Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Travelling Arsenal

us Offline twiliter

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • motionless wheel, nothing is real
Travelling Arsenal
on: August 16, 2015, 10:44:42 PM
So I took an inventory of the SAK's that I am taking on a driving trip. Usually when flying out I have my Vic travel kit which has 2 or 3 of my carry rotation, and the Wenger Clippers, a Jetsetter or 2, and a SwissCard in my toiletry kit.

So driving out to go camp here and there and not have to worry about the TSA, I have a slightly different group. Starting with the Spirit in my toolbag, and the Troubleshooter CS (modified) SOS kit in the glove compartment, then the Wenger, Jetsetter, and Vic travel kit, and finally what's currently in my pocket, along with my current rotation.

As it turns out, I count 10 SAK's before I leave the driveway. A long way from the good ol' days when all I had was an Explorer, Deluxe Tinker, or SwissChamp as stand-alone companions. I may be minimalising my pocket carry, but I sure have a big SAK entourage nowadays.  :-\

Any similar situations out there?  :pok:

Forgot one, my fishing combo (mod) in my creel, that makes 11.  :ahhh
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 11:18:35 PM by twiliter »

00 Offline haackeg

Re: Travelling Arsenal
Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 11:43:45 PM
I always bring so many SAK's or LM's when I travel. Last trip to visit family I has my Swisschamp, Pioneer, huntsman, LM Wave and three pocket knives!  Probably silly, but I love it!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 12:26:55 AM
If I'm planning on being away from home for a few days, I'll usually have

A) The SAK that lives in the glovebox
B) My choice for pocket carry on the day I leave
C) A more comprehensive tool or tool combo in a bag
D) The Vic Manager on my keys
E) Occasionally, I'll add a neck lanyard with alox rambler and a few other choice goodies for in case I want to leave where I'm staying (leaving my keys behind) and go minimalist but still have a few useful trinkets handy

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

au Offline ljnoble

• The Land DownUnder
Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 02:51:24 AM
I'm going now camping in 3 weeks for a week.
I'll be taking a
Bark river bravo 1
Swiss tool
Alox pioneer or farmer not sure yet
And a paramilitary 2
Bit over kill hahaha

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

From The Land DownUnder

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 03:59:03 AM
Interesting thread, especially after just returning from a weeklong drive up to the Northwest, camping one night and seeing family/friends.  So in thinking through what I had in the truck and in my bags:
  • Both the 84 and 91 Golfers to rotate for pocket carry and a Bucklite Max lrg folder
  • In the glove box I normally keep a Vic Huntsman, a Buck Parallex, a Gerber Iris flashlight, and a cheap 1980's MT
  • In the truck's regular stash:
  • Ontario Mk3 Navy
  • Gerber Strata
  • Gerber Gator Jr machete
  • Collapsable shovel
  • Maxpedition Organizer w/ Gerber Clutch, Bucklite Max sm folder, Gerber Infinity flashlight

I used the EDC Golfers almost every day.  I used the larger folder, the Strata, the Iris flashlight and machete camping.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

us Offline getahl

Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 04:48:00 AM
I'm at a cabin in Yosemite at the moment. With WiFi. I'm roughing it. I brought my Mora #2 and SAK Camper in my Camelbak. That was going to be my only knives, but I brought my Opinel 8 at the last minute. Only going for a few days, so didn't feel the need to bring a bunch of stuff.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 07:56:27 AM
A large OHO folder, a full size multitool and a SAK mainly for opening bottles and cans. Usually  my Spyderco Military, Leatherman Blast and Alox Farmer. And a backup of each in the vehicle. (Endura, PST, Huntsman last time)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: August 17, 2015, 08:28:55 AM
When I went to Nevada not long ago I brought my Swisschamp, Kershaw Cryo, Wave, an assortment of lights, and Spyderco Native. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline twiliter

Reply #8 on: August 17, 2015, 11:08:49 AM
Good replies all! Just as I suspected, I am overdoing it.  :)

us Offline parman53

• I Can Fix Anything
Reply #9 on: August 17, 2015, 05:19:19 PM
I always take my old explorer when I travel and that's it.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: August 17, 2015, 08:06:22 PM
I'm at a cabin in Yosemite at the moment. With WiFi. I'm roughing it. I brought my Mora #2 and SAK Camper in my Camelbak. That was going to be my only knives, but I brought my Opinel 8 at the last minute. Only going for a few days, so didn't feel the need to bring a bunch of stuff.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

A cabin in the woods with WiFi? That sounds fab. :dd:

If I'm away for a week or more then I tend to take a 'do it all' MT (Spirit, Wave or some such), a fat SAK, a keyring SAK or MT and a pocket knife.  If i'm going to be in the great outdoors (like a cabin in Yosemite for example) I'd add in a nice sheath knife as well.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #11 on: August 17, 2015, 08:22:07 PM
I spent two weeks camping and exploring (returned a week ago) in the Croatian Northern Velebit National Park (we had special permission to do so). No wifi ;) , not even cell phone reception.

What I had with me were:
Vic Outrider - main tool that was always on me and saw most use.
Vic Spirit - hardly saw any use
Bahco Laplander - for prepping firewood in camp
Mora Companion - used it to make a wooden ladle and not much else

Could have probably been just fine without the Spirit, but I like having pliers available, just in case.

us Offline twiliter

Reply #12 on: August 19, 2015, 02:45:15 AM
I appreciate the input, and I did cut it back some. Spirit, fishing mod, Climber, OC Pioneer, Wenger Clipper, and Signature on the keychain. Trying to carry just the Sig. and the Pioneer daily, so 6 total. It's probably still a little ridiculous to non-MT peeps.  :D

sg Offline Dr Hunt

Reply #13 on: August 20, 2015, 09:46:56 AM
Pocket carried the OKC RAT2 folder, Gerber Dime, and bag carried SAK Huntsman for recent overseas trip.

I'll like to switch to another folder knife from the small collection that I have, the candidates; Spyderco Delica is too short, Benchmade Rift 950 probably too heavy. Going to do some cutting of the Rift liners and scales for better ergonomics and try pocket carrying it.
Do not hold on to possessions you no longer need- Miyamoto Musashi ce.1645

au Offline Grass

• First, we take Manhattan
Reply #14 on: August 20, 2015, 11:05:36 AM
This subject results in arguments... with myself :-/

On the last trip, I had a slightly modded Dual Pro X (to have T&T) and the SwissTool RS. Any more could have looked like a serial killer given plane transport was involved but I desperately wanted to also take the S557 or Swisschamp.

The brief trip before that involved the One Handed Trekker (NS) and Swisschamp XLT.

Already arguing with self about next trip...

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: May 04, 2016, 08:27:07 PM
I didn't want to start a new topic, just need quick answer from you guys and gals. Searched flying & tsa, and now I'm here  ;)

Gonna be flying and I forgot wether you can check a bag with a blade or multitool? Also are scissors allowed on carry on bag (not a must)? This is a USA flight PDX to SB

Don't want to donate any pieces to the TSA...

Thanks
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: May 04, 2016, 10:04:43 PM
Yes, you can place knives and multi-tools in your checked baggage...no problem there.  Your biggiest potential problem is somebody stealing these.  I typically wrap them up in a pair of socks.

As for scissors in a carry-on bag, that can be hit-or-miss with TSA.  Make sure they're rounded tips; not pointy and you will probably get through with them.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: May 04, 2016, 10:48:13 PM
" I typically wrap them up in a pair of socks."

Socks you've been wearing for 2 weeks work best...

Last year I flew to China with a Bantam in my pocket. Security guy in the airport here in Germany looked at it, measured the blade (!) and said, OK, you can take it.
I remembered to stow it in my baggage on the way back, which is lucky. Cos the Chinese security personnel were pretty strict and confiscated my wife's key-ringed Classic.

On another occasion I got all the way to Las Vegas with a Stanley knife in my hand luggage. I didn't even know it was there...!

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #18 on: May 04, 2016, 11:44:27 PM
Lately, I don't travel anywhere but the Dr. so I don't carry many.....too embarrassed to unload a large assortment of SAKs at the "weigh in" station....  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 11:46:51 PM by SAK Guy »
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline twiliter

Reply #19 on: May 05, 2016, 12:35:09 AM
I will probably bring the Style PS along next time I fly, the Jetsetters get looked at too often. My tool bag always has an MT, either SwissTool X, Spirit, or Surge, along with a SwissChamp SOS kit, so driving anywhere always includes these.  :tu:

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #20 on: May 05, 2016, 02:24:14 AM
If I am checking a bag, I usually pack a Swiss Champ, Classic, and a Leatherman PST. 

If I am too lazy to check a bag, I go solo.   (Sacrilege, I know.)

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: May 05, 2016, 04:20:07 AM
Thanks guys. I appreciate the experienced help. I will however take something that isn't sacred and test the waters here. Would hate to see one of my faves on eBay for a quick buck...

Cheers  :cheers: literally free round of craft beer flying Alaska out of Portland!  :D

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #22 on: May 05, 2016, 05:41:43 AM
I'm right there with you buddy!! :rofl: :rofl:

Lately, I don't travel anywhere but the Dr. so I don't carry many.....too embarrassed to unload a large assortment of SAKs at the "weigh in" station....  :facepalm:
Barry

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #23 on: May 06, 2016, 02:08:28 AM
I travel every week for work.  Along with my tools, a Wingman and SuperTool are in my easy reach grip, a SOG paratool in the toolbox. 
My suitcase pack includes;
Blue Farmer,
Climber,
OH Trekker,
CQC-5K,
Electrician,
LM C33L,
Cabela's Orange Mini tool,
And a GSX flashlight.
My pockets have
Micra,
Vagabond,
Pioneer,
And a bullet space pen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: May 06, 2016, 08:48:38 AM
Stop it. You don't carry all that, do you  :o lol

hr Offline styx

Reply #25 on: May 06, 2016, 08:55:48 AM
It's always good to have extras. I'm worried about summer when there won't be room for 2 SAKs and 2 plier based MTs as my EDC since the jacket and backpack will be staying at home for the most part
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #26 on: May 06, 2016, 12:44:55 PM
Stop it. You don't carry all that, do you  :o lol
Well, I will need to unload
When I get home this weekend. 
Reading the thread, I thought I would see what was making the suitcase so heavy and that is what I had aboard. 
For my work though the pocket list is the norm, changing large knife based on tasks scheduled.
It must be an ailment of sort. 
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

00 Offline Fattsgalore

Reply #27 on: May 11, 2016, 09:28:51 PM
I've been known to load up on a few Saks/blades, but definitely not 10. 58mm on my keychain, a Ranger or Craftsman in a bag, plus a 91mm mod with a watch on it in my front pocket. Also a utility knife somewhere in the mix. 

But ever since getting a Spirit I've carried it almost solely. The Spirit has really taken the complexity out of my EDC set up. Best tool I've owned.

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #28 on: May 12, 2016, 09:59:33 AM
A large OHO folder, a full size multitool and a SAK mainly for opening bottles and cans. Usually  my Spyderco Military, Leatherman Blast and Alox Farmer. And a backup of each in the vehicle. (Endura, PST, Huntsman last time)

Not much has changed although I usually have the Skeletool as the most handy Multitool as the light pliers and bit kit cover a lot of the repair tasks I end up doing while away from home.
Another change is a Supertool 300 to be the heavy task backup, if its going to live in the car or pack it can be heavy and capable.
The Farmer and Huntsman still get the nod when pushed to have two (one as a backup) ; tending to favor the Huntsman as I get a lot of use of the tweezers and pin. Corkscrew too. Drinking wine in the thorny bushveld ;o)

I have a feeling the D2 RAT model 1 will edge out the Military as I wont cry if it gets lost. I often carry the AUS8 one when there is a chance of my knife being lost or stolen.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: May 12, 2016, 10:19:55 AM
" I typically wrap them up in a pair of socks."

Socks you've been wearing for 2 weeks work best...

Last year I flew to China with a Bantam in my pocket. Security guy in the airport here in Germany looked at it, measured the blade (!) and said, OK, you can take it.
I remembered to stow it in my baggage on the way back, which is lucky. Cos the Chinese security personnel were pretty strict and confiscated my wife's key-ringed Classic.

On another occasion I got all the way to Las Vegas with a Stanley knife in my hand luggage. I didn't even know it was there...!
In Europe you are allowed to carry 91/93mm SAKs, theoretically. At the end of the day you are still at the mercy of whoever checks you.

It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%