Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman ST 200

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Leatherman ST 200
on: July 30, 2008, 04:17:37 PM
Ok here's my review of the LM ST200 :)

Initial Thought's

Ok well this isn't my tool, it's Grant's so this will be a visual impression review backed by my experiences with the earlier LM Supertool, as the BO finish is too good to spoil :)

Build Quality

Pretty good, certainly better than some of there new tool's  I've handled, there's precious little corossion despite it's age, which I'm sure the BO finish has gone someway to helping :), there's still the niggle of clumping but that was a common feature of most earlier generation MT's so it's not really a fault per se :)

The lock's initial I was dead against, as they felt really awkward in use, but once I developed the technique of rolling the locks, rather than tying to pull them, I quickly warmed to them :), and they are a truly MASSIVE improvement on the frankly stupid locking system found on the original Supertool :)

Pliers

Now these promise to be every bit as strong as the ones found on my old Supertool (hardly surprising as there probably the same :D) like wise the reach is great too :), as is comfort, the rounded in edge's make it even more comfortable than my Core's, I think this is the only LM of this generation that did not to suffer from the infamous ''bites the hand that feed's it syndrome'' :)

Individual Tool's

Knives

The main, plain edged blade is probably familiar to most of you, but this one oddly enough hasn't got truly parallel grind's which although odd, doesn't interfere with using the blade at all :). Now the serrated Sheepsfoot is a marked improvement on the one found on the original Supertool, which was frankly a pretty poor design for a serrated blade, whereas the one found on the ST200 can safely be imployed as a rescue style blade, with little risk to the victim :)

Saw Blade

This, just like the one found on the Supertool, is a little on the weedy side, yes it'll get the job done, but given it's pull cut only, and the narrow, shallow teeth it takes some time to cut through most wood's and probably will clog just as quickly as it's predecesor :-\

Metal File/Saw

I always did like this file, fairly fine teeth on the one side and pretty course on the other :), and if I remember rightly the old one I had, had little trouble cutting through a padlock I'd lost the key for :)

Can/Bottle Opener

This is the minimum size that this style of can openner needs to be in order to work properly (other manufactures please take note) it definetely would seem to work better than the useless effort on the current Charges (again my opinion so don't burn the heretic :o).

Screwdriver's

As with most tool's of this generation, you'll never be short a flat screwdriver :D 3 of them to be precise, and to there credit they do have good reach, as does the phillips so it's quite a nice balance of tool's for your average MT user :)

Awl

I'm not the biggest fan of LM awl's to be honest, and this on is no exception, it's blunt, which while easily remedied, why should it be up to the owner to do it?, and why such a dull, blunt tip, I didn't like them when I had it on my Supertool, and age hasn't softened my view :(

Conclusions

Of all the old style, pre Swisstool tools that I've handled, this is by far the most capable, in fact in terms of sheer utility it doesn't give away much to it's more modern counter part's, infact I actually prefere it to the Core as although it obviously gives some strength, it is a much smaller, more wearable package :)

So if you looking for a hard use tool built to 'old school' principles look no further :), get yourself a nice clean one, and it should serve you well for years to come :)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 06:54:05 PM by micky d »
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Re: Leatherman ST 200
Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 04:18:55 PM
Thanks again to Grant for the loan of the tool  :cheers: :cheers:

And for those that are wondering, that Louise Redknapp in the background :drool:
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 04:25:45 PM by micky d »

Offline Hoghead

Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 04:00:07 AM
Nice review, thanks!

I agree of course. I gave one of these to each of my grandsons when they turned thirteen. The ones I gave away weren't BO. I kept them for myself.  :D

I even gave one to a 60 something year old sister-in-law. She actually wanted a Leatherman tool and I had a few of these at the time. She loves it.

They really are a good tool.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 04:43:18 AM
 :cheers: Good review there Micky D there was another LM in that generation with the same comfort handles the little brother to the ST 200 the LM Pulse ::) Other than that I think the review was well thought out and wrote kudos again mate :salute: Never had a ST 200 but I would love to own 1 since it is so much like the Pulse :D Plus the BO on this is looks great :drool:

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 04:55:51 AM
Very nice review, mate! It was a great read!  :)
B

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 07:14:54 AM
Nice write up. Enjoyed the pictures too! (It took me a moment to see the tool at first though........a problem when you make the background more interesting than the main subject!) :D
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 08:21:06 AM
Nice write up. Enjoyed the pictures too! (It took me a moment to see the tool at first though........a problem when you make the background more interesting than the main subject!) :D
Well it was too bright out side, and too dark inside, so I had to 'adapt and overcome' :D

Thanks for your comments guys :)

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 02:06:40 PM
Nice review buddy.  :)

I have to say, I prefer the original Supertool. :)
I'm back!!

Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 07:20:04 PM

It is a lot more comfortable in use than the old ST though :)

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 07:26:25 PM

I never really thought the original was that uncomfortable TBH, and when I had my Pulse I found the locks dug in your hands when in use.  Plus, I never liked the lock design either.
I'm back!!

Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 07:29:03 PM

I never really thought the original was that uncomfortable TBH, and when I had my Pulse I found the locks dug in your hands when in use.  Plus, I never liked the lock design either.
I can remember the original ST really biting me when using it hard, the ST200 is a massive improvement in my opinion, but you are right if you forget to orientate the locks away from your palm, it will chew your hands to bits :(

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: August 01, 2008, 04:27:35 AM

::) :o ;) :D

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #12 on: August 01, 2008, 03:54:14 PM

I knew when you wrote this those half moon locks were at the heart of it, as confirmed with your latter post. So from know on I am calling those locks(on Pulse/ST200) "Benlocks"  :pok::D

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: August 01, 2008, 09:25:04 PM

I knew when you wrote this those half moon locks were at the heart of it, as confirmed with your latter post. So from know on I am calling those locks(on Pulse/ST200) "Benlocks"  :pok::D

:D :D

I'm back!!

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #14 on: August 02, 2008, 01:34:54 PM
Nice review Mike  :D The ST 200 is a very interesting tool that addresses alot of the originals problems .

Dunc

Reply #15 on: August 02, 2008, 07:11:06 PM
Thanks mate :)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: August 03, 2008, 04:52:09 AM

"Benlocks" :think: that has a certain ring to it  ::) :D yep that sounds about right :cheers:

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: August 03, 2008, 06:31:37 PM
I can't remember if you are a lanyard guy Mike........?   (have you noticed the ST200's secret lanyard attachment?) 8)

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: August 03, 2008, 09:18:01 PM
I can't remember if you are a lanyard guy Mike........?   (have you noticed the ST200's secret lanyard attachment?) 8)

is it hidden like the 1 on the Pulse? if so they hid it very well that some ppl have a hard time finding them :P but It is a good lanyard ring when you have it out ;)

Reply #19 on: August 03, 2008, 11:42:54 PM

Yes I am, and yes I did :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75