Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

DeWalt M16

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
DeWalt M16
on: February 14, 2015, 04:56:40 PM
I haven't had much of a chance to use this one yet, but I did pick it up a couple of weeks ago and I'd like to share some thoughts and observations (and some photos!) if'n y'all don't mind.

The first thing you notice when opening this thing up is that it looks and feels like a Tonka Truck.  Tonka is well known for building toys that are tougher than the real thing, as some members from my generation might remember:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ydmTjUwVpM

That's definitely a good sign, but it also feels overdone and chunky, kind of like a Tonka Truck too.  I can't say it feels bad per se, but it does feel like it would eventually succumb to heavy work and loosen up the way Tonka trucks would end up with loose wheels and floppy dump bins after a while.

It doesn't seem like a bad tool, but I doubt I would want to work this as hard as I would a Leatherman or a SwissTool- I just don't think it would take that kind of punishment and keep coming back.  Still, for the masses, it's not a bad tool.  I paid more than most, and dropped down a whopping $30 for this one, which puts it up against the Sidekick and Wingman, Kick and a few others, and to be honest, I think I like the feel of those better. 

Tool loadout isn't too bad- I like that they went the distance to put a lock on the blade, although the blade is remarkably stubby.  In fact, the overly wide and bulky handle with stubby tools reminds me of another tool.

I also like the really long Phillips driver- reach is something that a lot of multis lack but this one should go deep enough to get to most recessed screws.

As you can see, it's just as wide as that other tool (it's name escapes me at the moment... :P) but the M16 is somewhat shorter.

This tank of a tool also comes with no carry method- no pocket clip (not that it would fit) and no sheath.  This one seems like something to toss in a tool box, but that kind of defeats the purpose of having a multitool, so I'm really not sure what the point of this one is.  Maybe a glove compartment or fishing tackle box?

All in all this isn't a bad tool- if you get it on sale like some others it might be worthwhile to pick one up, but for $30 there are better options.  Sidekick, Wingman, Zilla... all of those are better choices in the $30 range in my opinion.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Re: DeWalt M16
Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 08:42:17 PM
I think Chako has a stanley (?) tool that looks the same. Nice find.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 01:42:04 AM
Yes I do. Nice review boss.  :tu:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

Offline mikekoz

Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 02:13:00 AM
   I have a few of these. I bought them in a package at Home Depot a year or so ago with a key chain tool for about $7.00 on closeout!! I was thinking I was getting a high end tool for practically nothing. It looks cool, the pliers are nice, and I liked the scissors, but the rest of it was a typical cheap tool, quality wise. Like you said, it was not terrible, but I had thought that DeWalt was known for making quality tools, and I was surprised they put their name on this. In my humble opinion, $30.00 is way too much to pay for this tool.

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 03:13:27 AM
Here they are as a package of two Dewalt multi-tools.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/qv/204452011

$19.88

Description:

Combining a full size DEWALT 16-in-1 Multi Tool with a convenient DEWALT 8-in-1 Multi Tool makes this a great gift pack and value for the everyday user. The tools open from the outside of the handles making access easy for individual applications. Included in the 8-in-1 Multi Tool is a handy bottle opener.
Dewalt.jpg
* Dewalt.jpg (Filesize: 10.28 KB)
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #5 on: February 15, 2015, 03:25:55 AM
Here they are as a package of two Dewalt multi-tools.

$19.88

Description:

Combining a full size DEWALT 16-in-1 Multi Tool with a convenient DEWALT 8-in-1 Multi Tool makes this a great gift pack and value for the everyday user. The tools open from the outside of the handles making access easy for individual applications. Included in the 8-in-1 Multi Tool is a handy bottle opener.

I bought a couple of these sets in 2013 when Home Depot closed them out at $7 after Christmas.
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #6 on: February 15, 2015, 09:28:29 PM
It costs the same as a Wave in my HD.
IMG_3323.JPG
* IMG_3323.JPG (Filesize: 411.84 KB)
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 02:48:35 AM
$30 is absolutely way too much to pay for this tool, but I did it anyway.  :P

As for Dewalt making good stuff, you are right,  they do.  They make good power tools. They probably sold the rights to their name like Smith & Wesson, Colt etc.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #8 on: February 16, 2015, 02:57:20 AM

The Dewalts are hanging on a Leatherman peg.  Lazy employees.
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #9 on: February 16, 2015, 06:02:19 AM
Guys we ALL have to buy one now. The 8n1 has a "handle bottle opener" who could resist

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #10 on: February 16, 2015, 07:04:46 AM

The Dewalts are hanging on a Leatherman peg.  Lazy employees.

This.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #11 on: February 17, 2015, 07:56:41 PM
Picked one up for $25 today.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline Inzelique

• If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer
Reply #12 on: February 27, 2015, 01:17:49 AM
http://toolmonger.com/2008/07/14/update-dewalt-16/
This is what I expected when I saw the title to This topic. :gimme:

00 Offline av8r1

Reply #13 on: March 26, 2015, 07:33:13 PM
I like the cut of this tool's jib.  I like the simple, straightforward design.  The long, thin phillips caught my eye, too.  I was a little curious about the weight and the quality of the metal.  If it were up to spec, $30 for a car tool wouldn't be bad.
My EDC:
Leatherman Skeletool   Led Lenser P3 AFS P
Leatherman Style CS    "Fauxton"
Sharpie Twin Tip           Bic Mini

us Offline Inzelique

Reply #14 on: April 24, 2015, 03:44:52 AM
For those interested, Home Depot has these marked down to about $10

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: April 24, 2015, 11:51:52 AM
When the US Home Depot marks things down, often the Canadian ones mark things up to compensate!  :P

For $10 this would be an excellent tool.

Def

us Offline Inzelique

Reply #16 on: April 25, 2015, 12:32:55 AM
I picked one of these today.  It isn't going to push the ST300 off my hip anytime soon.  I've named it "The Little Yellow Brick".  I think it's heavier than my Surge.  I think its getting desk duty.

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: April 30, 2015, 04:54:47 AM
Now marked down to $9.88 for two Dewalt tools,the 16 in 1 and the 8 in 1.

Dewalt.jpg
* Dewalt.jpg (Filesize: 10.28 KB)
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: April 30, 2015, 08:28:15 PM

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: May 01, 2015, 12:57:13 PM
Now marked down to $9.88 for two Dewalt tools,the 16 in 1 and the 8 in 1.

If anyone is willing to pick these up and ship them to me I'd appreciate it.  This tool is well worth $10.

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $279.86
PayPal Fees: $14.66
Net Balance: $265.20
Below Goal: $34.80
Site Currency: USD
88%