Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Vic kitchen knife rosewood handle smell

Offline Anbaric

Vic kitchen knife rosewood handle smell
on: September 25, 2015, 12:23:27 AM
No really a SAK question, but maybe something you guys have experience with. When using my SAK to cut some bread when travelling the other day, it occurred to me how much sharper the blade was than the knives I use at home in the kitchen. So I went out and bought a Vic paring knife, which happened to have a rosewood handle. It's a great knife, light, well balanced and very sharp. But rather unexpectedly, the handle has a rather strong smell (either the rosewood itself, or perhaps some oil or preservative it has been treated with). I don't have to see the knife to know it's in the kitchen - I can smell it as soon as I walk in! Reading some reviews of this series of knives, I see that several other people have noticed the same thing. It's not exactly unpleasant, but slightly 'medicinal', and not something I'd want to taint my food with (my hands smell of it after using the knife). Any suggestions for 'deodourising' the handle? An extended soak in water maybe helps a bit, but I don't want to overdo this and trash the wood.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%