Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Sheepsfoot on the Spirit???

Biru · 24 · 2809

Offline Biru

Sheepsfoot on the Spirit???
on: July 26, 2008, 12:47:07 AM
Would any of you have a notion as to the rationale for putting a sheepsfoot serrated blade on the Spirit as its primary blade???

Just wondering, Bill.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Re: Sheepsfoot on the Spirit???
Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 12:53:26 AM
I see the Spirit as something to be carried with a SAK.  The serrated blade ensures that you have the maximum blade options with this combo.

Just my thoughts anyway.  :)
I'm back!!

Offline Steel Blade

Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 12:59:03 AM
I think it was to try to get the Spirit accepted as a "tool" rather than a knife. The Swiss like the rest of Europe are trying to do away with a knife carrying public. A sheeps-foot serrated blade would be more difficult to classify as an offensive weapon.

Bob
Y

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
  • Smells like tar and smoke.
Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 01:23:51 AM
i wouldnt be sad if i could see more partially and fully serrated sheepfoots in every multitool etc.i like those a lot,theyre way effective.for whittlin i use real knife or non serrated folding knife.with multi i rarely do anything that requires straight blade,o mainly cut ropes,rubbers,pipes,hoses,open boxes,cut tapes etc.and in that job serrations are better.IMO :D

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 02:00:32 AM
Perhaps they just noticed that a certain other best-selling tool had a serrated sheepsfoot, and thought that is what people wanted?

Or like Benner said - maybe they just thought that everyone already had a spearpoint and they would welcome some variety?

Or perhaps they wanted to offer a real beater blade and thought the spearpoints tip was too fragile and a PE was not agressive enough?

Or maybe they noticed that serrated sheepsfoot's were becoming somewhat popular and they realized they didn't have anything in their catalogue with one?

Ok, I'd better stop.... :)

Actually, I wish the standard SwissTool had a serrated sheepsfoot instead of a serrated spearpoint...

[

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008, 02:02:04 AM
Would any of you have a notion as to the rationale for putting a sheepsfoot serrated blade on the Spirit as its primary blade???

Just wondering, Bill.

At some point during its design, a decision was made that the Spirit would have only one blade.

Having decided on only one blade, they chose to make it a combination serrated-edge/plain-edge so that it would be capable of handling the widest possible variety of tasks.

Those Vic serrations are excellent for a wide array of cutting tasks, and the short plain edge section will work for most tasks where a plain edge is better.

Given that the Spirit has a decent awl, its blade doesn't really need a sharp tip.

I agree that the Spirit "peanut butter spreader" isn't a triumph of aesthetics, but it does look to be one of the more capable combo blades available.

N

Offline Biru

Reply #6 on: July 26, 2008, 02:37:51 AM
I've been toying with getting a Spirit and was surprised at the sheepsfoot. I absolutely love the spearpoint. Personally, I believe it's the overall best blade on a multitool. I'm with you fellows on the point of view concerning the sheepfoot's being seen as less of an offensive weapon in these days of de-clawing the populace. Still, I really like that Spirit...

Thanks to you all, Bill.

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #7 on: July 26, 2008, 02:53:17 AM
They're changing it.   The new Spirits have a regular blade instead:
R

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: July 26, 2008, 03:07:30 AM

Is this just a new model, like the Spirit S, or are they actually replacing the original Spirit with this version? I thought it was just a new model they were adding to the line, but I was just going by rumours here and elsewhere.

Does anyone know when the new Spirit is shipping yet, and whether it will be available in North America?
[

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #9 on: July 26, 2008, 03:11:35 AM
I agree with SteelBlade. They want the Spirit to be more of a tool than a knife.. Plus, if you look at some of Victorinox's pictures of the Spirit there is climbing gear.. Oh, and in another there is a boating theme.. So, maybe Victorinox did this so that it would be safe to use while doing these activities? Just a thought..
B

Offline crls1

• I do Exist!!!!
Reply #10 on: July 26, 2008, 03:39:12 AM
According to a Victorinox brochure i received today as a gift, there were four reasons to opt for this kind of blade (sorry, the brochure is in Spanish, so you'll have to trust me  :D):

1.- Three quarters of the blade are serrated, and this kind of age stays sharp for longer than a plain edge, and is more appropriated for cutting bread and salami  ???

2.- To cut wood you have to use the base of the blade, where usually, you apply more force for this kind of task.

3.- Without a tip, there is less risk of an accident, without sacrificing functionality.

4.- This way, there are less chances that the tool will be considered as a weapon by the authorities.

As you can see, your guesses were very close to the truth!

Carlos

P.S. If anyone wishes, i can scan the brochure, it has a lot of interesting info, but you have to learn Spanish to read it!
(

Offline Biru

Reply #11 on: July 26, 2008, 04:25:40 AM
Thanks, Carlos. Don't put yourself to much trouble. I'm trying to learn more Spanish, but I'm far from reading a brochure! :D  That's what I get for taking Latin in school...

I'm definitely getting one of those Spirits with the spearpoint blade. I like the styling of the Spirit very much, but can pass on that sheapsfoot. L123's definitely correct about the rafting and the need for a safe blade. Fortunately, I don't do much rafting but I do like the spear for hiking/packing.

Thanks again to all, Bill.

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #12 on: July 26, 2008, 04:46:44 AM
So I take it that I'm in the minority since I don't mind the butterknife on spirit?

Offline Hoghead

Reply #13 on: July 26, 2008, 05:17:26 AM
So I take it that I'm in the minority since I don't mind the butterknife on spirit?

I like it too.

I had two of the origional Spirits, but my wife lost one and replaced it with the second one. I wonder if I should buy a couple more. I'm thinking they might discontue the origional since they are comming out with a new model with a pointed blade. I'll have to buy the new model too, just because I don't have one.

Offline Biru

Reply #14 on: July 26, 2008, 05:22:28 AM
I don't mind having a SF on a knife, just not as my main blade. The SF is handy when around inflatables (though I'd say it's still not as safe as the blunted edges on Gerber's river knifes, but I don't raft so I can't be sure) or cutting where the spear edge might cut into human or animal skin. I like the spear because it's handy for skinning or filleting (it doesn't tend to poke through skin as badly as a clip point), can be used as an offensive knife if the need arises, and makes a neat slice in pack materials. Vic's spear blade is my favorite knife, if only they'd one-hand it. Still the sheep has its places.

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: July 26, 2008, 06:02:52 AM
I prefer it too, and am looking to get a regular Spirit with the butterknife.

If it was my only blade, I'd probably want a spearpoint, but I will always have at least a SAK with me so the serrated blade creates a more versatile combo.
[

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #16 on: July 26, 2008, 06:26:59 AM
I like the serrated butter blade but I also have a Spirit S. It makes a great "emergency" knife. If I need a sharp knife but I'll be cutting close to someone or something valuable it could be just the thing. If I need to poke or stab something I still have the PE blade or the awl.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Re: (No subject)
Reply #17 on: July 26, 2008, 07:22:01 AM
Maybe Vic thought if they release the sheep foot blade first  then release other blade options later then they would sell more .i like it and find it very usefull   

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #18 on: July 26, 2008, 08:43:43 AM
According to a Victorinox brochure i received today as a gift, there were four reasons to opt for this kind of blade (sorry, the brochure is in Spanish, so you'll have to trust me  :D):

1.- Three quarters of the blade are serrated, and this kind of age stays sharp for longer than a plain edge, and is more appropriated for cutting bread and salami  ???

2.- To cut wood you have to use the base of the blade, where usually, you apply more force for this kind of task.

3.- Without a tip, there is less risk of an accident, without sacrificing functionality.

4.- This way, there are less chances that the tool will be considered as a weapon by the authorities.

As you can see, your guesses were very close to the truth!

Carlos

P.S. If anyone wishes, i can scan the brochure, it has a lot of interesting info, but you have to learn Spanish to read it!
I can't read Spanish, but picture's are always good :)

As for the blade, well I do think it was a mistake on there part, but only as far as having serrations on it,if they'd left it a PE, I doubt it'd be so controversial :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline gafftapegreenia

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: July 26, 2008, 08:56:47 AM
(Image removed from quote.)

THAT is the Spirit I will buy.
Fan of the Leatherman mini-bit driver and the Vic backspring philips.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #20 on: July 26, 2008, 08:57:47 AM
I think even us existing Spirit owners are trying to justify buying that :D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: July 26, 2008, 09:37:23 AM
Actually, I know it isn't popular but I also wouldn't mind a combo blade with the serrations at the base...
[

Offline crls1

• I do Exist!!!!
Reply #22 on: July 26, 2008, 08:14:16 PM
I can't read Spanish, but picture's are always good :)

I'll see what i can do to have this sorted!  :D

Carlos
(

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #23 on: July 26, 2008, 09:18:26 PM

No I like it as well.

If I had a choice of the serrated or the new PE version, I would chose the serrated as I carry SAK's and see very little point in carrying 2 PE blades.
I'm back!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD