Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman quality control.

us Offline BASguy

Re: Leatherman quality control.
Reply #90 on: May 22, 2015, 09:58:50 PM

I was about to say "The Wave doesn't cost $90."

But, my benchmark price for it, at Home Depot, yep. Wow. When the smurf did THAT happen?

I guess that shows how close i pay attention to retail prices of full size tools.  :shrug:
I was curious as to why you didn't think price was an issue in your comments?  Now it makes sense.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

us Offline BASguy

Reply #91 on: May 22, 2015, 10:03:28 PM

[/quote]
Dump all the BS MT s and focus on perfecting the wave and Supertool.
[/quote]

I'm not sure I'm on board with dump everything, but a strong focus on the 2 flagship offerings to bring them to a quality level on par with Vic would be a great idea. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #92 on: May 22, 2015, 10:08:59 PM
I'm sure Leatherman must still have all the tooling for past classics.

Why don't they re-release??

Pretty sure the Genus, Sideclip & Minitool would still sell even today.
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #93 on: May 25, 2015, 12:34:30 AM
I've said plenty of times before, I have had more than my fair share of quality issues with Leatherman, and actually came to believe for a while that any "B Grade" goods in the factory were destined for overseas sale rather than rejected or rectified. These days I just think they're bloody sloppy  ::) The first two tools I bought of theirs were unquestionably defective (not just design issues), and I have had others since then, and heard of plenty more.

I DO NOT associate the brand name with a high quality reliable product!

I have several Leatherman tools that I own, like and use. These tend to be older models (from back when they cared about quality), or ones where I have done some modification. If I was to look for a new multitool for someone today the first brands I would consider are Victorinox and Gerber.

Victorinox does occasionally let the odd lemon out of the factory, but these are rare. Gerber are more hit and miss with their QA, probably on a par with Leatherman in my opinion, but their tools are often better priced, and generally offer better value for money in my opinion. As for SOG, my current perspective is that the odds of them getting something right, is about on a par with the odds of Victorinox getting something wrong.

:salute:

SOG has really disappointed me lately, and by lately I mean the last few years.  Their tools just don't do it for me.  They seem to be entirely built around the compound leverage mechanism, and it's like they ran out of R&D money after they came up with that so the rest of the design was thrown together willy nilly. 

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #94 on: May 25, 2015, 03:09:14 AM
SOG has really disappointed me lately, and by lately I mean the last few years.  Their tools just don't do it for me.  They seem to be entirely built around the compound leverage mechanism, and it's like they ran out of R&D money after they came up with that so the rest of the design was thrown together willy nilly.

I was just telling my husband today that it feels to me like SOGs are incredibly well manufactured, and incredibly poorly designed, which is a bad combination. What's the point of flawless execution of poor design? And yes, I'm 100% with the notion that the compound leverage system is very well done. Then everything thing else falls to crap.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #95 on: May 25, 2015, 03:30:11 AM
Yesterday for the first time I use SOG can opener, what a horrible thing it was!
It opened the can but created a huge mess when doing so.
Maybe I was doing it wrong?  :think:
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #96 on: May 25, 2015, 04:17:12 AM
Yesterday for the first time I use SOG can opener, what a horrible thing it was!
It opened the can but created a huge mess when doing so.
Maybe I was doing it wrong?  :think:

Nope. The SOG can opener is just a complete POS. Search 'Can Opener Test' or 'SOG Can Opener' on these boards. you're not the first to bring up how bad it is.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $160.46
PayPal Fees: $9.45
Net Balance: $151.01
Below Goal: $148.99
Site Currency: USD
50%