Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Bicycle Tool Kit

us Offline Small Shiny Objects

Bicycle Tool Kit
on: April 12, 2015, 02:26:36 AM
I would like to have a basic set of tools with me when out riding around in case I need to make a quick adjustment or minor repair.  There appears to be lots of choices out there, but since I'm not a very experienced rider, I'm not sure which tools I may end up wanting.

I got all three of our bikes out the other day and it looks like Allen type wrenches would be the most beneficial to have.  Between all three bikes we had 2.5 mm, 3 mm, 4 mm, 5 mm, and 6mm size fasteners which accept Allen wrenches.  In addition there were also the standard straight blade and Philips head fasteners.

While I'm sure there are some open end wrenches and other tools that may be helpful, it appears the above Allen wrenches would be the most helpful.

I've seen various multi-tool type tools which have fold-out hex wrenches on them, but I fear they will end up being too short or not able to fit where I need them due to their specific location within the tool or the overall size of the tool itself.

Today I came across the Topeak Survival Gearbox, which is the first kit I've seen which has individual Allen wrenches in it, that can be used individually.  The kit also has a some tire patches and tire removal tools, which would be handy to have.

I'm not so sure I would ever need a chain tool that is included, as I've never used one and I would actually have to do an Internet search to see what that is used for, but before I started doing research on things I may never need, I thought I'd seek some advice here.

Are there any other emergency tool kits out there with individual tools instead of the more traditional multi-tool type sets?  Any other advice or tool recommendations from any of you more experienced bicycle riders?

au Offline Rossko07

Re: Bicycle Tool Kit
Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 05:27:39 AM
Really all you need is a flat head, a set of Allen keys and tyre levers. Most importantly are the tyre levers! Lol. A nice little tool package looking from a multitool perspective could include tyres levers, leatherman wave and bit set to suit the bikes and possibly bit extender also. Rossko

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 11:11:46 AM
The Survival Gearbox isn't all that good as the tools are pretty tiny so you'll struggle for leverage :(

The Topeak Alien series are all excellent though and if you combine that with an adjustable spanner and spare tyre levers you'll be good to go :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 11:27:07 AM
I carry a cooltool 2 plastic tyre levers and 1 metal,1 inner tube,some patches, seperate spoke key 14g,2 spare spokes ziptied to rear stay,oh and some latex gloves, :tu: there is probably other stuff in my saddle bag  :D this is my kit i carry in my camelbak while mtb'ing, plus of course a mini pump  :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%