Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Swiss Grip.
on: July 22, 2008, 01:16:30 PM
Ok I'm going to jot down a few words about the awesome Swiss Grip :)

Initial Thought's

Well this is definetly a tool not to be taken lightly, in fact I'd go as far as to say it's HUGE, but strangely not all that heavy in the hand :), having said that, I feel it's far to big for pocket carry, and unless you wear a duty/tool belt it's not going to be practical edc, but in a bag or glove compartment, it would reign supreme :)

Build Quality

In a word brilliant :), even on this second hand example, the Swiss quality just shine's through, all the tools deploy smoothly, there's not a hint of rust, and it still feels as tight as the day it was made despite having had quite a hard life by the looks of it :). I fully expect this tool to be functioning perfectly for a good few years to come.

Pliers

Now I know Flat nosed pliers aren't everyone's cup of Earl Grey, but everyone should at least have a play with a Swiss Grip just to see just how tough an MT's plier set up can really be :), obviously having needle nosed pliers would have been a sales advantage for Wenger, but to my mind it would have made an already large tool, unacceptably big, ally that to the fact that you can really bear down on this pliers type with no fear of breaking them :)

Individual Tool's

Knife

Now this really is the Crocodile Dundee of knives :o, it's been called a folding machete, and not without good reason, it's huge :D, unfortunatly it's a clip point, but that's a personnel prejudice rather than an actual fault, it hasn't got much in the way of belly, but is a damn fine slicer for all that, and best of all no silly serrations :)

The deployment of the blade and lock, are both smooth and secure, with a very small ammount of play in the blade, which looks worse than it actually is because of the length of the blade.

Saw Blade

Now were talking!, this is a true pocket chainsaw if ever there was one :), proper double cut teeth so you can cut both ways, and very little evidence of clogging on any of the soft and hard woods I tried it on :), it did have a preference for green woods though.

And despite it's length there's no flex in the blade, even when you start to tire and use less than perfect cut angles :)

Metal File/Saw

At first I though it odd that they put such a incongruously small file on such a massive tool, but thinking about it, if it was much longer you run the risk of snapping it through improper use due to the higher temper of such tools, good bit of thinking Wenger.

In use it's broadly similar to the files on early generation MT's in as much as it get's the job done, but it takes a while due to the general lack of aggresion in the files teeth, it's not really a problem as all tools of this wintage are the same :)

Can/Bottle Opener

While usable I didn't much like it as it pierced the tin far to much making it a lot slower than is really necessary, and leaving a less than clean cut, which is a pain if you recycle all your tin's as i do. I didn't test the bottle opening facility as I'm a tea totaller, but given the size of the tool, it'd probably have enough leverage to catapult the bottle cap into orbit :D

Likewise the wire bender worked well on brass snare wire :)

Screwdriver's/Bit Driver

Now I really like the the onboard flathead screwdrivers :), stoutly constructed, and with a long reach, I found them easy to use even on fairly recessed screws :), the phillips, while sensibly small in width, lacked a lot of reach, and has similar drawbacks in use as most other Sak back mounted phillips's, not a problem once you aware of it's limitations, but a disapointment perhaps to the first time user.

The bit driver is a fantastic piece of latteral thinking on Wenger's part, but it's a bit of a mixed blessing in reality, as the bit's are comparitively short, and you soon run out of clearance when actually using the tool, as it just wont work in any kind of confined space  :-\

Awl

Now this was a good effective tool, it's a shame they couldn't mount it out the front like on a Farmer say, and not putting a sharpened edge on it is a considerable oversight, but for all that it works well as a wood drill :)

Conclusions

On the whole this is a genuinely praise worthy tool, it is big and does suffer some limitations due to its size, but only when using it's phillips and bit drivers. It is very comfortable in use, and has no hot spots or annoying rattles, and comes in a decent, hardwearing cordura sheath :)

So on the whole if you have need of a large, very heavy duty tool, for rucksack or vehicle edc, I wouldn't hesitate to get one, but don't hang around as there becoming rarer by the day :)

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Re: Swiss Grip.
Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 01:18:27 PM
Thanks To Grant for lending me the tool :cheers:

And that's a Vic Huntsman and CS Ghurka Kukri for scale :o

BTW sorry for the crappy pics, I'm just getting used to my camera :-\

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 01:22:41 PM
Superb review buddy!  :)

Very detailed.
I'm back!!

Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 01:30:01 PM
Superb review buddy!  :)

Very detailed.
Aww shucks :-[ :D

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
  • Smells like tar and smoke.
Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 01:41:46 PM
Thanks To Grant for lending me the tool :cheers:

And that's a Vic Huntsman and CS Ghurka Kukri for sale :o

BTW sorry for the crappy pics, I'm just getting used to my camera :-\

:D

Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 01:42:21 PM
No not for sale :twak: :D

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 01:57:39 PM
Thanks for the review.  Its a funny tool.  I'm not sure if I like it or not  ::)  I'll try and get one (like you said, quickly, whilst I can) and have more of a play.

Neil
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

Offline Rodion

• When shumer hits the fan, bolo for me, mam.
Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 03:12:04 PM
I like the Swissgrip quite a bit. It's not nearly as huge as everyone accustomed to folding multis feel; just not pocketable. The finish is superior, obviously, though you can tell it's a Wenger by the tools not snapping into place as they ought to. The blade lock is somewhat uncomfortable to release, but on the plus side, rock solid. Also, it's dreadfully ugly.

Everything else on it is just brilliant. I spent a great deal of time picking a multi, and I'm happy to say that my choice was correct.

P.S. I didn't even know that was a can opener. Thanks!  :D
W

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 03:32:06 PM
though you can tell it's a Wenger by the tools not snapping into place as they ought to.

Can't say I have ever heard of that complaint with Wenger?
I'm back!!

Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 05:47:52 PM
Well the snap's not Vic good, but consiederably closer than the competition :)

Offline crls1

• I do Exist!!!!
Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 06:24:24 PM
Great review as usual MickyD.   Mine does not have a phillips, but a corkscrew (which i like better), so i have to rely with the included bits. Talking about this bits, you can find a lot o variety, and there are some long enough to use with the bit driver without worrying about the space.

What really shines about this tool (and in all the ranger series) is the "two man operated" saw  :D, it can substitute a dedicated folding saw.

Well, have fun with the SwissGrip, i think you are going to really enjoy this tool.

Carlos
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 01:48:21 AM by crls1 »
(

Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 06:29:26 PM
Thanks mate, the saw really is my star of the show too, it's bloody awesome :D

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #12 on: July 22, 2008, 09:51:46 PM
Excellent review!!! It was a great read!

I have a SwissGrip with a philips driver as well.. I can honestly say that it makes a lot of other tools look weak.. It is an absolute MONSTER! I have to second the amazing saw.. I really like Wenger's saws in general.. I LOVE my SwissGrip but I never really carry it..

Like I said before, excellent review!!  :cheers:
B

Offline Rodion

Reply #13 on: July 23, 2008, 12:09:35 AM
I forgot to praise the OP: very detailed and accurate review, hits the nail on the head with the metal file in particular. I was amazed to see just how tiny the thing was.

though you can tell it's a Wenger by the tools not snapping into place as they ought to.

Can't say I have ever heard of that complaint with Wenger?

It's not so much "it's a Wenger", as "it's not Victorinox". The snap I know and love from my other SAKs is simply not there. That said, it makes the tool feel like an actual tool, which isn't so bad.
W

Reply #14 on: July 23, 2008, 12:10:44 AM
Thanks for the comment's guys :cheers:

us Offline gafftapegreenia

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: July 23, 2008, 12:25:10 AM
So is the Wenger grip still made? And who do I have to sleep with to get one?
Fan of the Leatherman mini-bit driver and the Vic backspring philips.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #16 on: July 23, 2008, 01:11:55 AM
I hate to ruin your fun...

Can/Bottle Opener

While usable I didn't much like it as it pierced the tin far to much making it a lot slower than is really necessary, and leaving a less than clean cut, which is a pain if you recycle all your tin's as i do. I didn't test the bottle opening facility as I'm a tea totaller, but given the size of the tool, it'd probably have enough leverage to catapult the bottle cap into orbit

I believe that's a straight bottle opener, is it not?  Wenger's can opener is a very different looking beastie:

Their combo tool is an even odder looking contraption:

That might explain why you had so much trouble with it! :P

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Rodion

Reply #17 on: July 23, 2008, 01:15:56 AM
I wonder if that knife is actually a toothpick.  ???

Not me, that's for sure. I wouldn't trade mine for anything earthly.  :multi:
W

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #18 on: July 23, 2008, 01:29:12 AM

We did a group buy not too long ago- contact Tim at fveap@sosakonline.com to see if he has any left, or will order some.  They have been discontinued, so get them while you can!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline crls1

• I do Exist!!!!
Reply #19 on: July 23, 2008, 01:39:36 AM
They have been discontinued, so get them while you can!

Def

Funny you mention this. It seems that here, the distributors have the SwissGrip with corkscrew as part of their regular line, but maybe i'ts a special run (bloody expensive, by the way).

http://www.zurichvirtual.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=630_633&products_id=8201&osCsid=312e57524eced57cd2fe4526662274ca&tienda=zurich&tienda_id=1

Carlos
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 02:22:49 AM by crls1 »
(

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Reply #20 on: July 23, 2008, 02:01:30 AM

We did a group buy not too long ago- contact Tim at fveap@sosakonline.com to see if he has any left, or will order some.  They have been discontinued, so get them while you can!

Def

Turns out 2 people backed out of the group buy so I have 2 left. $85. shipped in U.S. Add $10. for International. PayPal to: felinevet@sosakonline.com  Thanks, Tim.
T

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: July 23, 2008, 02:17:36 AM
Nice write-up Mike!  :)

What are your thoughts on the wire cutter? It being an "anvil" type, I find it to work better on some types of wire, others not so good. :-\

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Reply #22 on: July 23, 2008, 09:45:01 AM
Nice write-up Mike!  :)

What are your thoughts on the wire cutter? It being an "anvil" type, I find it to work better on some types of wire, others not so good. :-\

I didn't test the wire cutters as it's not my tool, and didn't want to run the risk or damaging such a nasty mans rare Wenger :o, but I would imagine they'd do the job on most types of wire :)

I had wondered why the 'can openner' was such hard work :D

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: July 23, 2008, 09:14:28 PM
Great review makes me even more sore that I turned down the chance of a Swissgrip  :twak: :twak: :twak:Stupid Boy

Reply #24 on: July 23, 2008, 10:42:49 PM
Great review makes me even more sore that I turned down the chance of a Swissgrip  :twak: :twak: :twak:Stupid Boy
Yeah, but like me you'd probably be to worried about taking it out of the house :-\

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: July 23, 2008, 11:48:33 PM
Yeah, but like me you'd probably be to worried about taking it out of the house :-\
Rodger that

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #26 on: July 25, 2008, 10:47:18 PM
Great review Mike  :D I enjoyed reading that . Its a really nice tool with great build quality .

Dunc

Reply #27 on: July 25, 2008, 10:48:35 PM
Great review Mike  :D I enjoyed reading that . Its a really nice tool with great build quality .

Dunc
That it has :)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #28 on: July 26, 2008, 03:19:00 PM
What about the hex bit driver on the side of the tool? It seems like a great idea, but I've never had an occasion to actually use it. :-\
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Reply #29 on: July 26, 2008, 06:50:29 PM
What about the hex bit driver on the side of the tool? It seems like a great idea, but I've never had an occasion to actually use it. :-\
I thought it a great idea in principle, but in practice it's just too big to use in any confined space :-\

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD