Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Hercules: Who has one

us Offline parman53

• I Can Fix Anything
Hercules: Who has one
on: June 17, 2015, 03:23:04 PM
I was looking at lock blade SAK's on that site and spotted the Hercules model. Never noticed them before and wondered how many of you have one. Looks pretty bulky for a EDC but has lot of useful tools. Anyone have one and like it?

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Re: Hercules: Who has one
Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 03:37:52 PM
The Herculese used to be the top dog until Vic introduced the Workchamp.

If you don't consider the metal file/saw as necessary then the Herculese will serve you well.If you find the metal file/saw a needed tool,then the Workchamp is your better bet.

Then there is the Workchamp XL with 10 layers of tools.Although many consider it impractical because of its size,it certainly is an exercise in Vic's knife building skills.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 03:45:27 PM
My Hercs ride in pouches and they pack a lot of utility!!!! Love 'em!!
Herc ASH.JPG
* Herc ASH.JPG (Filesize: 137.05 KB)
herc and stogie.JPG
* herc and stogie.JPG (Filesize: 117.71 KB)
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 04:08:40 PM
I have one dressed in black scales. It's my go to camping knife but far too much of a lump for EDC. Would be good in a bag/pack, but not in a pocket.

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 04:27:05 PM
I just got mine last weekend from my wife for our anniversary, so I don't have a lot of practical usage yet.  But I've been eyeing it for a long time, and plan to keep it with my Jeep kit until I go hiking then take it with me there (either in my pack on in a belt sheath).  Like you mentioned, too bulky for edc or pocket carry, but definitely has its uses.

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 07:22:02 PM
I have one and love it. I carry it more in the car glovebox than in my pants pocket but when I have carried it in my pocket, it wasn't as bulky as I thought it would be. The pliers, saw, small philips screwdriver all have come in handy!
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

Offline bigz89

Reply #6 on: June 18, 2015, 02:58:15 AM
I have one and love it, so handy. I keep it in thr console of my suv so always handy.keep in a leather sheath.

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #7 on: June 18, 2015, 10:56:08 AM
Good sheath tool, the smaller Phillips is awesome and scissors come in handy.
Cant carry one unless its on the belt.

us Offline Luna Knife

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: June 18, 2015, 01:57:41 PM
My 111mm Rucksack or 111mm Hunter ride easier in the pocket because of the bulk and weight but I do sometimes pocket carry my Hercules.

It is a fine tool and the pliers are great for removing caterpillers from the garden   

au Offline Grass

• First, we take Manhattan
Reply #9 on: June 18, 2015, 02:44:59 PM
I've had one for a few years but find the bulk too much for an EDC. Most of the tools are exactly as found on the 91mm models, which limits the value I see in it over, say, the swisschamp.

I'd like to one day see Victorinox utilise the potential that comes with the 111mm size similar to they do with the newer models (eg. Trekker; Rescue Tool; Soldier) except in saks with this number of layers.

us Offline parman53

• I Can Fix Anything
Reply #10 on: June 18, 2015, 03:21:38 PM
Sounds like most are happy with them. Maybe I'll keep my eye open for a deal. The secret is patience ;)

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #11 on: October 29, 2015, 02:59:55 AM
Gonna zombie up another thread on the Hercules. 

Rather late for the party since it's only a month or so ago that the local shop near my office stocked up on 111mm SAK's -- particularly the big ones like this (they didn't even get a Workchamp).  I would have loved to see scissors on one of the liner lock models.  Not sure how feasible that is though.

So far it has everything that I need without being as heavy as a Spirit or RS (relegated to bag carry).

IMG_1483.JPG
* IMG_1483.JPG (Filesize: 229.58 KB)

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: October 29, 2015, 03:35:01 AM
Hercs rock!!!!!!  I have a couple and think they are great "all in ones" for a pack or gear bag.
Herc ASH.jpg
* Herc ASH.jpg (Filesize: 129.67 KB)
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #13 on: October 29, 2015, 04:14:57 AM
I have one now and also now have a Workchamp, Outrider and Fireman!  I am looking to use one on hikes and most likely will be in bag unless I use the Outrider, it isn't bad to carry in a cargo pocket of my shorts but the others will be too bulky and heavy I think!  :)

I am thinking about getting a pouch to carry the Workchamp on my belt and put a MT in my bag.  I will most likely have an Explorer in my cargo pocket when hiking.  That is what I am thinking so far!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 04:17:44 AM by sir_mike »

us Offline leathermon

• Better to have a tool, than be a tool.
Reply #14 on: October 29, 2015, 04:37:17 AM
This might be a silly comment, but if it's so big not to be a pocket carry. Why not go with a swisstool or leatherman and get full size pliers?

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #15 on: October 29, 2015, 05:20:51 AM
This might be a silly comment, but if it's so big not to be a pocket carry. Why not go with a swisstool or leatherman and get full size pliers?

For me, I will have a MT as well for the pliers to accompany the sak as the sak saw is a must for me on hikes.  :)

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #16 on: October 29, 2015, 06:08:53 AM

It's a very valid comment  :cheers:

I first got a Swisstool Spirit and tried to pocket carry it.  Small as it is, I found it quite heavy.  I also don't really need full sized pliers everyday (and if I did, the Swisstools were in the bag anyway) so I might as well just get a SAK.  The Hercules is also priced 42% lower than a Spirit so it's financially lighter on the pocket too, should something happen to it.

I wear chino pants or colored denims to work and the 111mm SAK comfortably goes to the front pocket along with my wallet.

Since I've got a wallet full of plastic cards (loyalty cards, membership, social security, license, etc), it's just as thick as the Hercules.  This keeps the Hercules vertical.

....and that thickened wallet prevents people from thinking if that's my tool or if that's my tool based on the front pocket.  :whistle: :rofl:

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #17 on: October 29, 2015, 10:14:42 AM
I think we have had this question before - And I think I gave the same answer....

This guy likes his....

Really excellent review - Quite long but full of good content (unlike you know who!)
.... Watch the whole review to see how (he thinks) the Herc compares to a Wave !!!

Just like PTR - Very much focussed on Bushcraft/Camping

And I want one - Or maybe a Workchamp??
Those long tools are great - And if you don't need full pliers - Much better than a PB multi.

us Offline leathermon

• Better to have a tool, than be a tool.
Reply #18 on: October 29, 2015, 10:51:29 AM
If the Hercules is too big, you might want to look at the outrider. It doesn't have the pliers, but i don't find the size too big to pocket carry.

00 Offline Jan

Reply #19 on: October 29, 2015, 07:08:42 PM
I have a workchamp since the price difference was so negligible (compared to a herc). Its one of my favorite SAK's, i can really recommend the big 111 victorinox. And yes, i do edc my workchamp.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: October 30, 2015, 01:35:55 AM
If the Hercules is too big, you might want to look at the outrider. It doesn't have the pliers, but i don't find the size too big to pocket carry.

:tu:  Didn't have an Outrider so just snagged one for the collection.
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #21 on: October 30, 2015, 06:39:58 AM
Here's something I'm glad they did with the Hercules -- have a corkscrew instead of a Philips. 
1) well, first it would have been redundant
2) if not for anything, it's a good holster for the eyeglass driver.

It turns out that aside from glasses, there are stuff out there which need the very small driver.
IMG_1485.JPG
* IMG_1485.JPG (Filesize: 150.47 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $56.34
PayPal Fees: $2.74
Net Balance: $53.60
Below Goal: $246.40