Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Anyone watch the tv show Alone? [SPOILERS!]

Aloha · 911 · 34967

us Offline 4everYoung

Re: Anyone watch the tv show Alone? [SPOILERS!]
Reply #570 on: July 01, 2017, 11:42:51 AM
I told my wife during the preseason show that the young guys would drop quickly. They didn't seem to have mentally prepared  as much as they had practiced their other skills.

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #571 on: July 01, 2017, 02:11:28 PM
This has little to do with Alone except perhaps the mentality of the younger guys on the show...

A friend of mine from US came to Croatia for 3 weeks. 29 years old, rented an apartment, first day I told her where she can get what she needs, how to get around and where the major sights are in the city because I had some other things that needed to be taken care of urgently.
In 3 days she didn't see much and got food poisoning from some fast food place.

Now the main issue here is that I've explained things beforehand several times. If you don't know how to cook, look at where the locals are going to eat or go to the store and get one of those "just add to boiling water" things. If you're unsure where the sights are, there are big  brown posts with arrows pointing you towards 'em. In case you get disorientated, the mountain is to the north and that will help tremendously.
So in the age where wireless internet and smartphones are everywhere, where a lot of people talk at least passable english to help you out, where you have most conveniences at your fingertip, some people are just incompetent or easily overwhelmed.

Problem being that doing these things - going out in the wilderness with bare necessities, traveling the world alone and similar things are done to show one's independence and capabilities. What would have happened if this wasn't a show, if there wasn't an evacuation team? Some people like to test themselves in similar ways with very little in terms of a safety net.

Perhaps we all should be more honest with what are our limitations. For example:
I for one know that I haven't done an overnighter in a long time and getting back to it will take some adjusting. The more I learn, the more I realize how lacking some of my skills are because they are either dependent resources, too theoretical or just rusted over. Still nothing that can't be overcome with a little bit of time and easing into it.
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

ca Offline JP

Reply #572 on: July 03, 2017, 06:31:28 PM
Unexpected Injuries. No one has a secret ability to avoid them. Slips and falls like the one that took the brothers out can happen to anybody. I can't fault him for tapping out.

I think the married couple have the best shot from the 3 episodes I have seen.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #573 on: July 05, 2017, 04:15:35 PM
What would have happened if this wasn't a show, if there wasn't an evacuation team? Some people like to test themselves in similar ways with very little in terms of a safety net.

I binge-watched EP00-03 this weekend, and that's the first thing that really annoyed, the additional safety teams along the hiking route.

I'll watch for sure for the sake of the previous seasons, but I believe they've smurfed the concept.

I'll also take this opportunity to heap very high heaps  of scorn on the nancy-boy tappers-outers, and challenge the chokers to come do an African hiking trail........complete with med-evac, but only once you're hurt  :twak:

ca Offline JP

Reply #574 on: July 07, 2017, 05:03:29 PM
The married couple have met up. Lucky man

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #575 on: July 07, 2017, 06:05:03 PM
So have the father / son duo. 

The Southern brothers were shown finding each other in week 3.

The Canadian brothers not yet.  The hiker is struggling due to lack of food intake but has maintained positive outlook.   

They still have not shown Brook eating. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

• No Life Club
Reply #576 on: July 10, 2017, 09:25:00 AM
Now the politics of who does what starts.....

8-9 days to hike 10 miles........hectic terrain 

hr Offline styx

Reply #577 on: July 10, 2017, 02:02:26 PM
that equals out to just over a mile a day. that is horrible terrain.

we ran a few tests here and on a maintained trail with a 10 degree incline I can cover 3km or 1.86411 miles in half an hour (I volunteered to be the guinea pig). The issue is that I've burned up about 500 calories in those 30 minutes. While that does depend on the weight of the person hiking it is still a lot. So who knows what kind of energy expenditure these guys have on that terrain.

Just to give some perspective I'm 187cm / 6'1.5 tall, leg length is 89cm / 35inch, shoe size is 47 european / 12ish UK / 13ish US (depends on the manufacturer, model and all that jive talk), walk just under 102kg / 225lbs and the tests were done in fair weather between 32°C / 89.6°F and 36°C / 96.8°F

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #578 on: July 10, 2017, 04:15:29 PM
Add in the 60lb bag they carry and the obvious disorientation, stress, excitement, constantly being wet, etc etc.  I don't think that hike was at all an easy one. 

I am very interested I watching the dynamics of the teams.  Food will be a huge issue and the stresses that come with finding it.   
Esse Quam Videri

hr Offline styx

Reply #579 on: July 10, 2017, 05:09:54 PM
Add in the 60lb bag they carry and the obvious disorientation, stress, excitement, constantly being wet, etc etc.  I don't think that hike was at all an easy one. 

I am very interested I watching the dynamics of the teams.  Food will be a huge issue and the stresses that come with finding it.   

Tell me about it. Perhaps we could repeat the tests with a bag

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #580 on: July 11, 2017, 02:02:00 AM
Now the politics of who does what starts.....

8-9 days to hike 10 miles........hectic terrain
I would guess that if 10 miles from campsite, and with terrain observed the actual travel distance could be double or more actual distance walked (hiked).

Knowing what each hiker endured to reach the camp site, it will be very interesting what the actual reaction will be as to work completed by their partner. 

Brook has appeared to have done best. The other three not so much, almost like they were waiting for the reunion before establishing camp.

Food is the major factor, with a eagle near along with a wolf, small game and fish must in the area.

The bear scat inspected by Sam's dad indicated crab and other crustaceans and berries near.

Not sure about the other camps, need more info. 

I am afraid this maybe a shorter season for two camps.  JMHO. 

Hope yours is as good!

• No Life Club
Reply #581 on: July 12, 2017, 09:09:50 AM
The bag does change everything, we were discussing that (again) last Sunday while hiking.....I was detailing all the reason why I should buy a 45L daypack.

If I carry that on the hikes with 10L additional water in for weight, the exercise is exponentially more.

They do have basic rations? From experience I know I can work hard on very little food, but there must be something to get my blood sugar up a bit or I suffer.
I'm 6'5 and currently over 130Kg.

Add to that a fear of heights, not debilitating but there, increased by the slippery conditions......I would not be happy there.

hr Offline styx

Reply #582 on: July 12, 2017, 10:37:18 AM
I'm not sure anyone would be happy there. We didn't get a bag but a quick test with 1 degree of extra incline, same speed, this time in 20 minutes resulted in over 70 extra calories. Taken all things into consideration it would mean 1058 calories in a single hour. With the added weight, who knows how many calories that would roughly be. And we often take those things for granted while not considering this - an espresso without sugar is 9 calories, 100 grams of trout is about 190 calories. Coffees most drink are caloric bombs that would be appreciated out there. On the other hand the hikers would need to eat 1kg (about 2.2lbs) of trout for every 2 hours of hiking and they would still be in a deficit

• No Life Club
Reply #583 on: July 12, 2017, 10:14:52 PM
Easiest way is walk the dogs around the block (about 5km) with 2 x 10kg dumbbells in a backpack, get home, take off the backpack and feel like a ballerina  :cheers:

Yes indeed.... :rofl: 

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #584 on: July 12, 2017, 10:36:43 PM
Also, it did appear they were making the trek in muck boots or other type rubber high calf style with no laces, just slip on. 
That IMHO makes it more difficult. 
Back when younger I would winter hunt in insulated RedBall rubber boots that laced, it seem so much more effort. When I stopped growing I was allowed a good pair of leather hiking boots 11" high, I thought that I was a big boy then.   

Hope yours is as good!

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #585 on: July 12, 2017, 10:40:54 PM
PS: Cold and wet will burn more calories too. 

I bet where they are on the NW section of Vancouver Island, that they may well be the first modern humans to be on those spots. 

Not my desire to trade places with any of them. 

Hope yours is as good!

hr Offline styx

Reply #586 on: July 13, 2017, 09:17:33 AM
Easiest way is walk the dogs around the block (about 5km) with 2 x 10kg dumbbells in a backpack, get home, take off the backpack and feel like a ballerina  :cheers:

Yes indeed.... :rofl: 

Don't have dogs. Or a backpack that would handle 20kg

PS: Cold and wet will burn more calories too. 

I bet where they are on the NW section of Vancouver Island, that they may well be the first modern humans to be on those spots. 

Not my desire to trade places with any of them. 

Exactly. Perhaps this should be re branded as some sort of a Biggest loser competition but one that actually works

ca Offline JP

Reply #587 on: July 14, 2017, 01:28:51 AM
It would be exciting to see them hunt big game but maybe the risk is too high.

I also want a large stone weir built. Parts of the West Coast still have ancient weirs/crustacean beds intact.

....10 minutes later.....

I did some Wikipedia reading.....

Weirs are pre-sapien technology. Hunting and Fishing is in our DNA.....right beside the armchair quarterbacking gene....

« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 01:37:08 AM by JP »

hr Offline styx

Reply #588 on: July 14, 2017, 08:49:46 AM
It would be exciting to see them hunt big game but maybe the risk is too high.

I also want a large stone weir built. Parts of the West Coast still have ancient weirs/crustacean beds intact.

....10 minutes later.....

I did some Wikipedia reading.....

Weirs are pre-sapien technology. Hunting and Fishing is in our DNA.....right beside the armchair quarterbacking gene....

I thought the 103rd Chairborne was in between those two

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #589 on: July 15, 2017, 11:53:00 PM
At this point I'm willing to say that this looks like it will be a close race between the husband and wife team and the father and son team.  The brothers will be the next ones to go home.  They have the least complete campsite after 2 weeks and they had the misfortune to be assigned what seems to be the least productive parcel.  I also hope that the father and son can make due without the axe that the son lost on his trek as I think not having it will put them at a disadvantage.

hr Offline styx

Reply #590 on: July 16, 2017, 10:32:09 AM
I'm just wondering why they showed the duck neck stomping. If I'm wondering what the smurf was that woman thinking, I'd be willing to bet at least a few animal rights activists would get up in arms over seeing that

ca Offline JP

Reply #591 on: July 16, 2017, 12:53:31 PM
Is that a wrong way to dispatch a duck or you think it wasn't necessary for the show? Just curious. I haven't culled a duck before.

hr Offline styx

Reply #592 on: July 16, 2017, 02:02:53 PM
I might have missed something on the show but the easiest, fastest and quickest way to kill a bird that you can grab ahold of is to cut off the head. Some say breaking the neck is also a good option, but honestly after learning how you can put chicken to sleep, I wouldn't bet on that tactic.
To me it seemed like she was standing on the duck's neck for a while without doing much and only after that did she go for the decapitation.

So in regards to the show, it looked unnecessarily crude because it was at least portrayed sloppy.

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #593 on: July 16, 2017, 02:50:10 PM
@Alank - there are two sets of brothers, the Canadians who I hope something goes right for eventually and the southern boys who apparently are not filming much. 
Do know they have a poor location for fishing. 

Hope yours is as good!

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #594 on: July 16, 2017, 02:56:34 PM
~

So in regards to the show, it looked unnecessarily crude because it was at least portrayed sloppy.
Yes, sloppy.   Yet, she could have picked it up by the neck and twirled around, or picked up a rock and smashed its head flat. 
She, I think took and easy method which took minimum effort (least calories)

Hope yours is as good!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #595 on: July 16, 2017, 03:32:20 PM
~

Yes, sloppy.   Yet, she could have picked it up by the neck and twirled around, or picked up a rock and smashed its head flat. 

I've never dispatched a animal.   I wondered why she didn't use her knife?  I'm am glad they got a substantial meal.
Esse Quam Videri

hr Offline styx

Reply #596 on: July 16, 2017, 03:45:12 PM
~

I've never dispatched a animal.   I wondered why she didn't use her knife?  I'm am glad they got a substantial meal.

I thought she still used the knife after choking didn't do all that much

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #597 on: July 16, 2017, 03:56:46 PM
The Canadian brothers have got to get some meals in.  Their crab trap is a good start and while their beach is not the the best I'd imagine the rocks are good hiding places for other sea creatures.  Time to get fishing like the father and son team.  Traps and foraging to get their calories in.  They look to be quite large men. 

Father and son did real well with fishing.  I was happy to see them start off strong.   Their shelter however in the clip appeared to have taken on some water.   

The other brother team, the older and younger fellas have subsistence hunting experience.  I sure hope they "settle" in and figure out how to go about a meal.  I would like to see someone get larger game if at all possible.  Last season we almost saw a fox being caught. 

The husband and wife team have a terrific shelter.  They appear to be quite capable separate so as a team quite effective so far.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #598 on: July 16, 2017, 05:50:45 PM
Did you notice that Jim (the big brother) was using a Multitool saw blade when building the crap trap?

Hope yours is as good!

ca Offline JP

Reply #599 on: July 16, 2017, 09:37:39 PM
I thought it looked like a LM saw but it could be something else.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD