lamps, after the best known manufacturer and most run on paraffin rather than petrol.

Mine didn't work so well to start with because I filled it with too much fuel  ::)

Compared to Al's gas lanterns, they were brighter and cost a lot less to run, but as he pointed out at the time they're a lot more dangerous with the pressurised petrol and they're not so easy to use. Al had a requirement for lanterns that weren't too dangerous when tiddly, and I think his fitted the bill better for that.

I was actually given this one, along with a paraffin one, for a trip, but in order to keep spares commonality we took two paraffin ones. On rough roads they're pretty pants because the mantles disintegrate.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD
 12%