Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox Factory 93mm ALOX w/ scissors!!!!! [UPDATE]

SAK Guy · 581 · 73140

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Victorinox Factory 93mm ALOX w/ scissors!!!!! [UPDATE]
Reply #510 on: March 14, 2016, 03:39:03 PM
When they release a X with black scales and red shield, I'll jump the train.

I'd definitely buy that one. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #511 on: March 14, 2016, 04:13:40 PM

+1K!!!!!!
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #512 on: March 14, 2016, 04:15:53 PM

+1K!!!!!!

+2K !!!!!

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #513 on: March 14, 2016, 05:27:35 PM

+1K!!!!!!

+2K !!!!!
+3K :)

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk
K-Tibbs

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #514 on: March 14, 2016, 05:29:56 PM

>:D
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #515 on: March 14, 2016, 05:31:36 PM
Question: will those with modded Pioneers with scissors be picking up a Pioneer X? Will you be do it for better fit and finish? Collectability?

--
Sent from mobile, please excuse typos

I want one to just have in the collection, but since Ive made a few hundred of these and was used to the nail nick on the proper side, my OCD isnt letting me like the way they did it on the new model.  Hardly a deal breaker though, but I prefer it on the normal side for sure.

As far as fit and finish the ones I produced are higher than stock, but thats because they arent going to spend time to polish all the parts like I do when assembling.  But as a stock model, pioneer with scissors was a smart move.  I should go back and find all the quotes where they said it would never happen...   :whistle:
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #516 on: March 14, 2016, 05:45:47 PM
Now what would be really excellent would be for them to do a Black w/ Red shield Farmer X   :drool:

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #517 on: March 14, 2016, 05:59:03 PM
Now what would be really excellent would be for them to do a Black w/ Red shield Farmer X   :drool:

Im sure they will roll out new models in stages to make sure everyone buys them all.  :D
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

fr Offline jcfiguet

Reply #518 on: March 14, 2016, 06:07:18 PM

Im sure they will roll out new models in stages to make sure everyone buys them all.  :D

Of course ! business is business !!!

But... They waited more than 20 years to make an alox with scisors... They can wait 20 year more to make a pioneer with scisors and a saw or a colored Pioneer X or else...

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #519 on: March 14, 2016, 06:31:37 PM
We don't get screwed on SAKs down here like everything else, thanks Stan the MAN!

Equivalent of $45 for a Pioneer X is reasonable considering the exchange rate mess we in.

fr Offline jcfiguet

Reply #520 on: March 14, 2016, 06:52:38 PM
We don't get screwed on SAKs down here like everything else, thanks Stan the MAN!

Equivalent of $45 for a Pioneer X is reasonable considering the exchange rate mess we in.

$ 45 is the public price

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #521 on: March 14, 2016, 06:57:22 PM
We usually suck the hind tit and pay full recommended retail plus import and duties.
This is fair!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #522 on: March 14, 2016, 07:34:38 PM
Farmer X or if they would rerelease it a Electrician Plus X :drool:

gb Offline user24

• SAK collector and all-purpose geek
Reply #523 on: March 16, 2016, 01:04:56 PM
Got mine today. Can't quite work out a nice way of opening the scissors that's not cack-handed ???

Super strong snap which is nice.

It's super heavy too; 10g heavier than the farmer.

How does the spring compare to your design Syph?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 01:06:39 PM by user24 »
"Nothing endures but change" - Heraclitus.

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #524 on: March 16, 2016, 01:10:26 PM
Got mine today. Can't quite work out a nice way of opening the scissors that's not cack-handed ???

I was just about to ask how people are finding the new nail nick position.  Does it seem like it would be more ergonomic if it were on the "normal" side like 91mm scissors?

Offline filleep

Reply #525 on: March 16, 2016, 01:42:05 PM
 I have the new one and one  made by syph.
Syphs Spring is firmer, and to beats alox for me.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #526 on: March 16, 2016, 07:35:34 PM

The spring shapes at the scissors pivot end is the same as mine, there really is only one way to do it.  at the other end where the scissors rest is fully enclosed though where mine was open since I modeled it off a solo spring and that is how they were designed.

Im not a fan of the nail nick and Im not sure I understand the reasoning they provided.  If they only did it to have workers not mix them up at the factory that seems wrong to me to compromise the way users are accustomed to opening the tool, when they could have distinguished them another way.  My theory is they wanted them easily distinguished as vic factory ones vs modded ones.

de Offline windson

• Observe - Evaluate - Control
Reply #527 on: March 16, 2016, 08:08:13 PM

The spring shapes at the scissors pivot end is the same as mine, there really is only one way to do it.  at the other end where the scissors rest is fully enclosed though where mine was open since I modeled it off a solo spring and that is how they were designed.

Im not a fan of the nail nick and Im not sure I understand the reasoning they provided.  If they only did it to have workers not mix them up at the factory that seems wrong to me to compromise the way users are accustomed to opening the tool, when they could have distinguished them another way.  My theory is they wanted them easily distinguished as vic factory ones vs modded ones.

But WHY does the nick have to go across the grind? That's just bad sight on the part of whoever signed it off.

Might as well get a Pioneer X and have Syph install PROPER scissors...  :pok:

On an (even) more serious note, is the nick harder to reach on the side it is now?

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #528 on: March 16, 2016, 10:46:33 PM

But WHY does the nick have to go across the grind? That's just bad sight on the part of whoever signed it off.

Might as well get a Pioneer X and have Syph install PROPER scissors...  :pok:

On an (even) more serious note, is the nick harder to reach on the side it is now?

Yes I just looked at that, there is a wee bit less space on the side they did it. 

Like I said before though Im happy to have a set of scissors with the nail nick on this side so I can put scissors on my OHO trekker... My theory was they were intending a factory version of that mod too.... so maybe.  Its seems very weird to me to retool to make this new set of scissors just to have the nick moved with the normal standard 91mm scissors they already make would be fine.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 10:52:45 PM by Syph007 »

00 Offline papercut

• No Life Club
Reply #529 on: March 18, 2016, 09:43:21 AM
I preordered 2 via cutlery shoppe but they said it had been delayed a bit to the USA (for later delivery to me in Asia).   I do have a TI Syph Urban P model that I was lucky enough to win. However, I have babied it and not carried it much.  Now that a stock model is out, I may have to carry Syphs more normal like.

I wonder if the X is in Asia yet?
Lurking with a large collection of sharp knives!

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #530 on: March 18, 2016, 09:48:16 AM
The X just got today to Romania... in no hurry to get one though... they should pop up soon from TSA  >:D
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #531 on: March 30, 2016, 05:59:53 PM
Yes I just looked at that, there is a wee bit less space on the side they did it. 

Like I said before though Im happy to have a set of scissors with the nail nick on this side so I can put scissors on my OHO trekker... My theory was they were intending a factory version of that mod too.... so maybe.  Its seems very weird to me to retool to make this new set of scissors just to have the nick moved with the normal standard 91mm scissors they already make would be fine.

I finally got a Pioneer X and I really don't like the moved nail nick.  As a right-handed person, I find that whether I open the scissors with my thumbnail or index fingernail, I have to be careful to avoid catching the opposite digit with the points of the scissors.  That's never a problem with the normal 91mm sissors.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #532 on: March 30, 2016, 06:47:08 PM

I finally got a Pioneer X and I really don't like the moved nail nick.  As a right-handed person, I find that whether I open the scissors with my thumbnail or index fingernail, I have to be careful to avoid catching the opposite digit with the points of the scissors.  That's never a problem with the normal 91mm sissors.

Yep its annoying.  I am so used to opening scissors the other way I dont like this style.  I know Im not the target market though so its fine.  I will just be using these for OHO trekker mods as its a dream for that purpose.

ch Offline jaydar

Reply #533 on: March 30, 2016, 11:54:52 PM

Yep its annoying.  I am so used to opening scissors the other way I dont like this style.  I know Im not the target market though so its fine.  I will just be using these for OHO trekker mods as its a dream for that purpose.

It just feels wrong I know what I prefer ... and it came from Canada :)

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #534 on: March 31, 2016, 11:34:02 AM
I'm used to carrying a compact or climber and find myself trying 2-3 times before I realise there is no nick on that side.
But a good solid piece of kit,

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Reply #535 on: April 05, 2016, 02:50:44 AM

COMING TO THE U.S. If you're in the U.S. and haven't got yours yet (or want more) I will have them available in May. You can pre-order now:http://www.edcsource.com/listing/victorinox-pioneer-x-swiss-army-knife-new-issue/119675
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 03:05:26 AM by Syph007 »
T

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #536 on: April 05, 2016, 02:06:28 PM
My first thoughts were that the nail nick would not be an issue, but after using it I think it's one of Vic's biggest design mistakes in a while. Putting it on the wrong side is not only counter-intuitive for regular SAK users, but it puts the nick very close to the can opener and partially hidden by it. If they would have left it on the traditional side, the width of the lower jaw spaces it away from the main blade nicely, making it more accessible (which is obviously right on the customs). So if manufacturing scissors with the nick on the wrong side was what delayed the introduction of this otherwise fine tool, then I would say it's a big OOPS! for Vic.

:oops:
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 244.28 KB)
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 154.18 KB)

au Offline Brock O Lee

Reply #537 on: April 05, 2016, 02:24:16 PM
I agree that I like the nail nick on the back of the 91mm scissors better. There is more space to access it, and it would have created a consistent user experience across the 91mm and 93mm knives.

But, it is not a deal breaker IMO. I've been using my Pioneer X for the last 3 weeks. I like it, and I am used to it now. It's great to have scissors on the alox frame. If Victorinox move these new scissors to the 111mm linerlocks, I will forgive their  :oops: completely.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 02:31:29 PM by Brock O Lee »
Hans

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Reply #538 on: April 05, 2016, 02:29:12 PM
Perhaps the nailnick is uncomfortable but is the price you have to pay as an alternative to a custom Pioneer X  :think:

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Reply #539 on: April 05, 2016, 02:31:34 PM
You can always open the can opener to access easier to the scissors  :whistle:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34