Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Who carries a Swiss Card?

sawman · 35 · 2579

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Who carries a Swiss Card?
on: February 11, 2015, 05:34:49 PM
With the recent addition of a Cardsharp to my wallet, I'm considering throwing in a swisscard as well. My only hesitation is the thickness, being that of about three credit cards. I suppose I could always just pocket carry the thing but then why not just carry a full SAK?

So, who here carries a Swiss Card?
SAW

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Re: Who carries a Swiss Card?
Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 05:45:04 PM
I love them, but rarely carry one.  My daughter has one in her bag and loves it.

My biggest issue is the blade is hard to use well.

us Offline sawman

Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 05:58:46 PM
I love them, but rarely carry one.  My daughter has one in her bag and loves it.

My biggest issue is the blade is hard to use well.
Now that you mention it, I do find the scissors a challenge to use due to their limited handles/gripping area.
SAW

us Offline GigaHz

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 06:11:12 PM
I used to. It lasted 3 years and then cracked. I must of sat on a one too many times.

us Offline JAfromMn

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 06:52:48 PM

I'm planning on putting a swisscard scissors in my mut.

Defend the Hive!!!

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 07:16:38 PM
I was actually shopping for one.. realised I could use it more than the Cardsharp and it gives me a place to shove my toothpick  ::)
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 09:23:54 PM
On the chapter why can't Victorinox make a proper lighter and a proper flashlight: how come a Chinese knock-off can put toothpick, scissors, light, magnifying glass and screwdrivers in a Card, but Victorinox can't?

Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

us Offline sawman

Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 09:35:30 PM
On the chapter why can't Victorinox make a proper lighter and a proper flashlight: how come a Chinese knock-off can put toothpick, scissors, light, magnifying glass and screwdrivers in a Card, but Victorinox can't?

(Image removed from quote.)
I own several swiss cards of different colours. My version does not have the light or the 4 slot driver. I believe I've seen 4 different styles (one is the older one with foldout cover for the scissors).
SAW

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 09:38:30 PM
Never owned one. Legally I cannot carry one in my state so their is no point.  :(
I'm the milk man!

gb Offline Pignut71

Reply #9 on: February 11, 2015, 09:51:52 PM

Never owned one. Legally I cannot carry one in my state so their is no point.  :(

Wow! Why not?

Regards, Jon.

Sent using my chubby fingers...

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: February 11, 2015, 09:53:54 PM
I own several swiss cards of different colours. My version does not have the light or the 4 slot driver. I believe I've seen 4 different styles (one is the older one with foldout cover for the scissors).

I know. There isn't one.. that's my point. The versions with light and screwdriver have abandoned the scissors and toothpick... Chinese companies can put all of them in at once, but Vic can't   :think:

Here are all the versions: http://victorinox.metodi.me/swisscard.php

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: February 11, 2015, 09:55:16 PM

Wow! Why not?

Regards, Jon.

Sent using my chubby fingers...

Well the blade in the Swisscard is technically a fixed blade and it is a felony to carry a fixed blade concealed. I'm definitely not trying to catch a felony over carrying a Swisscard.  :D
I'm the milk man!

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #12 on: February 11, 2015, 09:57:27 PM
Could you imagine going to court over an inch long Swiss card knife!?! :rofl:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: February 11, 2015, 10:06:09 PM

I know. There isn't one.. that's my point. The versions with light and screwdriver have abandoned the scissors and toothpick... Chinese companies can put all of them in at once, but Vic can't   :think:

Of course the Chinese copy could leave the tiny weeny lens away. I already find the SwissCard lense on the small side, make it smaller and it gets useless in my eyes.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: February 11, 2015, 10:14:33 PM

Sadly, yes. They are strict on fixed blades.  :facepalm:
I'm the milk man!

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #15 on: February 11, 2015, 10:23:12 PM
Shouldn't scissors be considered fixed blades too? Some even split into two parts....
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: February 11, 2015, 10:26:55 PM
Shouldn't scissors be considered fixed blades too? Some even split into two parts....

Scissors are not considered fixed blades.
I'm the milk man!

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #17 on: February 11, 2015, 10:31:35 PM
I am aware of that but I was just thinking that they could possibly be defined or described as fixed blades or as stabbing weapons. If you open them up then you have what can be considered a fixed blade.....
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: February 11, 2015, 10:32:46 PM
I am aware of that but I was just thinking that they could possibly be defined or described as fixed blades or as stabbing weapons. If you open them up then you have what can be considered a fixed blade.....

I get what your saying. Some laws just don't make any sense.
I'm the milk man!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #19 on: February 11, 2015, 10:44:31 PM
I know this is going to get me whalloped, but I actually prefer some of the ToolLogic ones. In fact I own two TL ones but no Vics. That said, they very rarely get carried as a Vic Manager beats the lot!

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #20 on: February 11, 2015, 11:07:52 PM
I know this is going to get me whalloped, but I actually prefer some of the ToolLogic ones. In fact I own two TL ones but no Vics. That said, they very rarely get carried as a Vic Manager beats the lot!
Let the beating begin!!   :twak: :twak: :twak:

:rofl:

us Offline BASguy

Reply #21 on: February 12, 2015, 01:53:17 AM

OMG..... where do you live?   I definitely want to take that off my list of places to move to.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: February 12, 2015, 02:21:36 AM

OMG..... where do you live?   I definitely want to take that off my list of places to move to.

California. Honestly our knife laws are very good with the exception of not being able to conceal carry a fixed blade.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline BASguy

Reply #23 on: February 12, 2015, 02:57:40 AM
Oh yeah..... I thought (strangely enough) that your knife laws are pretty liberal.  You could really benefit from having similar gun laws to my AZ, but I digress

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: February 12, 2015, 03:12:56 AM
Oh yeah..... I thought (strangely enough) that your knife laws are pretty liberal.  You could really benefit from having similar gun laws to my AZ, but I digress

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If we had AZ gun laws I would be in heaven.
I'm the milk man!

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #25 on: February 12, 2015, 03:36:53 AM
...... My version does not have the light or the 4 slot driver......
I know. There isn't one.. that's my point. The versions with light and screwdriver have abandoned the scissors and toothpick... Chinese companies can put all of them in at once, but Vic can't
Hey Corwyn - There is one - The Swisscardlite has the capability to contain all the tools you specify above...
"toothpick, scissors, light, magnifying glass and screwdrivers"

All you have to do is replace the tweezers with the tp - Or did you really mean you want both?

On the original question:
I always carry a Swisscard in my car - Pen is useful for note taking if needed - But never in a wallet - As someone said - It's a bit too thick. However my better half always has one in her handbag - And loves it.

Re the scissors:
They are a bit tricky - But I find they work really well if you use your little finger (pinky to many of you - I guess  ;)) - Not your index finger as per traditional scissors  :)  - See photo
Vic Card ScissorsC.jpg
* Vic Card ScissorsC.jpg (Filesize: 190.16 KB)

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #26 on: February 12, 2015, 06:40:35 AM
Curious what the knife laws in Cali are?

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #27 on: February 12, 2015, 07:01:19 AM
Curious what the knife laws in Cali are?

On a whole their is no blade length limit in the state with the exception of a few cities that have their own municipal code. 3" blade limit (for folders) in San Francisco, Oakland, Los Angeles, Modesto and possibly a few other cities. The blade length limit does not apply to knives for work or outdoor activities like fishing/hunting. Los Angeles has a exposed fixed blade, blade length limit, but I do not remember what it is as it does not pertain to me.

Outside those cities you can carry as large a folder (concealed or openly) as you want. You can also carry a fixed blade (openly) of any length. Yup I can carry a machete openly, but cannot conceal carry a 1" fixed blade.  ::)

No switchblades, OTF or anything like that UNLESS it is under 2". Nothing that conceals the knife as anything else such as lipstick case knives or pen knives.

That's all off the top of my head, but that basically covers everything. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask. 
I'm the milk man!

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #28 on: February 12, 2015, 07:09:37 AM
Wow I am very surprised by the not smurfyness of this.

Wish Michigan's laws we're half this good.

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: February 12, 2015, 07:31:28 AM
Hey Corwyn - There is one - The Swisscardlite has the capability to contain all the tools you specify above...
"toothpick, scissors, light, magnifying glass and screwdrivers"
All you have to do is replace the tweezers with the tp - Or did you really mean you want both?

So the tweezers and toothpick are exactly the same?
Also where could I get a toothpick? I have plenty of Vic of Wenger ones but I imagine Swisscard ones are different...

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD
 12%