Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Companion to Swisschamp

Tjh · 35 · 3179

Offline Tjh

Companion to Swisschamp
on: September 19, 2015, 12:38:28 AM
Am new to the forum, having (after a few years of missing a wenger i had for a short while) just bought a swisschamp. My question is this: I realised that I would actually like to have something with a 'bit set' (really the only thing missing from a swisschamp...that and the spatula) as well, some of those drivers are really needed for assembling furniture etc. So here's the question, having already bought a swisschamp (I swear it already looks a little beaten up from the ride between the seller and me) what do you think would be a good companion for it? I really have no use for a full sized pliers-MT, at least not right now.

I was originally thinking of buying an XLT (still am), my only issue is that i really despise translucent scales. And that it might be a bit redundant.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 12:40:41 AM by Tjh »

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Re: Companion to Swisschamp
Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 12:45:16 AM
Welcome to MTO!  :salute:

What about a Cybertool 29 since you have all the other tools covered?

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 12:58:44 AM
Have you considered buying an XLT and changing the scales?
SAW

Offline Tjh

Reply #3 on: September 19, 2015, 01:16:47 AM
Welcome to MTO!  :salute:

What about a Cybertool 29 since you have all the other tools covered?

That's not a bad idea, though it still has a bit of redundancy, OR i was thinking CT lite (LED is a plus AND i can use the same pouch as the one i bought for my Swisschamp.

Actually yes, the place I am wanting to buy it frmo (swiss-knives) also has scales on sale. I don't know how i feel about owning a swisschamp AND an xlt (come on guys, say something to convince me that owning both is not a dumb idea). I;m not too handy however (beyond the basic), so not sure how hard/easy it is.

I am leaning towards XLT, mostly cuz, I admit; i think it's cool. But I just need a reason to "start a collection of SAKs" so to speak, rather than just buying what i need, if that makes sense.

One other thing is, "EDC-able" is also a factor for me. I like the idea of having everything at hand, readily available (so a combination of swisschamp and CT may not be the case, as it would be hard to find a case for the two together). I am also currently in a situation that has me moving around quite often and travelling, so that helps with that.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 01:26:57 AM by Tjh »

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #4 on: September 19, 2015, 01:18:51 AM
I'm not sure you can assemble furniture with a Cybertool :think:

Victorinox makes a bit wrench and a ratchett for the Swisstools that you can buy separately. I have the wrench and I like it, especially for recessed areas and places with little clearance. You can probably buy something equally good and with more bits for the same money, though.

Welcome to the forums.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 01:20:48 AM by firiki »
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

Offline Tjh

Reply #5 on: September 19, 2015, 01:24:09 AM

Victorinox makes a bit wrench and a ratchett for the Swisstools that you can buy separately. I have the wrench and I like it, especially for recessed areas and places with little clearance. You can probably buy something equally good and with more bits for the same money, though.

Welcome to the forums.

Ooh I like the ratchet idea that sounds good. I've assembled some stuff with an SAK before, so not sure.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #6 on: September 19, 2015, 01:24:50 AM

Welcome to the forums.

THIS!!!!! It's an excellent accessory, that's got me out of a mess several times  :tu: (I have the wrench rather than the ratchet, but I do have a Topeak ratchet on my bike too that I've used occasionally)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 01:26:15 AM by 50ft-trad »

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #7 on: September 19, 2015, 01:26:50 AM
FWIW, I've used the bit driver on the Cybertool series on some pretty stubborn screws. I also found a set of bits at my local hardware store that fit in the holder allowing me to customize the ones I carry. They aren't double-sided, but it's not a deal breaker for me.

The ratchet and even the l-wrench that Vic makes are awesome. I have both and love them. If you can score a set of those or similar, that would cover your bit driver needs nicely.

Offline Tjh

Reply #8 on: September 19, 2015, 01:28:19 AM
FWIW, I've used the bit driver on the Cybertool series on some pretty stubborn screws. I also found a set of bits at my local hardware store that fit in the holder allowing me to customize the ones I carry. They aren't double-sided, but it's not a deal breaker for me.

The ratchet and even the l-wrench that Vic makes are awesome. I have both and love them. If you can score a set of those or similar, that would cover your bit driver needs nicely.

Wow i didn't know you could do that, that's awesome (using other bits you bought elsewhere). What;s the differnce between the wrench and the ratchet?

Any ideas on pouches that let me carry a ratchet+a swisschamp btw? I've looked around but not found anything particular.

us Offline sawman

Reply #9 on: September 19, 2015, 01:32:48 AM
I own several Swisschamps and definitely plan on getting an XLT when funds permit. Take the plunge - I don't think you'll regret it :tu:
SAW

Offline Tjh

Reply #10 on: September 19, 2015, 01:36:59 AM
I own several Swisschamps and definitely plan on getting an XLT when funds permit. Take the plunge - I don't think you'll regret it :tu:
What do you do with all those equally awesome MTs?
 :think:

Also: How does the wrench/bit holder in the XLT work in terms of "getting a lot of torque" or putting a lot of force, as oposed to something seperate like the L-wrench+bit holder set?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 01:39:49 AM by Tjh »

us Offline sawman

Reply #11 on: September 19, 2015, 01:37:55 AM
What do you do with all those equally awesome MTs?
One of the Swisschamps is a collector and the rest are users.
SAW

us Offline BASguy

Companion to Swisschamp
Reply #12 on: September 19, 2015, 02:07:31 AM
I bought a Swisschamp on a whim a few months ago and it's become my EDC for work.  It's actually replaced my Spirit.  I constantly use the drivers that are on board, as I really haven't found a need for the bit changer.  I had a Cybertool 34 for awhile, but just didn't get along with it however, it's a very functional tool, and if you need a bit driver I'd say it give a whirl.  I'd say there is probably little reason to carry both.

Sent from 9 miles from the face of the sun

us Offline Luna Knife

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: September 19, 2015, 02:15:55 AM
To me, the best companion for my Swisschamp is a good old carbon steel mora knife

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #14 on: September 19, 2015, 02:32:50 AM

"Always bet on black!"- Wesley Snipes, Passenger 57 (1992)   :D
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline sawman

Reply #15 on: September 19, 2015, 02:37:23 AM
SG, did you find a good deal on that one?
SAW

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #16 on: September 19, 2015, 02:41:25 AM
You could also have one built that fits your needs.

this is mine,  (Cyber-Engineer) it does not have the fish scaler or the wood saw,  but I added the bit driver, and a second knife layer which has a Serrated blade.

I know the two small blades are a bit of a redundancy, but one is going to become my tape cutting / abused blade.

here are the back tools

here is a size comparison to a SwissChamp

here you can see that it is smaller than the SwissChamp XLT

I would estimate that my new SAK is half way between the Champ and the XLT.

If I can help, let me know 

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #17 on: September 19, 2015, 03:32:19 AM
Part of my reasoning for me suggesting the Cybertool 29 was that if you didn't want to carry a second one, you could have the bit driver and bits layer modded into the swisschamp that you already have and then you could still only need to carry one.

Sorry I should have mentioned that in the initial posting.  :)

PS.  Not sure what one needs with a spatula but then again, it might get more use than the fish scaler!  LOL
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 03:34:01 AM by sir_mike »

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: September 19, 2015, 03:52:24 AM

$139.00 shipped....like new, unsharpened with like new pouch. I couldn't pass it up. Looked like someone took it out of the box, stuck it in the pouch and put it in a drawer.
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline sawman

Reply #19 on: September 19, 2015, 03:59:53 AM

$139.00 shipped....like new, unsharpened with like new pouch. I couldn't pass it up. Looked like someone took it out of the box, stuck it in the pouch and put it in a drawer.
INCREDIBLE deal!!!  Congratz buddy :cheers:
SAW

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: September 19, 2015, 04:03:16 AM

$139.00 shipped....like new, unsharpened with like new pouch. I couldn't pass it up. Looked like someone  took it out of the box, stuck it in the pouch and put it in a drawer.
INCREDIBLE deal!!!  Congratz buddy :cheers:

Thank you!  :salute:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #21 on: September 19, 2015, 04:38:53 AM
If you want to put some serious torque on the fittings then I suggest the L shaped Vic driver plus whatever bits you normally use.  The L shaped driver lets you get into places the ratchet won't, and is also more compact.  This would seem to be the cheapest option as well  :D
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #22 on: September 19, 2015, 05:20:07 AM

XLT is not a very good complement to a Swisschamp. They're both huge, and there's lots of duplication.

If anything sell the Swisschamp for an XLT. It has a more useful tool set for urban or suburban users.

The Cybertools have a good bit driver, but it is mostly for small bits. If you want something for bigger bits, I think the Victorinox bit wrench or ratchet is a better idea. Matter of fact, it doesnt even have to be a Vic-branded one. Lots of folks make mini ratchets, and one that would take a 1/4" hex or 1/4" drive ratchet would be ideal.

How about this US-made Chapman for six bucks?
http://smile.amazon.com/Chapman-Midget-Ratchet-ratchet-CM-13/dp/B00FVYLJ8W/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1442622672&sr=8-8&keywords=1%2F4%22+hex+ratchet

-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

Offline Tjh

Reply #23 on: September 19, 2015, 05:59:45 AM

(Image removed from quote.)

Wow, that just looks sexy. IDK why, but black scales are just so awesome looking. How hard was that to put on?

this is mine,  (Cyber-Engineer) it does not have the fish scaler or the wood saw,  but I added the bit driver, and a second knife layer which has a Serrated blade.

I know the two small blades are a bit of a redundancy, but one is going to become my tape cutting / abused blade.

here are the back tools

How would one go about doing that?

XLT is not a very good complement to a Swisschamp. They're both huge, and there's lots of duplication.

If anything sell the Swisschamp for an XLT. It has a more useful tool set for urban or suburban users.

The Cybertools have a good bit driver, but it is mostly for small bits. If you want something for bigger bits, I think the Victorinox bit wrench or ratchet is a better idea. Matter of fact, it doesnt even have to be a Vic-branded one. Lots of folks make mini ratchets, and one that would take a 1/4" hex or 1/4" drive ratchet would be ideal.

How about this US-made Chapman for six bucks?
http://smile.amazon.com/Chapman-Midget-Ratchet-ratchet-CM-13/dp/B00FVYLJ8W/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1442622672&sr=8-8&keywords=1%2F4%22+hex+ratchet

Selling the swisschamp sounds like a good idea, frankly I could just return it at this stage, its not been too long. Also; i am thinking very strongly about that wrench, i like having it separate and cheap. I want my SAK to be something that lasts longer than me though.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: September 19, 2015, 07:00:53 AM

(Image removed from quote.)

Wow, that just looks sexy. IDK why, but black scales are just so awesome looking. How hard was that to put on?

-snip-

It came in black to me but scale swaps are easy, folks here can walk you through and there are videos.  AFAIK, mine is a 2005-ish knife because it has the old gray magnifier but also the new stainless metal saw/file.
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline detron

Reply #25 on: September 19, 2015, 07:08:59 AM
Quote from: Tjh link=topic=62071.msg1152993#msg1152993
How would one go about doing that?

this was my first (and only) SAK mod,  here is the thread 

[url
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,51162.0.html[/url]
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 07:10:52 AM by detron »

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #26 on: September 19, 2015, 07:12:33 AM
Thanks alot Detron!  Now I want a mag glass/inline philips layer on my CT41! :)

here are the back tools

us Offline detron

Reply #27 on: September 19, 2015, 07:15:08 AM
Thanks alot Detron!  Now I want a mag glass/inline philips layer on my CT41! :)

here are the back tools

You're welcome  :whistle:

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: September 19, 2015, 05:46:09 PM
OK here's what I learned after carring a Swisschamp. The Champ is a great Mt I never stray to far from mine I just use it way to much to leave it behind. But it's so wide it get in its own way sometimes when you use it for a pocket knife. I usually carry a 2 or 3 layer SAK with it for no other reason then to have a more comfortable knife when I need it. If I where you and I wanted a bit driver I would get the Ct29 for the driver and a more manageable knife to complement your Champ.  This method also gives you a dirty tool and clean tool. I never use my Champ for food prep because it gets used for dirty jobs like working on the sewer on my RV for example. But the thinner SAK never sees a job that dirty so I have no problem using it for food prep. I hope this helps with your decision.
IMG_20150727_072234.jpg
* IMG_20150727_072234.jpg (Filesize: 137.57 KB)
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

us Offline sawman

Reply #29 on: September 19, 2015, 05:59:26 PM
detron, that is a very nice mod you have there :D
SAW

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00