Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What is your latest watch

dks · 988 · 61893

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Re: What is your latest watch
Reply #30 on: May 10, 2015, 06:49:11 PM
I'm still digging this DW9052 and I reiterate it is one of the most comfortable watches I own. I love everything about it! :tu:

The new Timex Ironman was nice but the romance fizzled out rather quickly. Perhaps it's too small for my wrist... just something about it I can't put my finger on.  :think:
SAW

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #31 on: May 10, 2015, 07:17:09 PM
Well, here is a mini review of the GA100 after a few weeks, functional rather than regarding toughness.

The watch is comfortable to wear and light enough.
The world time function - switching between time zones is easy but for some reason all timezones are set, default, to ignore the Daylight Saving time, so you have to go to each city in memory and tell the watch to enforce DST... I would have expected the DST time to be on, as default. I spent an hour trying to figure out why the times were wrong.....

The watch is dark and the light does not allow you to see anything but the dials, and then not very clear. I wish it had a brighter or better designed light.

The alarm works well and is loud enough.

It looks good and seems to be resistant to light bumps.

Overall, a good buy.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 07:18:34 PM by dks »
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline sawman

Reply #32 on: May 10, 2015, 07:48:19 PM
Well, here is a mini review of the GA100 after a few weeks, functional rather than regarding toughness.

The world time function - switching between time zones is easy but for some reason all timezones are set, default, to ignore the Daylight Saving time, so you have to go to each city in memory and tell the watch to enforce DST... I would have expected the DST time to be on, as default. I spent an hour trying to figure out why the times were wrong.....

The watch is dark and the light does not allow you to see anything but the dials, and then not very clear. I wish it had a brighter or better designed light.

Overall, a good buy.
Thanks for this update. I've admired that watch ever since the pic you posted. So given your positive marks I would add this to my wish list. :D
SAW

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #33 on: May 16, 2015, 06:33:54 PM
I got two more, used, Baby Gs to give for general harder use/diving etc. These are both 200m models.

One is the reasonably recent 169A and the other the much older 260 (the orange one).

as expected the 169 has a lot more functions and a fancy swimming fish graphic..

They function well but I will lubricate their gaskets before they see any heavy use.
here is a comparison picture, in case you ever wondered about how much smaller Baby  gs are:

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: May 17, 2015, 02:11:24 PM

Overall, a good buy.
Thanks for this update. I've admired that watch ever since the pic you posted. So given your positive marks I would add this to my wish list. :D

That is done with a reason - DST starts and ends at different dates in differing timezones. Some are regular and could be calculated, some dates change on a yearly basis, so it is impossible to calculate it for the time the calendar runs in your G - until 2099, I suppose.

us Offline tjfarrington2000

Reply #35 on: May 18, 2015, 06:28:12 PM

Not mine, but it's the latest one I bought. Mother's Day gift for my wife.
victorinox watches are the best

Sent from my iPhone using A box of monkeys on a treadmill and a quantum leap

us Offline sawman

Reply #36 on: May 18, 2015, 06:38:45 PM

Thank you for that input. I've had my eye on a couple Vic watches like the Maverick and Divemaster 500. I'm in no position to buy either right now but someday might give them a try :tu:
SAW

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #37 on: May 20, 2015, 03:40:14 AM
Just got my Casio DW9052. First impressions are not great and I am already debating returning it.  :(
I'm the milk man!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #38 on: May 20, 2015, 04:27:58 AM
Alright. I have calmed down a bit. I was in a bad mood when I got the watch and it was pissing me off. I still see a few possible issues though. Not quality issues, but just things that could be a major turn off for me.

Does anyone know if the DW9052-1V has multiple alarms? I can only set one.
I'm the milk man!

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #39 on: May 20, 2015, 07:03:29 AM
Alright. I have calmed down a bit. I was in a bad mood when I got the watch and it was pissing me off. I still see a few possible issues though. Not quality issues, but just things that could be a major turn off for me.

Does anyone know if the DW9052-1V has multiple alarms? I can only set one.

look at the back and in a square you will see a number.
that number shows the module that you have in your watch (The brains)

Search for Casio followed by that module and you will find the manual for your module which will list all available functions.

I think that I did suggest a Timex to someone, in case he wanted several functions a few days ago.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #40 on: May 20, 2015, 07:16:01 AM
The first thing I did was read the entire manual. Its not looking like it has a multiple alarm function. I am pretty bummed about that. My $17 AE1000w has all the same functions as the DW9052-1V as well as 5 alarms and world time selections. Kind of lame I can't have multiple alarms in this "superior" G-Shock, but my cheap Casio makes this thing look inferior. I need the multiple alarms as well it's not just like I just wan't them.
I'm the milk man!

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #41 on: May 20, 2015, 07:23:51 AM
You basically pay more for the look, the shock resistance and the water resistance.

You can get the same module in a really cheap Casio, that you get in a G-shock. The one you have is considered a classic model so I assume that it did not come with many functions in its original day.

Lowtech has some fancy models for sale

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #42 on: May 20, 2015, 07:28:25 AM
You basically pay more for the look, the shock resistance and the water resistance.

You can get the same module in a really cheap Casio, that you get in a G-shock. The one you have is considered a classic model so I assume that it did not come with many functions in its original day.

Same water resistance as the cheap AE1000w, but yes I understand what you are saying.

I know I saw all of those.  :drool:  I'm definitely not spending any money on another watch any time soon though.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: May 20, 2015, 06:13:32 PM
 I've been rocking a Casio W70 that I recently acquired. Swapped it onto my favorite velcro band and have worn it non stop.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

au Offline DazMechanical

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: May 20, 2015, 11:41:21 PM
Got this from my wife and daughter as an early Birthday present.

darren

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #45 on: May 21, 2015, 12:24:00 AM

Same water resistance as the cheap AE1000w, but yes I understand what you are saying.

I know I saw all of those.  :drool:  I'm definitely not spending any money on another watch any time soon though.

Correcting myself. The AE1000w does have half the water resistance.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline sawman

Reply #46 on: May 21, 2015, 02:51:37 AM
I'm sorry to hear you're not liking it cap'n. It happens to be my favorite CASIO but being a vintage model, it's very limited in functionality. For me, it has all the basics - alarm, timer, stopwatch. If you require multiple alarms, they make a bunch of other models with them.
SAW

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #47 on: May 21, 2015, 02:55:14 AM
I'm sorry to hear you're not liking it cap'n. It happens to be my favorite CASIO but being a vintage model, it's very limited in functionality. For me, it has all the basics - alarm, timer, stopwatch. If you require multiple alarms, they make a bunch of other models with them.

I did a opinion thread on the G-Shock in case your interested. Dont be offended when you read it.  :dwts:  :D

Its my fault about not knowing about the single alarm. I thought I read it had 5 alarm setting, but guess I was looking at so many models I got things mixed up.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #48 on: May 21, 2015, 02:21:56 PM
Got this from my wife and daughter as an early Birthday present.

Very nice!

Nate
That's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #49 on: May 27, 2015, 07:21:39 PM
I got this G-5500TS that has been with a few forum members  :D
My first limited? edition G-shock

Looks like a classic and not like you would expect a G-shock to look.

I have included 2 comparison pictures with two other Casios for size reference
IMG_0404.JPG
* IMG_0404.JPG (Filesize: 309.65 KB)
IMG_0403.JPG
* IMG_0403.JPG (Filesize: 333.81 KB)
IMG_0394.JPG
* IMG_0394.JPG (Filesize: 298.8 KB)
IMG_0399.JPG
* IMG_0399.JPG (Filesize: 314.36 KB)

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: May 27, 2015, 07:49:39 PM
Extend my greetings to this nice little watch! I remember it well.  ;)
Nice choice and you helped out a Forumite.  :tu:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #51 on: May 27, 2015, 07:51:47 PM
I will give the watch your love..  :pok: Hopefully it will be joined by more of its friends soon  :D

nl Offline Serena

• No Life Club
Reply #52 on: May 30, 2015, 07:17:02 AM
Bought an Apple Watch last week…

Choose the lime green band.

But then I could buy a white band for a good price.
Also looks nice!!!

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #53 on: May 30, 2015, 07:59:21 AM
Nice. I think the white band looks nicer, but maybe it will depend on what colour clothes you are wearing

nl Offline Serena

• No Life Club
Reply #54 on: May 30, 2015, 08:07:56 AM

Nice. I think the white band looks nicer, but maybe it will depend on what colour clothes you are wearing
The white is more classy, that's true. But the lime is just a happy color.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #55 on: May 30, 2015, 07:37:19 PM
Bought today, given as present.  cool!
IMG_20150530_122013.jpg
* IMG_20150530_122013.jpg (Filesize: 44.38 KB)

nl Offline Serena

• No Life Club
Reply #56 on: May 30, 2015, 11:10:23 PM

Bought today, given as present.  cool!
One happy kid there!!!

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #57 on: May 30, 2015, 11:19:32 PM
I would wear one myself if it was a bit bigger  :D

us Offline tjfarrington2000

Reply #58 on: June 12, 2015, 05:00:32 PM

Thank you for that input. I've had my eye on a couple Vic watches like the Maverick and Divemaster 500. I'm in no position to buy either right now but someday might give them a try :tu:
the victorinox watches use an ETA Swiss mechanism in most of their hand-wind or automatic watches, very common, since making an in-house movement jacks the final price of the watch up two times, or more. But ETA movements are very high quality.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #59 on: June 24, 2015, 02:17:07 PM
Here is an update on my two, regular use watches, the Casio GA100 and the Timex T49969, mentioned previously.

The main difference, really, is that the Casio sets the time displayed by the dials electronically, so you can set them to the second, and they are run by the same mechanism as the rest of the watch.
The Timex uses a crown to adjust the analogue time, and this is totally independent from the digital display- you set another time on the digital display, which can be used for the alarms.

The GA100 is my heavy use watch which I wear when I know it will get dirty or wet. still works fine and the soft rubber outer casing absorbs bumps. Sweat, mud, wash off with no problems. The plastic strap is not ideal for really hot climates...

The T49969 is, to me, more dressy. I also like the fact that it is lighter and has a better light than the Casio. The dials are luminous, so most time you do not even need a light. Good alarm, clear, useful screen.

It has a hard plastic casing which looks like it will be easily scratched (some minute damage already).
I like the leather strap, I actually bought it for the retro look of the strap and the crown, but it does mean in my experience that it can not be used in the sea (or even get wet too much)

Basically any salt, or even sweat.., will leave a salt mark/stain on the strap that will be hard/impossible to remove (I know that from timberland shoes - similar leather). Note that the strap will cost about the same as the watch  :D So the 200m water pressure rating is academic for that watch... 
Still I like wearing it and have been wearing it more than the Casio, in this hot weather.

Oh, my "Casio" has lost only about 3 minutes since I got it, and works very well - I use it when I would worry about damaging a more expensive watch, like when doing a barbecue.

I have other watches, which I just wear on the odd occasion

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%