Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Official MT.O 31-Days OBMT Challenge!

Kampfer · 205 · 19054

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Re: Official MT.O 31-Days OBMT Challenge!
Reply #150 on: October 24, 2015, 12:06:28 AM

Got this snipper based MT from Sears for $4.44. Used the lessons learned here to cut zip ties using a Micra. Worked great  :tu:  This little Craftsman has thicker scissors than the Micra and should be able to cut bigger zip ties. Might use this for next year's off-brand challenge. It has a mini awl too  :2tu:

LMMicraZip1.JPG
* LMMicraZip1.JPG (Filesize: 150.61 KB)
LMMicraZip2.JPG
* LMMicraZip2.JPG (Filesize: 135.19 KB)
LMMicraZip3.JPG
* LMMicraZip3.JPG (Filesize: 133.84 KB)
LMMicraZip4.JPG
* LMMicraZip4.JPG (Filesize: 143.96 KB)

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #151 on: October 24, 2015, 12:07:57 AM
Week 4 I will using this little gadget call lighter bro.
(Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)

Very interesting looking MT. I got a Spark brand lighter based MT from Walmart for $5.88 a while back and it sucks big time. The knife does not stay open and just flops. Totally useless. This looks better.
I been pretty busy to update my challenge with LB, so far it is NOT very comfortable to carry in pocket.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #152 on: October 24, 2015, 05:43:41 PM
Going to be Switching to my latest toy :D

Very first impression. The tools are very easy to open, sadly the main blade lock is hard to disengage (maybe I haven't found the right technique yet).
obc_20151024_50.jpg
* obc_20151024_50.jpg (Filesize: 66.85 KB)
obc_20151024_51.jpg
* obc_20151024_51.jpg (Filesize: 117.23 KB)
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

no Offline Grathr

Reply #153 on: October 24, 2015, 06:33:15 PM

Very first impression. The tools are very easy to open, sadly the main blade lock is hard to disengage (maybe I haven't found the right technique yet).

:popcorn:

Sent from a device made from star dust using tapatalk
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #154 on: October 24, 2015, 07:30:40 PM

+1  :popcorn:

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #155 on: October 24, 2015, 07:39:03 PM

+2 :popcorn:
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #156 on: October 24, 2015, 08:11:45 PM

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

gr Offline firiki

Reply #157 on: October 24, 2015, 10:00:57 PM

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

Much appreciated :cheers:

My first impressions --> Send it to Obi through the loo. That awl speaks volumes.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #158 on: October 24, 2015, 10:11:01 PM

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

My first impressions --> Send it to Obi through the loo. That awl speaks volumes.
Well, that is very premature, the can-opener might be ugly, but does not tell us anything about its quality/functionality.

So, lets not get ahead of ourselves and see how it does.

gr Offline firiki

Reply #159 on: October 24, 2015, 11:26:58 PM

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

Well, that is very premature, the can-opener might be ugly, but does not tell us anything about its quality/functionality.

So, lets not get ahead of ourselves and see how it does.

Yes, the can opener is :fugly: (and I agree, that doesn't tell us anything about how well it works) but I was talking about the awl.

I (don't) like how they put such a small eyelet on a tool that's bound to make holes the diameter of a BIC pen to get to the twine that probably barely fits in that space. Also, as you say, the awl's rim seems too prominent and its point looks like it can't make small, deep holes because it's too wide. I'm quite miffed about that awl...
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 11:30:04 PM by firiki »

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #160 on: October 26, 2015, 03:17:11 PM
CAK: Fourth Report: Other Inside and Back Tools
Well it is now time to reveal the mystery tool(s)  :pok: >:D

As mentioned this CAK is more or less a copy of a Vic Fisherman - So we have our fish scaler.
Well I have't really  tested this out - I am not a fisherman  ??? - However the scaler bit seems almost identical to a SAK - So I assmume that all works well.
However there is no ruler and the disgorger prong is not so pronounced as on a Vic - So may not work as well at its job
........ Or as the proverbial olive fork!!  :(

Now we have another tool here - See the first picture - Well it looks like a saw - right?
Well kinda ..... Buuuut ......
Slight problem  ??? .......... The 'teeth' are completely smooth and rounded - I have tried to use this as a saw and it does not even make a dent in the wood - the tool just skips and bumps over the surface.
- So it is actually a back up fish scaler :rofl:

So to the back tools:
I had great hopes for the middle tool - A nail file and nail cleaner - This is a great idea for a tool on a 91mm AK - And one reason why I prefer Wengers to Vics
However this tool is a total fail - Again the edges are completely smooth on the file and the point ....
So it does not file - at all   ........ And it does not scrape or clean - at all
- So a complete waste of space!!

The tool with the wee hole I guess is meant to be a reamer or sewing tool  - But again totally crap.

The third back tool in the pic is an awl - No edge like a Vic reamer/awl - But not dissimilar to a Wenger awl - Except it does not taper to a point - I used this to make a pilot hole for my SD tests - And it worked - Just about.

So today we have quite a few useless/unusable tools - And a couple that just about work.   :rant:

Now to the Squirt vs CAK Challenge - I am not sure I can give any more marks to the Squirt - As it does not have any of these tools - I suppose it has that wee file? - But no awl or fish scaler - What do you reckon - A tie or did the CAK get another point ?? !!

Stay tuned for the grand and dramatic finale -  :o .... It is worth waiting for ......
Vic_Knock off scaler.JPG
* Vic_Knock off scaler.JPG (Filesize: 181.09 KB)
Vic_Knock off extra back tools.JPG
* Vic_Knock off extra back tools.JPG (Filesize: 150.99 KB)

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #161 on: October 26, 2015, 03:52:18 PM
CAK: Fourth Report: Other Inside and Back Tools
Well it is now time to reveal the mystery tool(s)  :pok: >:D

As mentioned this CAK is more or less a copy of a Vic Fisherman - So we have our fish scaler.
Well I have't really  tested this out - I am not a fisherman  ??? - However the scaler bit seems almost identical to a SAK - So I assmume that all works well.
However there is no ruler and the disgorger prong is not so pronounced as on a Vic - So may not work as well at its job
........ Or as the proverbial olive fork!!  :(

Now we have another tool here - See the first picture - Well it looks like a saw - right?
Slight problem  ??? .......... The 'teeth' are completely smooth and rounded - I have tried to use this as a saw and it does not even make a dent in the wood - the tool just skips and bumps over the surface.

So to the back tools:
I had great hopes for the middle tool - A nail file and nail cleaner - This is a great idea for a tool on a 91mm AK - And one reason why I prefer Wengers to Vics
However this tool is a total fail - Again the edges are completely smooth on the file and the point ....
So it does not file - at all   ........ And it does not scrape or clean - at all
- So a complete waste of space!!

The tool with the wee hole I guess is meant to be a reamer or sewing tool  - But again totally crap.

The third back tool in the pic is an awl - No edge like a Vic reamer/awl - But not dissimilar to a Wenger awl - Except it does not taper to a point - I used this to make a pilot hole for my SD tests - And it worked - Just about.

So today we have quite a few useless/unusable tools - And a couple that just about work.   :rant:

Now to the Squirt vs CAK Challenge - I am not sure I can give any more marks to the Squirt - As it does not have any of these tools - I suppose it has that wee file? - But no awl or fish scaler - What do you reckon - A tie or did the CAK get another point ?? !!

Stay tuned for the grand and dramatic finale -  :o .... It is worth waiting for ......
Remember one is none and two is one... ok, admittedly that rule confuses me :P

I have to admit, I like the position of that nail-file. It's one of those tools that should work well as a back layer tool...

I wonder what they are thinking when producing (let's make a saw that is safe for children ::), or what?)... and why are people buying :pok:, even a complete noob can see that this saw will not work :think:

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #162 on: October 26, 2015, 10:17:29 PM
I wonder what they are thinking when producing (let's make a saw that is safe for children ::), or what?)... and why are people buying :pok:, even a complete noob can see that this saw will not work :think:

Yep - Mr. E - I had exactly the same thought when I bought this tool a couple of years ago
Just what are they thinking ??

Of course these CAKs are all about imimtation - Maybe with no thought or design??
My theory was this...

The factory manager/business owner hands a SAK to one of his tooling design engineers and says:
'Make me one of these - And make it cheaply'

Now we all know the scissors are the most expensive tool to make on a SAK. The saw is probably the second - with all that grinding (or is it milling?) of the teeth??
And guess what?  ??? These are the worst tools on the CAK  ::)

The machine designer produces somthing that makes a tool that looks like a saw - But has no idea of its function - And, as this gets out into the market, it seems no-one else at the factory does either??

Still seems a bit far fetched / unbelieveable eh??

And of course the back tool  design blows that theory - as this is not pure imitation with the nail file - and CS plus Phillips SD - Both of which are great ideas I believe - But worse than poorly implemented !!
Anyway bottom line is still the same - Tools that do not work  :twak:

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #163 on: October 27, 2015, 01:28:45 AM
Yeah... the CAK saw...

Jothra and I both ran into that... thing... before.

Mine was actually sharp enough to make it half way through a 1 inch branch before going dull. I think Jothra wrecked his on a 3/4" piece of OSB or something.

:facepalm:

rishardh: glad the Micra worked for your ziptie needs. I got one of those Craftsman tools, and the scissors are pretty good on them. I'd actually thought that if my CAK crapped out on me on the challenge, i'd move on to that Craftsman. I think it MIGHT be an okay tool for EDC.

If you try it out, I'd love to hear about it.

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #164 on: October 27, 2015, 03:08:23 AM
Yeah... the CAK saw...

Jothra and I both ran into that... thing... before.

Mine was actually sharp enough to make it half way through a 1 inch branch before going dull. I think Jothra wrecked his on a 3/4" piece of OSB or something.

Hi Lynn
- Sounds like you guys got a better functioning saw than I did !!!  :o  :D
Mine wasn't even 'one-use' !!

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #165 on: October 27, 2015, 03:11:03 AM

rishardh: glad the Micra worked for your ziptie needs. I got one of those Craftsman tools, and the scissors are pretty good on them. I'd actually thought that if my CAK crapped out on me on the challenge, i'd move on to that Craftsman. I think it MIGHT be an okay tool for EDC.

If you try it out, I'd love to hear about it.

Yes, the Micra did the job very easily. Thanks! I was thinking of finding a very thick zip tie and trying the scissors on some of the MTs I got. I will definitely include the Craftsman in that test and will let you know what I think. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the scissors in that MT for the price I paid. Not so confident in the other tools though.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 03:13:37 AM by rishardh »

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #166 on: October 27, 2015, 03:48:22 AM
I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the scissors in that MT for the price I paid. Not so confident in the other tools though.

I'm with you on this 100%

Also.. Hah! I KNEW I'd done a mini review on it. Just took me some time to find...
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,48255.msg809294.html#msg809294

This link is my specific review of them, but part of a larger thread on that Craftsman tool, if you want to go back through the whole thread to read.

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #167 on: October 27, 2015, 06:44:52 AM
I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the scissors in that MT for the price I paid. Not so confident in the other tools though.

I'm with you on this 100%

Also.. Hah! I KNEW I'd done a mini review on it. Just took me some time to find...
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,48255.msg809294.html#msg809294

This link is my specific review of them, but part of a larger thread on that Craftsman tool, if you want to go back through the whole thread to read.

Read the whole thread. Good to know what I paid only half of what it used to be. Nice review. Yeah, that awl looks pathetic, lol. I wished they had spent a little more money and made the other tools as decent as the scissors. A lot of these cheapo tools have good ideas but very poorly built. Makes me sad  :cry:

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #168 on: October 28, 2015, 01:47:54 PM
CAK: Fifth Report: Drivers
Well this will be my last report before concluding thoughts
Also very excited today as I am going to try and use Photobucket for the first time, so that I can have embedded photos as opposed to photees tagged on the end!!  :D

So here is a photo of the flat driver compared to the Vic flat driver.
The slot end for the screw is a lot shorter on the CAK as you can see - So I thought the CAK SD would be OK for smaller screws but not so good for larger screws - But it is much worse than that !!!

Do you remember that the CAK tools are thinner than their SAK equivalents??
Well check out your Vic flat driver - It is wider at the tang then tapers to the slot end, so that it engages with the screw slot.

The CAK does not taper .... and guess what - It does not fit in a screw slot - Not even a big one

So we have another complete non functioning tool - Hilarious and unbelievable :rofl:

And so to the final test - The Phillips SD.

I drilled a hole in a piece of wood with the CAK awl - This worked OK - Not as good as a Wenger awl, definitely not as good as a Vic - But it worked.
I then took a Posidrive screw and started to screw it into the wood.

Well if you will pardon the expression - To start off with - This was a very pleasant screwing experience  :o
- The CAK Ph SD fitted the screw much better than the Vic - Shock horror  :o - Maybe this is because I had a posidrive screw, as opposed to Phillips ?? - Not sure.

So I continued screwing (ahem) - Once the screw got deeper than the pilot hole, it got a little harder, then I heard a click ....  ???  Was not sure what it was, so carried on .... Another click and then this ....

Yep a detached screwdriver
The torquing on the screw driver had forced the rivet apart, and off fell the tool
Just to complete the test I finished off the screwing with my Vic Tinker and it screwed the screw all the way into the wood - No problem at all  :tu:

So this is not dissimilar to Lynn's experience with the main blade - The riveting is not good on a CAK - or at least this CAK.
Next time I used the knife the main blade had a wobble and the screwing had not only forced the centre rivets apart - it even affected the end rivet - Hope you can see this in the photo (rhs)

So I now have a non functioning knife...

So how about the Squirt vs CAK Challenge??
Well the Squirt gets a point for the flat SD and I guess a point for the Phillips
But if you remember prying out a staple also caused my Squirt to come apart slightly - So neither tool is looking to good in this department.
So I make it about 5-3 to the CAK !!! Hmmm worrying

So as Bugs Bunny used to say 'That's all folks!!' ......

Stay tuned some concluding thoughts on the CAK and CAK vs Squirt Challenge.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 02:16:43 PM by Huntsman »

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #169 on: October 29, 2015, 01:03:26 AM
 :rofl:

Oh, man... I'm so sorry.

:rofl:

I'm both grieving for your pain and laughing. Mostly laughing.

EDIT: Here's a pic of the driver on the Coghlan's showing the edge tapering at the tip...
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 01:06:01 AM by Lynn LeFey »

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #170 on: October 29, 2015, 01:15:43 AM
Okay, so... hold on...

I just pulled out one of the other knock-offs I have...

I don't know if you can see in the photo very well, but the 'shank' of the driver, the thinnest portion on each of these tools, is WAY different. The Coghlan's is MUCH thicker. I checked all of the tools, and they're all better formed. Can opener, philips head, all of it. Huh. It really is a bit better made than other chinese knock-offs.

:shrug:

us Offline Thisjk38

Reply #171 on: October 29, 2015, 08:16:44 AM
So my go knife is going strong I'm sad to report that I havent had much use for it in the past week other than simple paper clippings and nail filing. Hopefully I get to snap a picture soon of it being really put to use.

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #172 on: October 29, 2015, 10:16:40 AM
Hating the knife on the Zillatool Jnr, it's not a great deployment method and really soft steel. I'd prefer a SAK with nail notch.  The pliers are great and drivers really work well on the two included sizes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #173 on: October 29, 2015, 10:27:05 PM
Week 4 report: Lighter Bro
Sorry I been extremely busy last week, working on costumes for my kids, did not have time for daily report, so here it is.
While a normal Bic lighter is 0.5" thick, with lighter bro installed it became 0.75". 0.25" doesn't seen much on paper but for those who are very familiar with Bic lighters, it is actually kind of significant, at least to me. I constantly aware of something in my pocket, not uncomfortable but just noticeable. And .75" is the thickness of a Surge.

Lighter Bro adds three tools to your Bic lighter, a blade, scissors and a super long mini driver.

The blade is about 1.75" long, straight with blunt tip but has no belly. It looks like a later opener and in fact works very well in such function. Not super sharp out from box but enough for normal cutting tasks. I cut quite a bit stuff with it in the pass week, cardboard, tapes, plastic hose, rubber hose, all performs as expected.  The blunt tip on blade is suppose to be a a flathead driver, .... failed! I haven't find any screws that it could fit and there is no way I would use a sharp blade's tip as driver, just too dangerous.

The scissors is ugly, the 1/3 of its edge from the tip doesn't cut anything at all, but the rest of 2/3 cuts well. Tried them on duct tape, card board, heavy nylon strap, leather strap, no complain there. In fact i just butchered a whole backpack with it today for building a costume for my older son.

The super long mini driver, I have no use for it at all, other than used it as a tooth pick once.

Overall, LighterBro is like gluing a Victorinox Classic to your existing lighter, but in a more tasteful way. Each implement doesn't NOT perform better that the ones on Classic but do function.

Can you believe that I built this costume with only a Lighter Bro?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 11:25:08 PM by Kampfer »

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #174 on: October 29, 2015, 10:35:28 PM

Very nice.    :tu: I love home made kits. Extra candy for those for sure.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #175 on: October 29, 2015, 11:23:05 PM

Very nice.    :tu: I love home made kits. Extra candy for those for sure.
Did someone say candy?  :drool:
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 11:24:07 PM by Kampfer »

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #176 on: October 29, 2015, 11:35:12 PM
Here is the 2nd costume built by only a Lighter Bro.

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #177 on: October 31, 2015, 06:56:44 AM

:salute: and congrats to all the Off Brand challengers for surviving October. Good job everyone, I enjoyed reading your posts and learned a thing or two about some of your MTs.
 :clap:

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #178 on: October 31, 2015, 07:17:14 AM

Here is my cheap and cheerful lot. Took me a while to set them up that way. If you could endure a month, me spending a few minutes to share this with all you challengers was worth the effort   :climber:

no Offline Grathr

Reply #179 on: November 01, 2015, 07:28:29 AM
This wasnt really much of a challenge for me. Both tools worked well and I had very little issues with them. :)
I guess you can get a decent tool made by another less known company than the big ones.
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%