Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Solo backpacking in the Ozarks (pic heavy)

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Solo backpacking in the Ozarks (pic heavy)
on: April 11, 2015, 05:23:05 AM
Well, this was two weeks ago, but I'm just now going back over the photos, so I thought I'd share.  I posted a few pics in the Recent Outdoor Activities thread, but figured I'd add more here.

I went down to the Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri for an overnight, my first solo backpacking trip (had a group trip planned in Arkansas, but everyone bailed :( ).  As a compromise to my wife, I decided to stick with one night this first time.

Drove down in the afternoon, then set out for a couple hours before making camp.

Before stopping for the night, I found the best water source so far (not running, but cold and clear), and had dinner on the trail.

Debut of my Sawyer Mini, really enjoyed the simplicity of it.

Hiked a bit more then set up camp and hung the bear bag.  Quickly got into my bag as the low for the night was right around freezing.

Quick pocket dump before bed, of things carried on-person.  Bandana, compass, map, whistle, lighter, chapstick, "fire kit" with SAK Bushcrafter, ferro rod, and capsule with vaseline-soaked cotton balls, as well as my phone for camera/gps.

Breakfast in the morning and then off to see the sights.  It was a state park with some castle ruins (only about 100 years old, but still cool for me) and a natural spring.

I looped back by the Jeep and switched to the daypack :)  Basically dumped the tent/sleeping gear and shoved everything else into an old backpack.

Then headed home to see the kids before bedtime :)  Overall, I had a blast.  Definitely caught a bug for solo trips and hope to have more this season (and hopefully reschedule that group trip as well).

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Re: Solo backpacking in the Ozarks (pic heavy)
Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 05:53:49 AM
Well, this was two weeks ago, but I'm just now going back over the photos, so I thought I'd share.  I posted a few pics in the Recent Outdoor Activities thread, but figured I'd add more here.

I went down to the Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri for an overnight, my first solo backpacking trip (had a group trip planned in Arkansas, but everyone bailed :( ).  As a compromise to my wife, I decided to stick with one night this first time.

Drove down in the afternoon, then set out for a couple hours before making camp.
(Image removed from quote.)

Before stopping for the night, I found the best water source so far (not running, but cold and clear), and had dinner on the trail.
Debut of my Sawyer Mini, really enjoyed the simplicity of it.

Hiked a bit more then set up camp and hung the bear bag.  Quickly got into my bag as the low for the night was right around freezing.

Quick pocket dump before bed, of things carried on-person.  Bandana, compass, map, whistle, lighter, chapstick, "fire kit" with SAK Bushcrafter, ferro rod, and capsule with vaseline-soaked cotton balls, as well as my phone for camera/gps.

Breakfast in the morning and then off to see the sights.  It was a state park with some castle ruins (only about 100 years old, but still cool for me) and a natural spring.
I looped back by the Jeep and switched to the daypack :)  Basically dumped the tent/sleeping gear and shoved everything else into an old backpack.

Then headed home to see the kids before bedtime :)  Overall, I had a blast.  Definitely caught a bug for solo trips and hope to have more this season (and hopefully reschedule that group trip as well).

Nice pics Eddie , look like you have great time  :tu:

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 06:28:09 AM
Awesome pics my man, I'm jealous once again! Hopefully soon I'll get out there and not have to leave!
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 06:47:36 AM
That looks like a great hike!
Thanks for sharing! :tu:

Sent from a device made from star dust using tapatalk
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

au Offline DazMechanical

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 07:15:49 AM
Looks like you had a blast Eddie! :tu:
darren

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 03:08:46 PM
Thanks all!  Now just need to plan the next trip :)

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #6 on: April 11, 2015, 03:23:33 PM
Wow! Nice pics! That looks like a fun trail.
Thanks for sharing.

That's us mobile
Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #7 on: April 11, 2015, 04:23:25 PM
Great pictures mate :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: April 11, 2015, 04:27:21 PM
Glad you continued on solo, its a great time regardless as you found out.  Looks like a very cool place to spend more time exploring.  Thanks for sharing. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: April 11, 2015, 07:15:25 PM
Your hike looks interesting and thanks for posting.

I've become so concerned about water supply,especially standing water,that I've created a two step process.The first step is mechanical filtration,such as your Sawyer Mini,then I process the filtered water with ultra violet light.I feel much more comfortable that I've done everything possible to make the water completely safe for human consumption.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: April 11, 2015, 07:33:50 PM

Your hike looks interesting and thanks for posting.

I've become so concerned about water supply,especially standing water,that I've created a two step process.The first step is mechanical filtration,such as your Sawyer Mini,then I process the filtered water with ultra violet light.I feel much more comfortable that I've done everything possible to make the water completely safe for human consumption.

Yeah, I brought some Aquamira tablets as a backup measure, but the water looked pretty good (it'd rained recently) so I just went with the filter.  Maybe not the most cautious, but I'll call it a field test of the filter :)  I'll keep bringing those tablets though.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: April 11, 2015, 10:57:51 PM
Eddie,thank you for sharing! Great pics,it looked like a great trip!

Do you have any info on the castle?
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: April 11, 2015, 11:04:30 PM
Looks like a fun solo outing !

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: April 12, 2015, 06:24:29 AM

Yeah, it was built in the early 1900s by a wealthy business owner.  He brought in Scottish masons to use authentic historical techniques/styles.  It burned in the 40s, and they later turned the area into a state park.  Here's the write up read before heading down there:
http://odd.net/ozarks/parks/haha.htm
There are some cool photos there as well.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: April 12, 2015, 06:47:54 AM

Yeah, it was built in the early 1900s by a wealthy business owner.  He brought in Scottish masons to use authentic historical techniques/styles.  It burned in the 40s, and they later turned the area into a state park.  Here's the write up read before heading down there:

That's great! Thank you :salute:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: April 12, 2015, 07:16:38 AM

That's great! Thank you :salute:
No problem!  I like this stuff myself.  Spent some time researching Welsh castles a while back, and I really wanted to see this in person.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: April 12, 2015, 10:10:16 AM
Looks like another great day (and night) out. :tu:  Did you have a fire or was the fire kit just in case?
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: April 12, 2015, 03:36:34 PM
Looks like another great day (and night) out. :tu:  Did you have a fire or was the fire kit just in case?
Thanks!  It was just in case this time.  It's just always on me in the woods.  I did use the SAK on there, more than my Mora, just opening food packages and cutting cord.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%